First Entered 2010
Races Entered 20
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Team Lotus

Tony Fernandes' 1Malaysia F1 team lay claim to one of the most iconic names in F1, Team Lotus. Team Lotus, under the guidance of one of the greatest innovators in F1 Colin Chapman, was in F1 from 1958 to 1994. They took part in 491 Grands Prix, winning 73 races, 7 Constructors Titles, 6 Drivers Championships, 102 poles and 65 fastest laps. During this time some of the greatest F1 drivers drove for Team Lotus including Jim Clark, Stirling Moss, Ayrton Senna, Graham Hill, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jochen Rindt and Nigel Mansell.

2010 Team Lotus

With the support of the Malaysian government via Proton cars and two Malaysian Companies, Tune and Naza Groups, Tony Fernandes entered F1 under the Team Lotus name. Using Cosworth engines and Xtrac gearboxes Lotus signed up experienced drivers for their first season in F1 with Heikki Kovaleinen and Jarno Trulli.

The cars proved reasonably reliable although not quick enough to threaten the mid-field teams. Kovaleinen managed Lotus’ best finish with a 12th place in Japan and the team, based on count back of non-points scoring finishes, were placed 10th in the Constructors Championship – the best of the new teams for 2010.

Lotus announced during 2010 that they would switch to Renault engines for 2011 along with Red Bull gearbox and hydraulic technology. The same driver line up is retained and they will use the T128 chassis.

Whether the team continue to use the Lotus name will be decided in the British High Court. Proton, owners of the Group Lotus name, have moved their allegiance to the former Renault team although ownership of the Team Lotus name is in dispute as this was owned by David Hunt, brother of 1976 World Champion James and sold to Fernandes.

I found this article which gives some explanation.It appears that these are costs which Force India have to pay.
PS Don't ask how you can win a case then have to pay your opponents costs.

That is exactly my question. FI won the case, yet owes 10 times what the loser (catherham) does. I really do not understand.

I think the FI/caterham issue is that caterham offered to settle out of court, and offered more than the court finally awarded (or some similar amount)- as such, the case was a frivolous one, and FI became liable... I could be wrong though!

If Caterham has trouble collecting any points in the next few races, what are the possiblilties of Rossi getting the bump up for a race? I don't know how the rules go for when you bring a reserve/test driver in.
Yes, I'm an American with wishful thinking.

If they got him a Super Licence they could run him.
Edit, he's got one so they can do as they please, I think.

It could be a boost for the team and sport in America if they gave him a shot at the US Grand Prix in November.
I don't even know if he's ready for it. I just want to see an American driver again!

I could be wrong but doesn't he have to drive in an FP session prior to the race to be eligible to compete?

So if you see him driving in Austin on the Friday........

Caterham must be cheered by the news that Toro Rosso have said they are halting further work on their 2012 car to look towards 2013. caterham are still some way short of crossing the gap between also rans and the midfield so they need to keep the effort up. I'm still not sure a point is on the cards this season but its not impossible.

I could be wrong but doesn't he have to drive in an FP session prior to the race to be eligible to compete?
FIA Sporting regulations.
31) PRACTICE SESSIONS
31.1 Save where these Sporting Regulations require otherwise, pit lane and track discipline and safety measures will be the same for all practice sessions as for the race.
31.2 No driver may start in the race without taking part in at least one practice session.
But as usual the FIA make the regulations as clear as mud Qualifying is part of practice.Not part of the race.
Edit.
http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8686/ At each Grand Prix meeting all race drivers may participate in two one and a half-hour practice sessions on Friday (Thursday at Monaco), a one-hour session on Saturday morning and a qualifying session on Saturday afternoon. While individual practice sessions are not compulsory, a driver must take part in at least one Saturday session to be eligible for the race.

Caterham are unveiling a new sponsor in Belgium

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102020

Apparently its going to send a message to the rest of the grid how serious they are about getting the team or to speed. Rumours are rife that is anyone from Apple to Coca Cola - although its probably someone far duller like HSBC or something.

Personally I'd like to see "We Buy Any Car.Com" plastered on the sidepod.

It's looking like next season's driver pairing at Caterham will be Giedo van der Garde and Kovalainen. They need an experienced driver in the team and Kovalainen appears to have been doing a good job for them in recent years, though it does seem he's followed suit of some other drivers in terms of the type of management he has and has signed with one of the largest agencies in the world, IMG to negotiate his 2013 contract. Van der Garde has been shopping for an F1 seat for a few years and now that Petrov's money has run out, vdG has a serious opportunity for a race seat. Add in the fact that after only driving one practice session for Caterham so far this season back in China, they're now putting him in the car for the last few GPs (drove in Practice 1 today and confirmed to drive in Korea) it looks like they giving him time in the car to prepare him for 2013.

Well seeing how the rumor here last year was that van der Garde was going to drive this season until Petrov came along and threw his money around I can definitely see it happening now that Petrov has lost his backing.

I can't see him stick around for long and I really don't think he's actually good enough for F1... He'll just be another pay driver.

Not excited to finally have a Dutch back in F1 then Josh?

Things going from bad to worse for Caterham as the season closes with Petrov being out qualified by both Marussia's and a HRT today! Not what they were hoping for but its hotting up at the back.

Back
Top Bottom