Caption Competitions

The membership has voted against voting for your own entry by a huge majority - so maintain the voting system and ban 'own' votes - is there a problem with that?

The point of the consultation is to find out
Find out what? And which consultation - the 'no own vote' consultation (there is a definitive on that so shouldn't really prove a problem) or the 'how do we score now' consultation?

Is this democracy in action - secure a vote and then ignore it?

Another suggestion was brought up by both FB and RevMaxPower and I intend to ask whether the membership thinks it is worth running Caption Competitions without the votes, which quite frankly are both a pain in the arse and generally poorly responded to.

TBY - stop making life hard for yourself - retain the voting system, and if you can't actually ban 'own votes', just ask that people don't vote for their own caption - in the same way you asked for a cap on the number of entries from each individual.

Is it possible just to tot up the "likes" each caption post receives, and judge it that way? Allows users to post more than one caption, and people to vote for more than one, should they so choose.

I feel rather guilty, as it was voting for myself that opened this particular can of worms - I understood that "own-votes" would be discounted in the event of a tie, and there was no tie in the case in question...

I feel rather guilty, as it was voting for myself that opened this particular can of worms - I understood that "own-votes" would be discounted in the event of a tie, and there was no tie in the case in question...

There would have been a tie if you hadn't voted for yourself - between you and FB, 2 votes each.

I have suggested to a certain person in our midst that voting for oneself wasn't quite kosher a while ago and they had the goodness to be :embarrassed:. He knows who I mean.

So - this one talked to death yet?

I did vote for myself once - felt guilty and didn't bother to again (especially as I didn't sodding win!).

My vote is that this doesn't work for me, but hey, until we win more than a photo of a chocolate bar I guess my true feeling is - knock yourself out :)

If that matter transporter you have been working on in the garage is finished Geoff I can send you the choccy bars direct :D

I can't see the problem personally.

Sometimes I think my entry is the funniest and vote accordingly.

So do I....that is think yours is the funniest..(.caption that is).
But...if some people have bothered to send in a caption.....then maybe an automatic own vote, when an entry is sent in, is the answer?
So all entrants get at least one vote & it 's not negotiable.
No embarrassment because of an own vote...deserved or not...if it's not...it will be an only one, A bit statu quo...whatever

I don't vote on my own, but didn't you tell people off once not to vote for themselves in one of the competitions recently?

I am not at all bothered, it might be unsporting but :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom