Button Welcomes Schumacher

GeoffP

Wake me when we’re there
Contributor
Just seen on the BBC website:

"Jenson Button says he welcomes the return of seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher to the F1 grid.

Schumacher, 40, is coming out of retirement to drive for Ferrari while Felipe Massa recovers from his major crash at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

"It's a tough position for him to be in but I'm happy he's taken up the challenge and it's very brave of him," championship leader Button told BBC WM."

Well, knock me down with a feather, JB wants another fast driver in the mix - could be an ulterior motive here, methinks.

This happy welcome will rebound in Jenson's face with the word IRONY flashing on the screen if Schumi can't beat the Red Bulls, but can beat the Brawns. Which doesn't seem too unlikely!

Well as Red Bull currently have the best car on the grid (IMO), anyone else that comes between them and Brawn will be bad news for Jenson.

anyone else that comes between them and Brawn will be bad news for Jenson.

I'm sure Ross Brawn will have a quiet word in Schumie's shell-like... whilst surreptitiously pouring sugar in his fuel tank! :whistle:

Brogan said:
McZiderRed said:
whilst surreptitiously pouring sugar in his fuel tank! :whistle:
Uh-oh, not the infamous white powder again

That was me, was on a tour of Maranello and stopped off for a "comfort" break, got outside and couldn't find it anywhere. :dontmentionit:

Am I the only one who thought this but:

1) Does Schuey really need a welcome from Jenson
2) Using terms like "Very Brave" is little bit patronising isn't it.

He's not going to be bang on the pace first time out and I've a feeling he will be 9/10ths of the old Schuey.

As was pointed out above it would make me chuckle if Schuey beats Button.

cider_and_toast said:
2) Using terms like "Very Brave" is little bit patronising isn't it.
I thought that too.

I expect MS couldn't give 2 hoots what JB thinks or says thouugh.

cider_and_toast said:
9/10ths of the old Schuey.

is enough to beat almost everyone on the grid today, there a certain young man in a silver car that could give the old man a run for his money ;)

It would prove to be a little embarassing if he can finish ahead of LH. Well for LH at least. The thing is we know the performance levels of the Ferrari. We will now see exactly what MS can do with the car.

If as is more likely it goes the other way and LH beats Schuey, then Schuey fans will say it means nothing because Schuey has been out of the game and is not what he was and Lewis fans will say that Lewis has proven himself against one of the best ever and he's now the greatest. I can imagine how "the other place" will flare up after the race whatever happens.

It would have been more interesting if he had said "I couldn't give a monkeys as long as the old git finishes behind me" but such is the lack of personality of most F1 drivers these days we end up stuck with a corporate automaton response.

Can you imagine how someone like Niki Lauda would have reacted? I remember reading an interview with him in 1980 as Jody Scheckter was driving round towards retirement "I don't understand why Scheckter is ****ing around" he said. Brilliant!

From the same article:

Lewis Hamilton: "He is one of the sport's greatest competitors, a legend - it'd be great to compete against him", a tad sycophantic.

Kimi Raikkonen: "If it really happens I will be happy to partner him, even though it may not have much effect on my own performance", typically Kimi LOL

In James Hunt's biography he tells the story of how on the morning of the 1976 Japanese GP at Fuji, Lauda stormed into Hunt's room in the hotel dressed in his race suit and carrying his helmet. Lauda woke Hunt and said "Today is Ze day I vin the championship" and stormed out again.

As usual, Hunt hadn't exactly gone to be early the night before and was lift a litte bemused and confused.

Both Niki and James were good friends. How times change.

Fat Bloke said:
From the same article:

Lewis Hamilton: "He is one of the sport's greatest competitors, a legend - it'd be great to compete against him", a tad sycophantic.

Kimi Raikkonen: "If it really happens I will be happy to partner him, even though it may not have much effect on my own performance", typically Kimi LOL

It may be sycophatic, but difficult to deny. And btw, that's not typical Kimi, typical Kimi would be to swear at the journalist asking the question and run a mile!

Back
Top Bottom