Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone attempted to qualify for a single World Championship event. He was in a Connaught-Alta, one of a fleet of three entered by himself. He finished qualifying 265.2 seconds off the pace, and his two team-mates failed to qualify as well.

He is, however, the most important single person in Grand Prix history. He took charge of Motor Racing Developments in 1972, from Ron Tauranac. He was the team principal for Nelson Piquet's two drivers' titles, but he'd lost interest by the time Brabham missed the deadline to enter the 1988 World Championship.

Into the governance of the sport he went, and he modernised it, and quickly controlled Formula One. He is now the leader of a billion-dollar industry. He is a divisive figure, but he's not done badly for someone who was four minutes off the pace on a Saturday in Monaco.

Voldemort (Bernie in disguise).

Besides, if it is true that only the good die young, then Bernie should just about live forever!

Last edited:
Now Bernie is saying that all Monza has to do is sign a new contract. Any guesses whose pocket gets more cash from the proposed deal?

Will Buxton asked him what Monza needed to save the race, "a wallet and a pen?" Bernie's response, "I've got the pen" ;)

Remember when Silverstone was off the calendar? And then the British GP was in danger. We've seen this drama before.

He's a mad, megalomaniac !

That's just my opinion, of course, and in no way represents the view of CPA

Last edited:
I think as he owns a massive chunk of the known world and been succesful at everything he's turned his hand too Jen he'd prob argue he's proved it.

Last edited:
I would appreciate it if someone could explain how Bernie owning the television rights to F1 equates to the bribing S.O.B. being able to write the rules of the sport! Was that included in the contract?

Well if you own the TV rights, you could put everyone out of a job, by not showing any F1 on TV.. ever.. unless they do exactly as you say ???

Titch

I really wouldn't see such a threat as being credible. It would render the money they paid for the license a complete waste, as they would be getting ZERO income from it.

If Wiki is to be believed the FIA gets 50% of the TV revenues FOM generates. If FOM don't make any money the FIA don't get anything so FOM could pull the plug without any costs if they chose to.

Back
Top Bottom