Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone attempted to qualify for a single World Championship event. He was in a Connaught-Alta, one of a fleet of three entered by himself. He finished qualifying 265.2 seconds off the pace, and his two team-mates failed to qualify as well.

He is, however, the most important single person in Grand Prix history. He took charge of Motor Racing Developments in 1972, from Ron Tauranac. He was the team principal for Nelson Piquet's two drivers' titles, but he'd lost interest by the time Brabham missed the deadline to enter the 1988 World Championship.

Into the governance of the sport he went, and he modernised it, and quickly controlled Formula One. He is now the leader of a billion-dollar industry. He is a divisive figure, but he's not done badly for someone who was four minutes off the pace on a Saturday in Monaco.

Under 12 what? Stone or 12 feet tall? Only one of these is true..

I had no idea there was such a thing as a Gnome tax benefit..

Last edited:
I'm going to stick my neck on the line here and wait for the law suit and say he may have lied...

Edit

Although he may very well have the mental age of an under twelve year old..

Last edited:
I see on gpupdate.net that Korea is being dropped from the calendar next season so that yet another coubtry with a glorious, indeed storied, history in the sport can make its long-awaited debut. That country is Azerbaijan!!

As far as I can see, and this could be very wrong, Mr E offered a bribe, then having got the result that he wanted, didn't pay it. So he was then threatened with the authorities being told about his tax dealings (blackmail) which caused him to hand over the money.

So was that money a bribe or blackmail?

A cynic might suggest that it was modern business practice!

A bribe is a bribe whether paid or just promised. Blackmail is what it is.

The intriguing part of this conundrum is how did the blackmailer know of BE's tax arrangements in sufficient detail to be able to exert any pressure?

This doesn't actually get him off the hook, all they have done is for the prosecution to clarify that the bribe was offered and then had to be extracted by blackmail. Unfortunately for Bernie just the act of offering the bribe makes him guilty of the charge not whether he paid up or not...

This is just a way of nullifying the defense statement of no bribe being paid, it was blackmail money, honest guv'nor

Titch was there ever any doubt?

The multi billionaire Bernie Ecclestone appears to be one of the luckiest men in the world. I for one can not even fathom how one of the richest men on the planet seems to always be on the end of such good luck. Its a mystery. It really is.

Last edited:
That can be arranged.

screenshot.65.jpg

What I don't understand is that if like Bernie says the geezer in prison was going to blackmail him over his tax status and he also claims the geezer in prison was telling lies about his tax status then why did he pay the geezer in prison hush money on something that is by Bernie's own admittance was never true in the first place, what the **** is it I am missing or is the law truly an ass as Charles Dickens once said.

Back
Top Bottom