Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone attempted to qualify for a single World Championship event. He was in a Connaught-Alta, one of a fleet of three entered by himself. He finished qualifying 265.2 seconds off the pace, and his two team-mates failed to qualify as well.

He is, however, the most important single person in Grand Prix history. He took charge of Motor Racing Developments in 1972, from Ron Tauranac. He was the team principal for Nelson Piquet's two drivers' titles, but he'd lost interest by the time Brabham missed the deadline to enter the 1988 World Championship.

Into the governance of the sport he went, and he modernised it, and quickly controlled Formula One. He is now the leader of a billion-dollar industry. He is a divisive figure, but he's not done badly for someone who was four minutes off the pace on a Saturday in Monaco.

I've just seen a brief interview sky did with him, he looked and sounded like the typical OAP when they were getting quizzed about the latest edition of Countdown. Nothing but one word answers and the odd quip trying to keep with the times but in general he shouldn't be in a position where he has the amount of control that he does have.

I have no problem with him wanting to work, many people after retirement don't have anything to live for and have nothing to motivate them and they literally give up on life. What he should be doing is handing over to someone now while he still has some of his marbles and can influence F1's future.

Last edited:
I am of the total belief that he knows exactly what he is doing. He comes across exactly how he wants to, and never says or does anything accidentally.

That some feel he is a senile old codger who has lost his marbles is something that I feel he wants people to think, a bit like those animals which pretend to be wounded either to ward off attacks or to lure their prey.

No, Bernie is many things, but I am fairly sure he is in total control of all of them!!

image.jpg

Any one care to bet that those "certain conditions" were to give a timetable for an organised hand over of his positions to a replacement?

I never thought I'd have much cause to agree with Max Mosley but I think his personal assessment of Ron Dennis is 100%.

So no and never to Ron as Bernie's replacement.

I have a feeling it will be some relatively unknown (at least to motorsport fans) suit from outside of F1 who takes the hot seat. It will very much depend on what CVC capital decide to do with their share of the sport. Hasn't it been rumoured for some time that they are going to cash up and exit stage left?

As usual, money talks and Bernie will find away I expect.

The man really is a total ****. He won the championship in 83 when teams were getting paid much less money and it was far more equal. He did Brabham over at the end of 87 and went into the buisness of making money off the back of everyone else.

I assume after last weeks mea culpa to smooth the troubled waters he now feels back on solid ground. When will the rug finally be pulled out from underneath this shit of a man.

I couldn't give a crap about the tiny handful of things he's done for F1 (give me an hour and I may be able to think of one).

May I finish with the following heart felt statement.

**** you and **** off Bernie Ecclestone.

It just totally ****s me off. Money has ruined sport after sport. Eccleston's taken a sport I love and turned it into a money generation machine for a bunch of faceless money men who contribute nothing to F1. We talk about CVC and yet none of us know who they are, who is on the board etc.

3/4 of a billion dolars walks out of F1 into the pockets of people who put nothing back in. Not a thing.

Half the races in the UK have gone behind a pay wall (I know most countries are far worse off than us when it comes to coverage), Tickets to a race weekend at Silverstone are now over 200 pound a pop to stand on a grass bank behind a mesh fence, with a lousy view on race day unless you can find someone to buy a kidney and upgrade to a stand.

Several hundred people are out of work this week because their business tried and failed in a world where the rich get richer then turn round and say **** you to those climbing the ladder behind. (Yes I'm talking about you Christian Horner). Remember CH, you are only Bernie's best friend while your winning races and making him money.

Christ I could go on all night, we all know what an ass wipe he is but sadly the damage he's done to F1 can never be undone. Once money leaves, it never comes back. CVC aren't going to give any back, Ferrari and Red Bull etc won't vote to reduce their income.

Until the whole house of cards comes down nothing will change, but then of course, we'll have nothing as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom