Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone attempted to qualify for a single World Championship event. He was in a Connaught-Alta, one of a fleet of three entered by himself. He finished qualifying 265.2 seconds off the pace, and his two team-mates failed to qualify as well.

He is, however, the most important single person in Grand Prix history. He took charge of Motor Racing Developments in 1972, from Ron Tauranac. He was the team principal for Nelson Piquet's two drivers' titles, but he'd lost interest by the time Brabham missed the deadline to enter the 1988 World Championship.

Into the governance of the sport he went, and he modernised it, and quickly controlled Formula One. He is now the leader of a billion-dollar industry. He is a divisive figure, but he's not done badly for someone who was four minutes off the pace on a Saturday in Monaco.

On the original article Bernie suggests that the low TV ratings are one of the reasons F1 might stop going to Monza. To which I ask has Bahrain, China, Russia or India got higher TV ratings than Italy then? Also the TV ratings in France and Holland are pretty dam good but I don't see a race there.

Then he goes on to blame poor TV ratings by saying Kids are getting distracted by Twitter and Facebook. I would suggest this means two things, either a) Bernie has only just heard about Twitter and Facebook and wants to tell the world he knows about it or b) Bernie is rather upset that people can talk about F1 on social media without paying him money and is planning sone ludicrous copyright agreement with them.

Well, I certainly think the World Cup has suffered low TV ratings due to social media, particularly in the USA.

But better blame that than the more realistic idea that F1 is being devalued as a sport by the incessant meddling of an alleged fraudster, borderline senile octogenarian who cares little for the sport he runs as his personal fiefdom.

Look at the CGI message bollocks. Can't imagine that doesn't leave a bad taste in the mouth with anyone.

And the Italian GP is the sole cause of this; you have to admit that if Ferrari were considering leaving F1, he's provided them with all the incentive they need.

Bernie has indeed upped the anti with Ferrari, and who knows this may well be the last straw for them. Not that Bernie will see it that way.

Just watched the driver's conference. JB, PM and LH questioned about Monza. Unanimous in their replies highlighting the key reasons for keeping it on the calendar. No surprises there but just for the heck of it they were;
  • Monza's unique history and historical importance to F1 - losing it would be a bad thing for F1 like losing the British GP
  • Monza's unique character as a circuit - unlike any other on the current calendar
  • The fans - they may be there mainly to support one team [a red one] but their passion for F1 is immense
  • The fans - they fill the house, unlike several on the calendar where the stands are empty
  • The race - for the drivers it always produces a great race [personally I always enjoy Monza]
Monza is synonymous with F1 and visa versa, like Silverstone. Unlike Silverstone, Monza doesn't have a legacy of some appalling conditions in the camp site and car parks so only looking at it as a cash cow is a big mistake. Piss off existing fans any more and F1 really would be in trouble. Of course we need to remember that Ecclestone is as much a comedian as he is an astute and seriously ruthless businessman. It's hard to tell which hat he is wearing when he comes up with his pronouncements and I'm sure that on many occasions it's both.

Last edited:
I don't think Bernie has any intention (now or ever) to drop Monza from the calendar. It is all just posturing on his part to get what he wants and to create F1 publicity.

Suddenly Monza are improving the circuit (which now looks like Bernies influence when it wasn't) and there are suddenly thousands of colum inches and comments on the social media talking about the traditions of the great sport of F1, all in the same week that a new major none Bernie controlled single seater series is launched and is going for maximum publicity.

As usual he turns the handle on the organ and all of us monkeys start dancing.

Yup, that's the ruthless and astute business :goodday:. It's responsible for such things as attracting attention, manipulating the narrative and reaping the reward.

Back
Top Bottom