BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does today's ruling regarding foreign decoders being used in UK for soccer hold any options for us to view SkySports' transmission of F1 for free?

Interesting as in The Murphy case we could find a country that still provides free to air coverage of F1 and purchase that as a European broadcaster and watch the F1 in essence free. Only cost would be to purchase the kit any agreement from Albanian or Slovakian TV.....:D.

The fall out will be interesting, think with this story we'll see a statement from Sky & the Premier League in the next few days!

I actually think they (Sky) will make more money out of this ruling that lose it. It's the Premier League brand that could suffer.

http://www.thisnorthernsoul.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7454.0

Think once the precedent for this is confirmed, then other sports will then start clarifying where they stand with this, in the case of Sky they will have the scenario already agreed, it's the Mr Scudamore's & Ecclestone's that probably/maybe a little bit worried.

Bernies not satisfied with taking away our free to 'view' F1. He is also looking at taking away our free to 'listen' F1 as well.
Due to people potentially listening to 5 Live on the radio whilst watching foreign decoders he sounds like he is now targeting 5 live f1 broadcast rights.

I quote :
Speaking about the idea of fans listening to Radio 5 coverage while watching on a foreign channel, Ecclestone said: "That's if 5Live still have the rights.

Is this man trying to kill f1 in Britain ? It just seems to be attack after attack. He has to go.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95056

Mark Thompson has just confirmed that the BBC will show 75 minutes of highlights for those races they don't broadcast live.

...which is exactly what Bernie said they'd be broadcasting all along. :rolleyes:

What I found irritating was when the BBC were announcing their cutbacks yesterday, they mentioned that the F1-Sky-share deal saved the BBC more than any other cutback scheme they could think of. I'm sooo delighted that we F1 fans end up footing the bill so BBC3 can continue showing rubbish programs about "yoof" & Eastenders repeats and we can have 2 Childrens' channels. I'd have thought less TV aimed at kids was better than more - never had channels just for kids when I were a lad, we 'ad to mek do wi' just the 3 channels, and they'd only be on t'air fer 3 hours at suppertime...we med us own entertainment, or went out on t'pushbikes...Ay, it nevva dirrus any 'arm like...

If you do know a friend who is a sky sports subscriber, you could do what I'm going to do.

Sky now do "sky go" meaning you can watch sky on up to 3 devices, laptop, phone, tablet etc - All you'll need is your mate's log-in details and you can watch on your computer.

I have to say, the thing that annoys me most about the whole F1/BBC/Sky debacle is that the BBC execs seem to genuinely believe that their deal with sky is somehow doing a favour to the F1 viewing public....
They have to spin it for the viewers.......even in the Mail today we've seen as License payers have been stumping up thousands of pounds payments for MP's to go on Question Time so they can trumpet their own gang & their policies........The BBC have to spin it to justify having a communist License fee we are all forced to pay without the choice even if we say just want to watch TV without BBC1, BBC2 etc......

Be interesting to see the 75 minute debate, I reckon it will be a 75 minute program with around 60 minutes of action.

Just out of curiosity, if you guys were to get the Sky F1-subscription, how much would you have to pay? Or is this still a secret?
Sky Germany has the rights here as well and you have to pay a minimum of 33.90€/month to watch it...but you don't have any football then of course;)
We got FTA here with RTL but the race is interrupted with a lot of commercials commercials are interrupted with some bits of the race...

Be interesting to see what the Sky coverage is, & how it will be distributed?

I just hope Sky subscribers aren't going to be screwed further, by F1 being on Sky's new and improved channel Sky Sports 5 which costs an extra £10 a month on top of Sports subscriptions and as part of the new & improved channel you'll get to see F1 it's new sport spectacular.

I hope not but I wouldn't put it past them to get more from the viewers instead of adding F1 as part of the existing Sports packages and therefore it's existing sports package subscribers.

Reactions: mjo
Be interesting to see the 75 minute debate, I reckon it will be a 75 minute program with around 60 minutes of action.

I think the 'extended highlights' would have worked if:

a) it was full race highlights,
b) if the races which the beeb do not broadcast are asian i.e. early in the morning.

So now we are just waiting for the Sky coverage details (even though I won't be watching any of it) and what races the BBC are broadcasting.

I'm unfortunately resigned to the fact that Sky will have f1 in the future. :(

Be interesting to see what the Sky coverage is, & how it will be distributed?

I just hope Sky subscribers aren't going to be screwed further, by F1 being on Sky's new and improved channel Sky Sports 5 which costs an extra £10 a month on top of Sports subscriptions and as part of the new & improved channel you'll get to see F1 it's new sport spectacular.

If they've not done it with Champions League football, then they're not going to do it with F1!

I'm unfortunately resigned to the fact that Sky will have f1 in the future. :(

You're not alone I have Sky Sports & ESPN and it's not for the football, I subscribe to watch NFL & NCAA football and it gets switched off in February, though I have to tell them in January. I'll miss F1 next season for the first time in over 30 years, for me it's the principle, we've been sold down the river through a technicality. Could you imagine the uproar if BBC only showed the 1st half of the FA Cup final? (they do still have the FA Cup???) :dunno:

If they've not done it with Champions League football, then they're not going to do it with F1!

I wouldn't put it past them.................are you not worried by the silence......

The problem is that Sky is just too expensive. You would think with billions of pounds of profit they could make it cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom