Sky subscription will be worth it to avoid the shambles that is now the BBC

Football is different, they hire many pundits to give the views representing fans of clubs

So if it was a Man u vs Arsenal game they might wheel out lee Dixon and Neville

Unless you mean that gormless Neville will actually be the commentator over 90 minutes each match all season and will he still be getting paid by Red Bull Man U to actively promote the team?

Anyway, like I said in the OP, I don't like the Brundle show on BBC, and I am glad there might be a viable alternative

I may be the only person to speak up my different opinion to you, but I THINK YOU ARE WRONG.
Yes, there is bias in the F1. So, what? You could claim the red bull bias, but at the same time red bull are WINNING BOTH CHAMPIONSHIPS. The Team in my opinion is GOD-DAMN PERFECT. Ted kravitz has given excellent insight to the pit lane. Lee Mckenzie given great interviews. Martin has given me plenty of knowledge that I simply did not know as I am not a racing driver. Eddie, although I do not always agree with his views, I can appreciate his opinion as he gives a team perspective. I perhaps agree with you on Coulthard and of the team is personally my least favourite, but FAR surpasses Jonathan ledgard who made constant factual errors and had no chemistry with martin. Jake as a presenter ties them all together nicely. The chemistry in the team works nicely and is a pleasure to watch. it for me it the absolute pinacle of coverage and would be very surprised if sky could surpass it. If you want it as a news channel then you probrably don't need any commentry at all and would prefer to only have the FOM feed.
I just feel that you are alone on this, there is around 6800 comments on the bbc article about the sky announcement. Even during the forum it's not exactly just their opinion, one fan shouted in to the mic. we don't want sky!
Sorry for the rant, I am tired, I'm just so sick of people complaining on teh interwebs just for the sack of complaining.

One positive is those who do purchase the Sky Sports subscription will be able to watch all the other motorsport such as GP2, etc.

I'm still loathe to give any more money to them though.
GP2 is on Eurosport - as are GP3, Le Mans (live coverage of the whole event), WTCC, MotoGP, World Superbikes, British Superbikes. Eurosport comes included free (HD available at extra cost) in my Virgin Media TV service via cable, so I don't even need a big black saucer on the side of my house.

GP2 is on Eurosport - as are GP3, Le Mans (live coverage of the whole event), WTCC, MotoGP, World Superbikes, British Superbikes. Eurosport comes included free (HD available at extra cost) in my Virgin Media TV service via cable, so I don't even need a big black saucer on the side of my house.
Lucky you, I had Virgin where I was living before, but am not in a cable area now. The thing I miss most is the internet speeds, I am paying more now for my internet than I was there and it is about 4-5x slower.. :(:disappointed:

Lucky you, I had Virgin where I was living before, but am not in a cable area now. The thing I miss most is the internet speeds, I am paying more now for my internet than I was there and it is about 4-5x slower.. :(:disappointed:
Yep, I ran Speedtest.net on my nominal 20Mb broadband service and got a download speed of around 19.5.

Anyway, back on topic; I was initially disappointed that DC chose to continue his dual role as Red Bull ambassador and his supposedly impartial commentating / punditry for the BBC, as the conflict of interests is not insignificant. Overall though I think he has improved since the start, and his commentary along with MB has been streets above what we got with either Legard or Allen before him.

But if Sky are determined to hook Martin Brundle with a £1m offer, and if the same commentary team is used by Sky and the Beeb anyway, could he resist? He would be mad to wouldn't he? In which case we might see no change at all, at least in the commentary box (not sure whether Sky want DC as well though, we'll have to wait and see what transpires on that front).

Although I have enjoyed the presenting team of Jake Humphrey, DC and EJ (not always for the right reasons) maybe a change next year wouldn't be such a bad thing depending on who replaced them, although I would miss the input of Ted Kravitz and Lee MacKenzie from the pit lane. It will be interesting to see if those two move over to Sky, or if their services are also shared.

Is the BBC really a shambles? I loved missing Schumacher's engine blow-up (A critical moment in the World Championship) on ITV. With the BBC, you might get a bit too much excitement over the race winner (Australia was a bit of a Vettel love-in, likewise China for Hamilton, and Hungary for Button) but it never goes beyond just the natural desire to be close to a race winner. Although Ted Kravitz spends too much time 'down at McLaren', I know that he is catering for a British audience, and its not as if he camps down there giving no acknowledgement to any other team. Eddie Jordan may say quite a lot of strange things, mainly because he can't explain things too coherently, but he has grabbed important people at important times (Domenicali after Germany 2010). Overall, the BBC has provided much better coverage than ITV ever did, and I fear it will go back to that level of quality at Sky, whilst either fleecing or depriving millions.

Is the BBC really a shambles? ...Overall, the BBC has provided much better coverage than ITV ever did, and I fear it will go back to that level of quality at Sky, whilst either fleecing or depriving millions.
If we're comparing BBC with ITV, we must never forget that in the dark days of ITV we missed, through the advert breaks, on average 20% of each race; that's 1 lap in five, or 12 laps of a 60 lap race like the British GP. I know, because I timed them on more than one occasion. The worst offence was when we completely missed the end of one of the most thrilling races in Formula 1 at Imola in 2005, where Alonso held off Schumacher for 11 laps, and ITV went to a break 3 laps from the end. They repeated the last three laps after the break and had to apologise publicly during the build-up to the following GP. An absolute disgrace and a low point in sports broadcasting.
The breaks were all the more infuriating because they insisted introducing each break with the sponsor's (initially the Telegraph I think, then later Sony) titles followed by ITV Sport titles, then the ads, then the ITV title again followed by the sponsor's logo again. I very nearly went off Sony, as well as ITV, completely.

I'd gladly put up with a little bias here and there in the commentary rather than go back to that nightmare.

I have to agree with Cookin' on some extent, I really got sick of the Button love-fest during the 2009 season and 2010 season, this season it's a bit toned down, but even so, it really put me off liking the guy. Another thing, it ruins the BBC forum aswell...it has just been so poor, and it's not just one BBC member, they all do it, if it was one guy it would be fine, but the whole team is a bit...that's why I understand Cookin's view.

It's nearly as bad as ITV with Hamilton...

I agree and disagree, MB is amazing and so is Jake and Ted and Eddid (even when talking nonsense) and so is DC and the rest, there on screen chemistry is amazing and there british do you really expect them to be biased towards maldonado or somebody? Most of the viewers are british and they want to know about the Brits.
James allen was a good commentator before his obsession with Button and hammy and Murray was great because of his relaxed style and managing to see the best in drivers e.g Schumi adelaide 94.
Sky will argueably have a worse team than the BBC trio and will probably be in a studio like the indycar coverage but I like the BBC coverage and team and putting up with them liking button isn't a problem despite me liking hamilton more, when I commentate on my fifa matches (I am a quite good commentator actually) I try to be as non-biased as possible but at the end of the day the team I want to win more gets the favourable treatment its human nature.

I used to watch ITV coverage with the 5Live or 5Live Sports Extra radio commentary on via the surround sound through the Sky box. Give it a try Cookin, I got rid of James Allen in an instant an my F1 watching improved massively. You also get updates on the cricket, football and get to hear the occasional horse race :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom