BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose they could. However, those billions of pounds of profit talk a bit louder than a thousand disgruntled people, to some ears.

:no: I watch enough Doctor Who to know that I should be!

But I think they've got a business model already that works very nicely for them!

See & in you're own words "that works nicely for them!" not us the punters, them as a Sky corporation and their Media outlet.

What we need is some like this, ironically a BBC programme:

citizensmith.jpg

Oh they will definitely be a drop in viewing figures in the UK next season, but if those fewer people bring in more money through subscriptions Bernie wont care!

But the teams' sponsors will mind though. "Why spend such and such sponsoring a team, when fewer people are seeing it?", the sponsors will think. Less viewers = less sponsors money... :dunno:

Suppose as they will be viewed across the world though It may not make much difference to them.

I suppose the question is, is anyone going to pay for sky just for F1?

Football is a very different story - this season, Sky are committed to showing 115 matches live. This compares with 20 F1 races next season, half of which will be available for free elsewhere - so they've got exclusivity on 10 races. Essentially, if you're paying for sky for just those 10 races, you're paying something of the order of £40 per race.... - compared with about £4 per football match...... It just makes no sense.

Bye bye casual viewers

Bye bye high ratings.

Bye bye F1.

If you're a "casual" viewer then you probably don't care too much if you're watching the race live or in tape delay. There should be plenty of people watching F1 on the BBC to keep sponsors satisfied, right?

If you're a "casual" viewer then you probably don't care too much if you're watching the race live or in tape delay. There should be plenty of people watching F1 on the BBC to keep sponsors satisfied, right?
But there will only be extended highlights, not full races, so the BBC won't devote much coverage at all to f1 (I'm assuming)
The only way I can see this working is if they tape delay all the asian races (and also Valencia) but make sure it is a FULL tape delay. But as that probably won't happen, the viewership will decrease - I'm sure many people only watch due to the amount of coverage being devoted to the races.

You can certainly fit all of the action into 75 minutes though. That should satisfy the "casual viewer".

It'll be very interesting to see how this plays out though.

Me too, I’m not a casual viewer but no way am I buying sky sports for just 10 F1 races, that’s a rip off. A total race just delayed I could accept, not be 100% happy but would easily accept rather than a subscription. A delayed highlights is rubbish, I once had to watch a race on highlights when I was away and the video failed and its just not the same, I didn’t get a feel for the race, no build up, no enjoyment just felt like clips.

If I watched football it might be worth it, but I don’t, id only be buying it for 10 F1 races.

I will still watch what BBC broadcasts, even crappy highlights but my enthusiasm wont be the same when I cant follow it race to race properly and this is why the casual view may not even bother watching.

I hope the viewing figures in the UK plummet massively next year, Bernie wont care as we’re a small country but the teams and their sponsors might care as half of them are based in the UK.

Rant over!

Reactions: mjo
Casual viewers will leave in droves and even hardcore fans who can't or won't subscribe to Sky will be disappear eventually

Well I shall be upgrading my subscription to include Sky sports and I'll probably never leave the house again what with all the football and cricket as well as the F1. For a small fee you may come and watch through my living room window if you want LOL

I'll reluctantly pay the extra for the sports channel.

I already have HD so what's another £10 per month on top of the £50 I already pay?

Still not sure why we have Sky these days, I very rarely watch any TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom