BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BBC's coverage is Anglocentric to levels that should embarrass a national broadcaster!
What disturbs me is the panel chosen, no "ordinary" people were involved.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/8358364.stm#list

This is typical of how the Beeb has failed to move into the 21st Century. It is a class ridden old nag that needs putting out to pasture.

By the way, nothing has ever been "free to air" TV. The ordinary person in the street pays a shed load more in percentage terms of their income on the license fee, service provision rental and/or the equipment needed to watch than do the better off. Collectively us ordinary mortals are in effect subsidising the rich. Nothing new there, that's our so called free society at work.

Welcome to equality, egalite and fraternity in the 21st Century.

BBC coverage: 12p per race per viewer.

Sky coverage: anyone care to fill in the blank?

I have the Sky HD package but without 'Sports'
To add the sky sports channels would cost me an extra £10 a month.
So 19? races next year paying for watching 9 or 10? of them live makes it £12 a race.

Except for races heavily affected by rain or safety cars etc. 75 minutes is close enough to the whole race that it won't make much difference though hopefully? And I guess if a race is affected by red flags, safety cars etc. they will just cut out the delays anyway so you shouldn't be missing any more racing?

I'm assuming this is 75 minute race coverage, not a 75 minute programme?

Except for races heavily affected by rain or safety cars etc. 75 minutes is close enough to the whole race that it won't make much difference though hopefully? And I guess if a race is affected by red flags, safety cars etc. they will just cut out the delays anyway so you shouldn't be missing any more racing?

That's not the assumption I would make.

The last line of the Independent article Bro posted from Bernie is "The BBC will broadcast 75 minutes of every race". The story seems to be changing every five minutes though so who know what's going to happen.

Have the BBC commented on whether or not they did block other boradcasters (ITV, C4) from taking the rights to F1? I seem to remember they made a really vague comment recently but can't find it...

Strongly disagree with that; any amount of editing race coverage and you immediately lose the time-scale of events/ gaps etc - fundamental to those of us who want to see the lap-by-lap progression of the race.
I would guess that 75 minutes means the whole program i.e. 10-15 minutes of filler from Humphrey or some other numpty.

As an example from my own viewing; for the couple of races I've missed this season, I've recorded the whole thing and watched back, avoiding any radio/TV news that might spoil it.
If highlights were the option, I probably wouldn't bother avoiding the result.

Why is Ecclestone speaking on behalf of the BBC regarding their coverage?

And have the BBC uttered any clarification since their announcement last month?

With all the FOTA initiatives to involve fans more in F1, we're certainly being treated like mugs over this. Mind you, you suspect even FOTA (their President no less) is informed similarly, with the contradictory statements that Ecclestone comes out with.

BTW, we do have a couple of members who work for the BBC, including the actual F1 programme.

So just bear that in mind when you're ripping in to the BBC and the presenters :D

BTW, we do have a couple of members who work for the BBC, including the actual F1 programme.

So just bear that in mind when you're ripping in to the BBC and the presenters :D
I there any way you could "kindly pressure them" into giving some clarification on the situation?

By the way, 25,134 signatures on the petition. 1/4 of the way there!

Of course an alternative to watching on the BBC or Sky would be to get a 'Free to Air' satellite system so you could pick up european tv and watch the German coverage with the sound off and 5 Live on the radio.

Yes thats right I am a genius. Your welcome. ;)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/tv-and-satellite/satellite

You might also be able to find an internet site that streams European free to air channels, allegedly

if its free to air then I expect that there should be no legal issues watching the stream

Autosport says the Beeb is still evaluating whether or not to show full races later on, perhaps online or on the red button. But they won't comment on it until a final decision has been made, perhaps Bernie spoke too soon... I hope so.

Autosport says the Beeb is still evaluating whether or not to show full races later on, perhaps online or on the red button. But they won't comment on it until a final decision has been made, perhaps Bernie spoke too soon... I hope so.
What irritates me about the BBC's vacillation over highlights-vs-delayed reruns is that the full rerun looks like it's being deliberately held back due to "making the Sky package less attractive".

Which says everything about the heart of this deal to me...FOM/CVC are perfectly happy for us to pay through the nose for our coverage. I suspect it's more about paving the way for an eventual News Corp buyout of the commercial rights at some point in the future - as I said earlier, it's the (not-so) thin end of the wedge...:disappointed:

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being something like short highlights on Sundays with full re-runs available Online, via the Red Button and possibly on TV on Mondays.

I see people dissing Legard once again.

The guy was class...sheer class.

Gave me lots of quotes and funny moments.

One of my favourites, it was raining in Korea last year, Glock comes in to the pits, and no one knows what's going on, and Legard turns round and says.

"TIMO GLOCK IN!!! What does he know what we don't???!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom