BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now if you want to watch F1, you have to fork out an additional £500-£600

But aren't most people paying that already to whatever cable provider they have.

I guess my question is this, if you already have Sky, will you have to pay an additional fee now to receive F1? And if you have to switch to Sky from Virgin, will it be that much more expensive?

But aren't most people paying that already to whatever cable provider they have.
Not everyone has pay services such as Sky.
A significant percentage of the population just pay the BBC license fee and receive the "free to air" channels.

I guess my question is this, if you already have Sky, will you have to pay an additional fee now to receive F1? And if you have to switch to Sky from Virgin, will it be that much more expensive?
If you don't subscribe to the sports channels and/or HD, yes, you will need to pay more.

Time to buy some Sky shares I would have thought...especially after the big drop last week.

Sushi, it has already been confirmed there won't be adverts.

I'd rather buy shares in..... well I could list some really nasty companies but then you'd all think I was a total sicko.... suffice to say I think

:censored: off

Sums it up better.

Disappointing but not surprising.

Just as F1 was starting to appeal to a bigger audience they take it away - no doubt with the hope that the newly converted will hasten over to Sky to get their F1 fix.

I won't be among them. Adam Parr's comments reek of unashamed greed. The man is a slimeball, pure and simple.

For that £500-600 I could find a lot of other great things to do with my Sundays, motorsport related or not. I could get down to Le Mans, and Silverstone. I could go watch a BTCC day, and maybe some bike racing.

If you are going to watch it online, and want to watch it live....

Here's a heads up...

Go to vipstand.com, as justintv gets closed down as F1 and his big boys shut everything to do with F1 there, if vipstand doesn't work then try justintv a few hours after the grand prix as the channel will be back up there. If anyone wants the link to the Justintv channel then let me know.

Just don't spread it too much, or that will be shut down, too

I should qualify my most recent post ... and thanks Cider, for that excellent elucidation ...

Yes, I could upgrade my Virgin Media package to include Sky Sports but I can barely afford the package I've got. The only way I could do perhaps keep the cost down would be to switch to Sky.

Virgin Media, take note!

I'm not poor! Just maxed out. millions of UK citizens are worse of than me!

As I'm not in the UK, I'm a little hazy on the details here. Don't you have to pay for the BBC anyway, through licensing and fees? And don't many people have a cable provider for other channels and whatnot?

Would it be that much more expensive to switch over to Sky? It would just be a cable box in the house, not a satellite outside, right?.
The problem is, we have no option to pay for a cable or satellite service instead of paying the licence fee, as all commercial packages include the BBC channels. So we are stuck with paying the licence fee and the cost of any Sky Sports channels on top. So it's effectively a form pay-per-view.

Noooooo, i don't want to watch it with some crappy belgian commentators.
If there is no other way to watch it live on british tv than i have to download it.

Chad Stewarthill said:
The problem is, we have no option to pay for a cable or satellite service instead of paying the licence fee, as all commercial packages include the BBC channels. So we are stuck with paying the licence fee and the cost of any Sky Sports channels on top. So it's effectively a form pay-per-view.

I see. Certainly not an ideal situation for the consumer.

Sky, keeps cricket going on and on if it's delayed by the rain, even if it's the whole day! So I don't think that will be a problem

what about the other countries who take the BBC feed? Can see that leaving them out in the cold a bit, unless they get the 5 Live commentary instead.

fat jez, yea, I remember an interview in a local magazine with Bernie, mentioning teh fact that tons of Belgian viewers tuned in on BBC instead of the local broadcasters. His response was: "I didn't know that, we need to do something about it."
I feel left in the cold indeed, I haven't missed a single race since BBC started coverage in 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom