BBC to axe F1 from 2013? Confirmed - F1 will be on Sky from 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please sign this Petition to keep it on the BBC, if enough people sign it hopefully someone will see sense:
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/keepf1onthebbc

It was only made an hour ago and already has 1,400 signatures, also anyone with Twitter could they possibly post it on Martin Brundle's account please?

One more request could members with accounts on other F1 Forums l post this link on their sites please.

My notes where apparently too long, as I was ranting away...can't even have a good rant at the BBC even when signiing a petition!

Sadly, the BBC won't give two toots about a petition unless each person who signs it mails the director general a tenner. This at the end of the day, is all about the dosh. The Beeb were laughing themselves silly at winning F1 coverage back from ITV after they made another horlicks of bidding way to high for sports coverage. (Remember ITV digital anyone?). Now it seems, what goes around comes around and it's the BBC's turn to run out of cash.

For a public service broadcaster they really seem to forget the Public part of that statement.

For those members who live outside of the UK, I would be looking on in deep concern. When this transfer takes place it will act as the precedent for all F1 coverage world wide to consider PPV. Sadly pandora's box has been openend and there is no way back from this now.

Pessamistic? Absolutely.

Never going to happen.

The deal has been done and the BBC have already made it clear they're not going to fork out £50m per season for F1.

Absolutely agree. There's no chance in Hell (excuse the phrase) but I have created this to keep it simple and enable folks to find the link to the petition as easily as possible.

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/bbc-sky-f1-sharing-have-you-signed-the-petition.3406/

If it's possible to do this and still enable voting - could a Mod' make it a "no reply" item, please.

To be honest, Sky don't show adverts when sports or on, especiall not on football, and only 30s break in cricket when a dude gets out, plus in Tennis when they go for a drinks break. So I doubt F1 will have adverts.

I have Sky, and Skysports, and I am not happy, but as I have Sky, I am not at such a disadvantage as you guys and I feel for you. It was something that was eventually going to happen. It was either Channel 4 or Channel 5 (channel 5 is as broke as it is), so it was going to be Sky.

I suppose you can blame BBC for spoiling us, first of all by having two commentray teams, then showing us practice and classic F1, the F1 forum, as good as that is, don't you think if they cutted that out they would save hell of a lot?

As long as I get qualifying and the race full and live, on BBC I would be happy, practice, and the forum (which has been so rubbish recently) Classic F1 is a bonus, why they have two commentray teams is beyond me, stick to one.

I heard that they on Sky will show F1 in HD only? That's another £10 a month and £120 for a new box and installation, I was thinking about getting a HD box anyway but...

I'm absolutely speechless - I really don't know what to say. As soon as I find my words though its going in a very strongly worded letter to the BBC - more for my benifit than theres. Awful day

As I'm not in the UK, I'm a little hazy on the details here. Don't you have to pay for the BBC anyway, through licensing and fees? And don't many people have a cable provider for other channels and whatnot?

Would it be that much more expensive to switch over to Sky? It would just be a cable box in the house, not a satellite outside, right?

Personally, I find it absolutely amazing that the BBC have been able to provide such extensive coverage over the last 3 years for "free".

Absolutely agree. There's no chance in Hell (excuse the phrase) but I have created this to keep it simple and enable folks to find the link to the petition as easily as possible.

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/bbc-sky-f1-sharing-have-you-signed-the-petition.3406/

If it's possible to do this and still enable voting - could a Mod' make it a "no reply" item, please.

Can't go down without a fight ;)

What will we tell our grandchildren? F1 was lost to Sky...and we just sat there moaning and groaning? Let's go to the studio and protest, we will take up anything that gets in our way, and then after that march down to Bernie and show him that fans are important, if it wasn't for them he wouldn't be as half as rich!

I have a dream!!!!!

Reactions: mjo
Keke, the license fee is £150 per year - everyone has to pay that regardless (more or less).

Now if you want to watch F1, you have to fork out an additional £500-£600 to watch it on Sky.

As I'm not in the UK, I'm a little hazy on the details here. Don't you have to pay for the BBC anyway, through licensing and fees? And don't many people have a cable provider for other channels and whatnot?

Would it be that much more expensive to switch over to Sky? It would just be a cable box in the house, not a satellite outside, right?

Personally, I find it absolutely amazing that the BBC have been able to provide such extensive coverage over the last 3 years for "free".

I wonder what Virgin Media are thinking right now with the threat that large numbers of their subscribers will need to jump ship to Sky?

It's bad enough that in the era when we were promised more choice we are down to just two large volume cable providers. How long will Virgin last before it cannot compete. Then we get that long dreaded Sky monopoly.

Might as well give it all to Murdoch now and be done with it. He'll get it on the end anyway ... with a little help from the evil white haired goblin.

Yes Keke, We have to pay for the BBC weather we watch it or not. You can't own a TV or item capable of receiving a TV broadcast without owning a TV licence.

With a TV licence you get Freeview which is basically around 20 or so channels of TV (the main UK broadcast networks plus a few extras). There are two main subscription services which are Sky and Virgin Media. Most of the others committed economic suicide trying to buy up sporting rights for way over the odds.

Sky reception tends to be via a small dish on the wall of your house where as the primary method of receiving Virgin media is via a cable.

Sky sports can be added to any of the packages (freeview, sky or virgin) as it is a seperate subscription service that can be purchased independantly.

Sky recently lost a case in the European Courts so it now has to charge other broadcasters a standard rate to make Sky available on their services and the EU has also tried to break their virtual manopoly on sports broadcasting and in particular on Football.

Look at it this way, at least the BBC can concentrate on quality content now, such as X Fuckwits, Strictly Crap Dancing, Eastenders >:(, Doctor WTF.

And just think of all the extra period dramas they can produce!

Woo fucking hoo!

(It's a good job my daughter's sleeping and not reading all these expletives!)

No adverts on sky during the race - won't affect me anyway unless I decided to watch an online stream.

No, it will be more expensive for those that do not already have Sky. We do not get a choice in paying for the bloody BBC, it is £145 a year and if you can't pay it, you can get fined.

Sky is a subscription on top of that and sky sports is another subscription on top of that, you can not have sky sports without having a basic subscription, so it is at least another £40 per month on top of the tv license.

:givemestrength:>:(:givemestrength:

I'm not sure of the officiality of this but i've perhaps just stumbled across some good news:

mj says July 29, 2011 10:51am
I think it could be a good deal. My only concern is the adverts. Will Sky let us watch the full race un-interrupted or will they have adverts throughout the race? I think they should have adverts before and after the race. If they are in the middle of the race then I would probably turn off

Editor says

The races will be advert-free, MJ

From here: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12773_7066182,00.html

Yay?

Time to buy some Sky shares I would have thought...especially after the big drop last week.

Sushi, it has already been confirmed there won't be adverts.

I wonder what Virgin Media are thinking right now with the threat that large numbers of their subscribers will need to jump ship to Sky?

It's bad enough that in the era when we were promised more choice we are down to just two large volume cable providers. How long will Virgin last before it cannot compete. Then we get that long dreaded Sky monopoly.

Might as well give it all to Murdoch now and be done with it. He'll get it on the end anyway ... with a little help from the evil white haired goblin.

You can get SkySports on VirginMedia - you just have to pay (£28 pm, IIRC). Sadly I'm in the process of moving house - to a non-cable area, so I'd have to get SKY anyway (and I'm really not happy about it, but after years of excellent cable TV I just can't go back to Freeview, I really can't...:disappointed:).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom