Ask The Apex

Seasons with Seven Or More Winners

1968 7 (Stewart, G Hill, Hulme, Clark, McLaren, Ickx, Siffert) from 4 constructors (Lotus, McLaren, Matra, Ferrari)
1970 7 (Rindt, Ickx, Brabham, Stewart, P Rodriguez, Reggazoni, E Fittipaldi) from 5 constructors (Lotus, Ferrari, Brabham, March, BRM)
1974 7 (Peterson, E Fittipaldi, Reutemann, Lauda, J Scheckter, Hulme, Reggazoni) from 5 constructors (McLaren, Ferrari, Lotus, Brabham, Tyrell)
1975 9 (Lauda, E Fittipaldi, Pace, J Scheckter, Mass, Hunt, Reutemann, Brambilla, Regazzoni) from 6 constructors (Ferrari, McLaren, Brabham, Tyrell, Hesketh, March)
1976 7 (Hunt, Lauda, Regazzoni, J Scheckter, Watson, Peterson, Andretti) from 6 constructors (McLaren, Ferrari, Tyrell, Penske, March, Lotus)
1977 8 (Andretti, Lauda, J Scheckter, Hunt, Reutemann, Nilsson, Laffite, Jones) from 6 constructors (Lotus, Ferrari, Wolf, McLaren, Ligier, Shadow)
1979 7 (Jones, J Scheckter, G Villeneuve, Laffite, Depailler, Jabouille, Regazzoni) from 4 constructors (Ferrari, Williams, Ligier, Renault)
1980 7 (Jones, Piquet, Arnoux, Pironi, Reutemann, Laffite, Jabouille) from 4 constructors (Williams, Renault, Brabham, Ligier)
1981 7 (Piquet, Prost, Reutemann, G Villeneuve, Laffite, Jones, Watson) from 6 constructors (Williams, Renault, Brabham, Ferrari, Ligier, McLaren)
1982 11 (Prost, Watson, Pironi, Lauda, Arnoux, Patrese, Piquet, Tambay, De Angelis, K Rosberg, Alboreto) from 7 constructors (McLaren, Renault, Ferrari, Brabham, Lotus, Williams, Tyrell)
1983 8 (Prost, Arnoux, Piquet, Watson, Tambay, K Rosberg, Alboreto, Patrese) from 6 constructors (Renault, Ferrari, Brabham, McLaren, Williams, Tyrell)
1985 8 (Prost, Alboreto, Senna, Mansell, K Rosberg, De Angelis, Piquet, Lauda) from 5 constructors (McLaren, Ferrari, Lotus, Williams, Brabham)
2003 8 (M Schumacher, R Schumacher, Montoya, Barrichello, Coulthard, Raikkonen, Fisichella, Alonso) from 5 constructors (Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, Jordan, Renault)
2008 7 (Massa, Hamilton, Raikkonen, Alonso, Kubica, Kovalainen, Vettel) from 5 constructors (Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, BMW, Toro Rosso)
wow, thanks for compiling that impressive list, it really highlights how competition has become fiercer as time has progressed

But you are correct. Keke Rosberg did indeed win the 1982 WDC despite only winning one race but with 44 points ahead of Pironi (2nd) and Watson (3rd) both on 39 points. Pironi pipped Watson due to countback, having two wins and two third places against Watson's two wins and one third place.

No second places? :D

F1 Points Systems

1950-1959 - 8, 6, 4, 3, 2 FL-1
1960 - 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1
1961-1990 - 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1
1991-2002- 10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1
2003-2009- 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
2010-2011- 25,18,15,12,10,8,6,4,2,1

1950 - 1980 & 1985 - 1990 only the best results were chosen.

People go on about how 1 lap qualifying format ruined DC's career and he never really got to grips with it.

Despite watching since the days of Hakkinen the 1st qualifying I watched was Monza 2008 (what an ominous omen).

I only know of 1 lap format, what was used before?

People go on about how 1 lap qualifying format ruined DC's career and he never really got to grips with it.

Despite watching since the days of Hakkinen the 1st qualifying I watched was Monza 2008 (what an ominous omen).

I only know of 1 lap format, what was used before?

2006 - Present: The Knock out Session we currently have now. There have been variations during this period, with top 10 having to declare there fuel load before Q3 and what tyres your allowed to start on

First 6 races of 2005: Aggregated Times from two one lap sessions. The first session you was could use as little fuel has you like, The second session Race fuel had to be included too. No refuelling Before the face. This was extremly unpopular with fans and teams and was dropped, retuning to the One session, One Lap format

2003-2004, 2005: Two 1 lap sessions. The first session would determined the running Order for the second session. The second session would be the only one that determined the Grid for the Race and also had to include Race fuel.

1996-2002: One 60 minute session limited to 12 Laps. All drivers had to be within 107% of the pole time.

1993-1995: Two 60 minute Sessions limited to 12 Laps. One on Friday one on Saturday. Best time over the two sessions determined the Grid for the Race.

1989-1993: Two 60 minute Sessions, Unlimited Laps. Best time over the two sessions determined the Grid for the Race. Included a Pre-qualifying session due to the amount of entries, to limit the main qualfying session to 30 cars The top 4 from this sesson goes through to the Main Quali.

Before 1988 is uknown to me excatly but would of consisted of a timed session similar to practice now. With the Best times forming the grid.

Also some notes, Before 1996 Entires were unlmimted. The Top 26 would make the grid. 1993 an execption 24 and 25 would make the grid. And also Monaco until late 80s due to lack of pit garages.

2006 - Present: The Knock out Session we currently have now. 1989-1993: Two 60 minute Sessions, Unlimited Laps. Best time over the two sessions determined the Grid for the Race. Included a Pre-qualifying session due to the amount of entries, to limit the main qualfying session to 30 cars The top 4 from this sesson goes through to the Main Quali.

Before 1988 is uknown to me excatly but would of consisted of a timed session similar to practice now. With the Best times forming the grid.
Before 1988 it was similar as 1989-1993, but there was no limit of 12 laps. So 2 sessions of 1 hour (one on friday and one on saturday). And before that the practice sessions also counted as timed sessions. In 1978 they had 3 timed sessions, in 1979 2 (according to Heiz Prullers' Grand Prix Story).
Judging the time sheets in Ulrich Schwabs' Grand Prix 1973 in that year the amount of training sessions varied from 2 to 4.

In What Year was the HANS device first used in Formula 1?
It became mandatory for all drivers in 2003, but was used in pre-season testing in 2001 and debuted on track at the 2002 Italian GP by Sauber though only for the practice session.

massahans1-lg.jpg

I don't know if this can be researched, but has there been a race where both 2 drivers in a team knew they were being replaced at the end of the season?

(e.g. if after Abu Dhabi, Toro Rosso said that Ricciardo and Vergne were driving for 2012)

I'm sure it's happened a lot. I seem to remember Schumacher and Irvine being announced for Ferrari for 1996 with quite a few races remaining for Alesi and Berger to complete in 1995. There are, I'm sure, lots of other examples.

Driver decisions generally are getting later and later, as drivers can't test until February. In the old days, they'd be straight into their new teams' cars after the final race of the season, very often.

Webber and Klein both drove for Jag when in the last race of the season knowing the whole team wasn't going to exist next year.

They also collided with each other in the same race LOL

Back
Top Bottom