Ask The Apex

Has any team gone into the last racing knowing both drivers were going to leave for other teams rather than sacking them or letting their contracts run out? Maybe Williams on a couple of occasions?

He can now drive the 2010 can though as it's 2 years old (I think). The current Renault show car is their 2009 machine.

Why do Marlboro still sponsor Ferrari even though the barcode has been removed from the car, from the drivers helmets and gloves, and also the name getting changed from Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro to Scuderia Ferrari?

I can't see them benifiting at all from this....no exposure at all for the brand.

Just a quick question that's been puzzling me for a while, and was triggered off again by Whitmarsh's comments on Autosport about Pirelli tyres (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96591)
Have Pirelli been changing the compounds of the 4 dry tyres throughout the season? My understanding was that the soft tyre used at the start of the season was the same as at the end. I though their 'conservatism' related more to choice of SS/S/M/H tyres for races.
I do remember them bringing some 'developmental' compounds (?Canada, Abu Dhabi - or was that just the Young Drivers, Brazil) - but were these subsequently raced during the season? I tried Pirelli's website, but keep getting directed to log-in pages

The tyres that Pirelli elected to use in the races were the same throughout the season, that is up until Brazil. In Abu Dhabi they tested a less durable soft compound tyre which was then used in Brazil but other than that the tyres remained the same throughout the season.

I can't see them benifiting at all from this....no exposure at all for the brand.

You're thinking about it backwards. There may not be any overt Marlboro branding on the car (although the new red and white diagonal thingy is presumably also a subliminal tag), but in plenty of markets there is an awful lot of Ferrari branding on Marlboro cigarettes.

I saw this post by mephistopheles:

Has this always been the case? And is there any particular reason or is it just superstition? It seems kind of silly...
AFAIK it has always been the case. The number 14 was reserved for a 1 car team. In the early 80s it was Ensign who had a one car team and run with number 14.

Hmm... I don't believe that. Even Martin Whitmarsh has gone on record as saying "in terms of durability and degradation they got disturbingly better as the year has gone on."

Couldn't that be that as the teams learned more about the tyres and the degredation they learned to manage it better and so it seemed as though they were more durable. All I know is I don't remember Pirelli changing the compounds except for Brazil.

Back
Top Bottom