Ask The Apex

Article 7.2 of the Sporting Regulations states that, if a team or driver pairing are tied on points and placings (including non-points-scoring - same number of 11th, 12th place finishes etc.) then the FIA "will nominate the winner according to such criteria as it thinks fit."

:o

-----------------
EDIT: Should have just posted the link! LOL

EDIT: Should have just posted the link! LOL

Me too. But it just occured to me that it's more fun to read it like this:

FIA How To Do It Series - Part 7: How to decide the winner of a Championship in the case of a Dead Heat

First award prizes and points for all the positions of competitors who tie, add them together and share them out equally. Then, if two or more constructors or drivers finish the season with the same number of points, award the Championship (in either case) to the one with the higher place like this:

a) the holder of the greatest number of 1st places, :1st:
b) if the number of first places is the same, the holder of the greatest number of 2nd places,:2nd:
c) if the number of 2nd places is the same, the holder of the greatest number of 3rd places :3rd: and so on until a winner emerges.

JT Um, what do we do now?:thinking:
BE How about my medals system?:twisted:
Minion: M'lud, methinks thou hast run out of ideas!:whistle:
Minion: M'lud, methinks thou hast run out of ideas!:whistle:

Max (in from the cold): Ahem. If this procedure fails to produce a result, the FIA will nominate the winner according to such criteria as it thinks fit.

All: :thinking::cheer::thumbsup::twisted:

Max: :thankyou:

Me: You couldn't make it up!

What happens if the top 2 in the WDC have the same points same amount of 1st 2nd 3rd and so on places? Will it go to poles, FL and if they're the same what next?
The FIA will nominate the champion "according to such criteria as it thinks fit. Pole postions and fastest laps are not taken into account, as can be read in the sporting regulations:

7) DEAD HEAT
7.1 Prizes and points awarded for all the positions of competitors who tie, will be added together and shared equally.
7.2 If two or more constructors or drivers finish the season with the same number of points, the higher place in the Championship (in either case) shall be awarded to:
a) the holder of the greatest number of first places,
b) if the number of first places is the same, the holder of the greatest number of second places,
c) if the number of second places is the same, the holder of the greatest number of third places and so on until a winner emerges.
d) if this procedure fails to produce a result, the FIA will nominate the winner according to such criteria as it thinks fit.

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8681/fia.html

EDIT: It looks like several people have beaten me to it!!!

This took some research and it was on If F1 was an Olympic Sport (ironically the thread made by me!) and you made the comment!:coffee:
:thinking: found the one you mean. Was a bit of a research job, wasn't it?

Just wondering ... did I kill the thread by asking for an F-Duct? If so, :oops: Sorry! :tumbleweed:

Edit: Thought I'd pop back to say "stuff false modesty" and hit the like button a couple of times!:)

The closest I can recall in late-season was in International F3000 in 2000. With two races to go (eight rounds completed out of ten), Bruno Junqueira and Nicolas Minassian had 38 points.

* Both had won 3 times
* Both had one 2nd place
* Both had one 5th place
* Both had one 7th place
* Both had one DNF
The remaining results were: 11th for Minassian and 13th for Junqueira.

In the end, Junqueira got ten points (one win) in last two races, Minassian seven (one 3rd, one 4th).

Back
Top Bottom