Poll Are the new regulations working?

Are the new regulations working?

• Total voters
The issue would be around the fuel available. How would they allow for the additional laps in the fuel tank?

In theory if we had two safety car sessions that could lead to 6 extra laps. That's a lot of extra fuel.

Can't we have a "sort of" option, it's not to early to say but non of the others match, yes they can follow but DRS is still required with the top teams to overtake, we have arrived at the point where driver skill is almost negated with aero, and driver skill was not one of the requisites for a more competitive race unfortunately.

In Formula E the extra laps are specifically to use the additional energy saved behind the safety car. I'm sure the powers that be can calculate the likely fuel saved and add an appropriate number of laps based on the safety car lap times.

Just think it's an idea which should be explored. But then, of course, it's all about making sure things finish with enough time to get the adverts on isn't it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea. I'm jist not certain that there would be enough fuel saved. If there was enough then it would certainly prevent another Abu Dhabi.

It used to be the case (pre hybrid) that driving behind the safety car used between 1/3 and 1/2 of the fuel they would use at racing speed. Ironically, with the hybrid systems, because the drivers will be reluctant to use the extra power from the battery (as they want the battery fully charged for the restart), they may actually be using more fuel than before.

That being said, it's not difficult for the FIA to work out how much fuel is used during the safety car periods (as they have fuel-flow meters on all the cars), and there could be an adjustment to the race distance according to how much fuel is (normally) saved.

So the FIA are going to do some levelling up. It had been known for many years that if you run the cars scraping the circuit it creates "porpoising". A way round this is to run the car with the floor higher. It is clear from the races so far this it is very painful, and possibly dangerous, for the drivers.

Clearly something has to be done, the sooner the better so the FIA are working on it.

The fact that the worst affected car is Mercedes has nothing to do with what will turn up out to be a levelling down process.
;)

that last 15 laps were fantastic & mostly what I thought was the rules have worked, 15 laps & sainz could stay in touch with 7 tenths - 1 second which i dont think ive seen at that length since imola 2005

that last 15 laps were fantastic & mostly what I thought was the rules have worked, 15 laps & sainz could stay in touch with 7 tenths - 1 second which i dont think ive seen at that length since imola 2005

To me its still not working because whilst he can stay within that gap he could not get any closer even with the DRS which is still frustrating given it has a long straight

To me its still not working because whilst he can stay within that gap he could not get any closer even with the DRS which is still frustrating given it has a long straight
but DRS isnt supposed to be an easy pass & new rules were to make sure people could follow for long periods of time. which is happening now as you wouldve been lucky for 3 laps in 2021

One thing I'm certain about, Grid penalties are now totally pointless. Teams are now factoring them in to their strategy regarding the over use of engine parts. 9 drivers have penalities in Monza because teams thought we may as well take a penalty here as it's less damage.

Drop the grid penalty system and make it a points drop and then see how keen teams will be to take a penalty?

One thing I'm certain about, Grid penalties are now totally pointless. Teams are now factoring them in to their strategy regarding the over use of engine parts. 9 drivers have penalities in Monza because teams thought we may as well take a penalty here as it's less damage.

Drop the grid penalty system and make it a points drop and then see how keen teams will be to take a penalty?
I have one suggestion start from the pitlane as a the penalty because then anyone else would have to queue behind if they dare to do it as well

With the grid penalty teams do work out eventually how to minimse damage with improved reliability and after analysing the least loss

The regulations might have worked if Karen had not stopped bitching about overspending and missing races. Funny how Red Bull seem to be further ahead

Couldn’t agree more about the regs. Tsunoda, for instance was given a 10 place grid drop for 5 reprimands, but then took advantage of that to gain a new engine system, effectively without penalty. Had he taken the new engine system, he would have started from the same position.

Effectively, Tsunoda hasn’t served his penalty.

Back
Top Bottom