Poll Are the new regulations working?

Are the new regulations working?

• Total voters

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Valued Member
The opening double header is now over and it's definitely the right time to pose the question, are the new regulations working?

It seems as though the cars can run much closer together but is this a false dawn?

Are the tyres still playing too much of a role? Due to the budget cap will teams be able to catch up?

What are your thoughts?

They’re working. Remains to be seen by how much exactly, but it’s clear that following the car in front is easier than before. This was Ross Brawn’s key aim when he took his place with Liberty - he said something to the effect of ‘We’ll keep tweaking the regs until the racing is better’. I’m very happy with how things are progressing.

at the moment yes, these rules that couldnt fail, after a huge sigh of relief from ross brawn at the moment havent failed & thankfully have delivered fantastic racing, these cars are probably 15-20 yrs overdue. i would also say that there is better overtaking as well because of by product of no desperation. because these driver know that if it doesnt work now they will get a 2nd/3rd/4th etc chance. whereas in 2021 & the words of enimem they had 1 shot & had to make it count. i dont think in these cars that british GP incident happens because Hamilton wouldve been able to play the long game

Does anyone else think Latifi is part of the regulation changes and there's a secret clause which allows the race director to press a button causing him to crash and **** everything up, usually in Verstappen's favour?

They trialled it at the last race in 2021 and it worked so well they've continued it for 2022.

DRS was too powerful at this race (Jeddah). The speed differential is huge. I may be wrong but there don't seem to be more non-DRS overtakes than last year.

I’d rather see fewer overtakes of higher quality than the ‘your go, my go’ stuff we’ve seen the last two races. The job appears to be done before rather than through the corner. Given the driving styles of Max and Charles, the fact they didn’t even bump wheels suggests it wasn’t respect, it was lack of opportunity.

Also one of the the most aggressive battle seemed to be between Alonso and Ocon! Elsewhere cars just seemed to be letting the one behind overtake with no resistance.

Let's be honest, at least there was some actual racing instead of a one car parade of high speed millionaires.
Did you guys notice the pack of 10 cars all squirreling around for position after the start in the first race?
That was exciting because the camera stayed on a wide shot instead of zooming in and panning like they normally do.
So yes the new regulations are working and definitely made the race more interesting, especially since MB haven't figured it out yet.

Further to my comment earlier, this was Brawn’s quote from December 2018:

"If we don't achieve everything we want to achieve with these changes, we'll learn from it, press on and carry on with the next phase of changes - and we'll keep doing that until we get the cars in a form when they can race each other much more effectively."

With the right people at the helm, for as long as they’re useful, the right changes will happen. It’s a slow process because changes in F1 take considerable time to be signed off, bed in and be refined before they’re deemed acceptable. Hence you have to take the long view. F1 is on a good trajectory.

Apparently not according to the BBC

If anything the gap has gotten wider

Also the plan for more sprint races is being held up because the FIA want more money amongst other things to tick off for 2023 :whistle:

the racing is better than more is undoubted, because the cars can follow so much easier now, yes it not incredible like a silver bullet but compared to 2021 & before. its night & day

I think better racing is not necessarily related to a high number of overtakes. I mean, these new regulations were meant to improve racing, which is highly subjective. Can these new cars follow each other more closely? Maybe. Has that improved racing? I'm not quite sure.

IMO, we don't have an overtaking issue, but we do have an issue with the quality of those overtakes. The closer the gap is between the leader and those who run behind him, the better the race will be. They should focus on closing the performance gap rather than changing the cars to run closer while the leader is 1 second faster than 90% of the field.

A valid point when are we going to see another ballsy move like Mansell use to do - they are the overtakes that people remember

I think its too easy to expect get to the DRS zone and then pull it off

I think better racing is not necessarily related to a high number of overtakes. I mean, these new regulations were meant to improve racing, which is highly subjective. Can these new cars follow each other more closely? Maybe. Has that improved racing? I'm not quite sure.

IMO, we don't have an overtaking issue, but we do have an issue with the quality of those overtakes. The closer the gap is between the leader and those who run behind him, the better the race will be. They should focus on closing the performance gap rather than changing the cars to run closer while the leader is 1 second faster than 90% of the field.
but we always have bigger gaps at the start of a regulation & within 2-3 years everyone closes up. i think the racing better, because people can follow now. look at Saudi Arabia we had passes & re passes yes it went wrong with the DRS detection point. but when you compare it to 2021 which was a factor in multiple crashes that were borned out of frustration because it was so hard to get close never mind overtake

we are only 2 months into the biggest rule change in F1 history. we already discussing radical 2026 rules to replace the radical 2021 rules

but i think its a good thing from liberty media. never settling & the weight change was needed as FB photo through the age showed

we are only 2 months into the biggest rule change in F1 history. we already discussing radical 2026 rules to replace the radical 2021 rules

but i think its a good thing from liberty media. never settling & the weight change was needed as FB photo through the age showed

The main thing is what happens if wind tunnel data is shared

Wasn't sure where to put this, so this thread is as good as any. Should F1 look to "recover" lost laps behind the safety car, as they are now doing in Formula E?

The calculation would be, for example, if the delta set by the safety car is 40% of a typical lap time and they spend 5 laps behind the safety car 3 laps are added to the end of the race.

Any takers? It would mean no chance of a safety car finish ever again.

Back
Top Bottom