Alonso's next team mate SPECULATIONOMETER

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I'm trying to say is that both have been around the block a bit, being a couple of the older chaps on the grid. I'm not saying they won't be competitive but may have the maturity to see that if one is significantly in front of the other at half way through the season the other will do his best to help the him win the WDC. Should that optimistic scenario happen then Ferarri might win the WCC.

There may well be 'swipes' but it doesn't necessarily negate team effort. They are chalk and cheese. sometimes that works really well - I predict mighty battles at the start of the season and begrudging collaboration after one bests the other.

Last edited:
I don't think racing drivers are wired that way.

Some of them are Rubens Barrichello, Felipe Massa, Heiki Kovalanein..........I think you get my point.

It will depend on the car. If it isn't the finest, I suspect Nando would come out on top quite early. All the guys you cite became number 2s quite early on in their career, so have accepted that position - I'm not sure that Nando and Kimi are in that lacklustre position.

teabagyokel may have it right. But I think they are both racers and winners, so could end up as a hard call for team orders later in the season.

Jen - They are both racers and winners, I agree. It's minute differences, though.

I just don't think losing enters Alonso's thought process. Ever.

It could be a brilliant strategic match or an absolute mare. But I would love to see these two racing in the same equipment. And I think they would do it fairly, albeit with an edge.

He didn't drive to anything like the speed we know he had and got in to his whole "disillusioned with F1" funk. Seemed a bit of a sulk to me.

Wasn't the problem back than that Kimi didn't talked enough en showed emotion to the team, hence they backed Massa more.

siffert_fan

No it does not because the special relationship was established through Max Mosley and Jean Todt and the $50m royalty payment ends this year

Despite all the success Ferrari had Luca fell out with Todt despite hiring him because Todt did not really listen to Luca and gained more credibility as the team got successful in the political battles

Luca's issues are with Bernie and Todt is just sitting on the fence and not getting in between the two of them ... if anything he would sway to Bernie's side seeing that giving power to one team would be a sign as weak leadership

If you want to compare against Max- he decided to take anyone head on with an iron fist if they dared.

Red Bull spend in excess of $330m and they still claim that is within resource restriction agreement despite some vocal protests that it is not from other teams. That is the biggest budget in F1 certainly more than Ferrari who are experiencing financial constraints because of the economic situations in Italy and Spain

Ferrari or I should say Luca wants a 3rd car to be allowed in races reason being more testing miles and able to use more resources and develop parts without having to rely on a duffed windtunnel. They bought Toyota's old wind tunnel to get a more updated wind tunnel

Bushi

It was because he did not work hard enough like Schumacher did when the car was crap in Luca's eyes

In fact Massa appeared to be the harder worker at the time some saw his carefree attitude as being lazy. Kimi in his own mind thought he was driving as well as he could given the car

IF... it's fact. I think (hope) it will make for a really entertaining 2014. They are both brilliant drivers, I can only see both upping their game.

Reactions: Jen
BBC breakfast this morning reporting the Kimi move as a done deal to be confirmed today. You have to say Ferrari will now have one of the best driver line ups 'of all time'

Many people focusing on how well the drivers will get on. Ferrari you must remember care about the constructors championship first, drivers championship second. IMO with such a strong driving line up they are going after Redbull not Win Finger. Fact is FA and KR will take wins off each other, great for the constructors but not the driver championship.

Got to say I think this is one of the most exciting pairings F1 has ever seen. I think we are in Prost Senna, Mansell Piquet territory here.

I'm very hopeful for the Kimi Fernando combination.
Can't see Kimi playing second fiddle to anyone but he's sensible enough to work for the team when he's no longer 'in the fight' (China 2008).
I'm not sure how Nando will be though if Kimi come out on top, he's never been tested as a supporting driver as he's always been defined number 1 or still in with a shot. It could show strength of character...or not.
Greenlantern101 is right, Ferrari are interested int he contructor's trophy first.
I'm really looking forward to next year :)

Ferrari you must remember care about the constructors championship first, drivers championship second.

I was under the impression that Ferrari are seen as one of the teams that concentrate more on the WDC than the WCC. Their second driver line up of Irvine, Barrichello and Massa would atest to that. Of course in the Schumacher era they could put almost anyone in the second seat and win both the WDC and WCC, but Massa's position in the team for the last eight years? Like I say, I've always believed and heard that Ferrari are more inclined towards the WDC.

Irrespective, I'm looking forward to the pairing, and good on Ferrari for going with it, much more exciting than red bulls 2nd driver decision.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom