Grand Prix 2024 Italian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Like buses before privatisation, we have no Grands Prix for a month and then two come along almost immediately. This time we are off to the "Temple of Speed", or the Autodromo Nazionale Monza, as it is officially called. If you only ever visit one live motor race in your life, go to Monza. The organisation, as you would expect from Italy, is an utter shambles. There are not enough toilets, buying food requires a PhD in finance, getting in to and out of the circuit takes literally hours (unless you do what I did and walk down the side of the queue to the front and go straight in), and an espresso will cost you €5. Please don't try and take in any of your own food, drink, or a power cell to recharge your phone, as these will be confiscated at the gate.

But the food, when eventually you get it after going through three different queues, is fabulous. The €5 espresso is delicious. And you will sit in the most passionate motor racing environment in the world, where every time a Ferrari goes past, everyone, apart from the drunk Dutch fans, gets up and cheers. If a Ferrari is leading, or makes an overtake, the place erupts with a noise it is impossible to describe, and they boo their pantomime villains until they win, and then they cheer them even if they weren't in a Ferrari.

This year, the early races descended in to the widely predicted Max Verstappen show, but as the season has progressed other teams, particularly McLaren, have caught up and passed the Bulls. After the twists and turns of Zandvoort it will be interesting to see who is fastest at the ultra high speed Monza track. Expect Ferrari to put on a show, in qualifying at least. I should say, for those of you hoping for some sort of run at the title from Lando Norris, unless McLaren get Mr Pastry to run Max off the track at two or three races the title is a done deal. The Red Bull might not be the best car on the grid, but what Max is able to extract from it is quite astonishing, particularly given the dismal performance of his team mate.

We have a new driver this weekend, with Williams dropping Logan Sargeant in favour of Franco Colapinto. Presumably last weekend's excursion in to the barriers at Zandvoort was one crash too many. Colapinto is a Williams academy driver from Argentina who's record in junior series is good, but not stellar. One assumes his brief is simply not to crash.

F2 and F3 are back this weekend, with the ladies from the F1 academy being popped back in the motor homes where they belong, returning to decorative and PR duties. Expect more sexist pictures from Aston Martin of the 43 year old Fernando Alonso with a couple of twenty something women draped over him.

Here's the schedule of the F1 race. To see when everything else takes place click here - FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO D’ITALIA 2024 - full timetable | Formula 1®

1724920545347.webp

I love Monza, there is rarely a better sight in sport when a ferrari driver wins at monza.

i didnt realise as well that logan Sargeant never took the chequered flag in point scoring position (as his only point was because he finished 12th & Hamilton/ Leclerc were disqualified) so joins drivers since points went to 8th, who have a full season or 20 races that never scored a point Luca Badoer, Charles Pic, Max Chilton, Scott Speed, Antony Davidson, Sakon Yamamoto, Jerome D'ambrosio, Will Stevens, Lucas Di Grassi, Giedo Van Der Garde & Gianmaria Bruni

ive been wrong before i said in 2015 verstappen should have a yr in F2 & that aged badly but i think its over ambitious to throw him straight in a front running car. Verstappen had a yr, Vettel 2, sainz 4 at toro rosso, Alonso a year at minardi & year testing at renault, russell 3 years at williams, Leclerc a yr at sauber. & they had far more experience

hamilton did go straight in but he had done the british forumla renault, then what would be now F4 F3 & F2. was 22. Antotelli would be the 3rd youngest driver in F1 history

7th & 8th :o. red bulls decline is getting worse. if i was red bull i would be going to adrian newey whatever it is you want, you can have. just please stay & fix this car.

as i can see Verstappen losing the championship & red bull finishing 3rd in constructors. which wouldve sounded completely ridiculous in april

7th & 8th :o. red bulls decline is getting worse. if i was red bull i would be going to adrian newey whatever it is you want, you can have. just please stay & fix this car.

as i can see Verstappen losing the championship & red bull finishing 3rd in constructors. which wouldve sounded completely ridiculous in april

I think Newey does not want to be involved in the car anymore because its clear Pierre Wache is in charge of the team so you put Newey back in you will undermine Wache

Those free sandwiches certainly came in handy back in 2021.

Horner and various people within Red Bull says Verstappen is the difference and not Newey must be biting their nails ..he nearly got outqualified by the utterly useless Perez unless Horner was going to say Checo did a better job

This is Verstappen's worst nightmare 6 seriously fast drivers in front of him. If Mclaren can get the starts sorted Piastri can pretty much hold everyone up

If Mclaren can get the starts sorted Piastri can pretty much hold everyone up
firstly that was norris had to give the win back. for this today, there relationship had gone full prost / senna the last thing norris needed was piastri barreling down the inside of him Tomorrow

I think Newey does not want to be involved in the car anymore because its clear Pierre Wache is in charge of the team so you put Newey back in you will undermine Wache
you undermine wache, yes. but you also lose Verstappen as i can imagine he's furious now. imagine how angry he would be if he loses his world title & red bull come 3rd in constructors. as they could lose 17pts tomorrow & its singapore next. so could conceivably be 30/35pts in 2 weeks

Last edited:
firstly that was norris had to give the win back. for this today, there relationship had gone full prost / senna the last thing norris needed was piastri barreling down the inside of him Tomorrow

I think Stella will make it clear that first corner they don't take each other out after looking at the F2 sprint

For everyone at Mclaren the two racing each other to turn 1 is the worst thing to happen and ignoring what is behind them

you undermine wache, yes. but you also lose Verstappen as i can imagine he's furious now. imagine how angry he would be if he loses his world title & red bull come 3rd in constructors. as they could lose 17pts tomorrow & its singapore next. so could conceivably be 30/35pts in 2 weeks

tough 💩 as Verstappen says " Life is unfair" and he has been dismissing Newey's missing influence as a factor. Red Bull are the architect of their own downfall if they do implode

In the same car Hamilton loses to Russell more often than not in both the race and qualifying, so what you are really saying F1Brits_90 is that Verstappen and Russel are the two quickest, at the moment we'll ignore Norris

Back
Top Bottom