Grand Prix 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Following a week's break after the thrilling British GP, we're off to Hungary, which traditionally marked the final race before the summer holidays. However, with a reshuffle of the calendar, it's now the penultimate race of the first half, as Spa has been shifted from the first race of the second half to the last race of the first half, the Hungarian Grand Prix is often a captivating statistical event.
  • Hungary hosted a Grand Prix within 12 months of receiving the green light after securing the rights from Bernie. They selected Mogyoród for its natural bowl shape, which offers spectacular views. Construction began in October 1985, was completed by July 1986, & the race took place on the 10th of August, 1986.
  • The 1986, 1987, and 1988 races were the only F1 races to be held behind the Iron Curtain, a region Bernie Ecclestone was eager to include. & i believe only 1 of 4 major sporting events that took place behind the Iron Curtain. 1973 European Cup Final, 1980 Summer olympics & 1984 Winter Olympics
  • The inaugural event attracted 200,000 fans, setting the highest attendance record for nearly a decade. It wasn't until 2014 that another race took place in the former Eastern Bloc, with the event in Sochi.
  • The Hungaroring boasts the second-longest continuous streak of hosting F1, having been on the calendar since its inaugural race in 1986 & will continue to until 2032. The only circuit with a longer history is Monza.
  • The Hungaroring also has a weird Knack of bringing maiden Achievements for drivers more than anywhere on the calendar. 8 drivers have taken either their Maiden win or Maiden Pole Position at this track Damon Hill, Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button, Heikki Kovalainen, Esteban Ocon took their Maiden Victory & Thierry Boutsen, Max Verstappen, George Russell collected their 1st pole positions
  • Interestingly if You win in Hungary you don't win the title only 3 drivers since the turn of the millennium have won at the Hungarian & the F1 title in the same season. M Schumacher, Hamilton & Verstappen
On this weekend another race where we go in where 7 drivers & 4 teams all arrive thinking they have a great chance of a victory. after 5 different winners in last 7 races & 4 different polesitters in the last 5 races, who saw this coming even in shanghai. The forecast predicts quite a hot weekend, with temperatures in the 30s and no chance of rain. However, social media videos suggest that there was an almighty storm yesterday that caused disruptions during setup.

Last edited:
a picture i found of newly built circuit in 1986
20240718_175809.webp

Rarely in Hungary do we get an average race. We either get an absolute corker or we get something that could be used during the Cold war to torture a spy into a confession.

Given the way this season is panning out I'm hoping it's the former.

that true 2021 & 2022 arguably up there in the race of the year standing. but 2023 was 1 of the worst i can remember, like id been watching for ages & it was barely halfway

Rarely in Hungary do we get an average race. We either get an absolute corker or we get something that could be used during the Cold war to torture a spy into a confession.

Given the way this season is panning out I'm hoping it's the former.
Although Red Bull seems to be the only team with major upgrades here.

very clever from mclaren to realise that you dont have to set a lap time in this final 2 mins. they just had to get to the front of the queue to reduce Verstappens chance of getting a lap time in

very clever from mclaren to realise that you dont have to set a lap time in this final 2 mins. they just had to get to the front of the queue to reduce Verstappens chance of getting a lap time in
brilliant to spoil Verstappen because it is something he would do as well

I think the Red Bull / RB discussions tonight could get a bit tetchy with Perez crashing his car and then Tsunoda his therefore denying Verstappen another clean lap apparently

i was surprised they didnt cotton on to it & was too late by then. so said old tyres was why they didnt
apparently was not worth the effort but again its 2 Mclarens vs Verstappen

That was a scorching lap from Norris plus Verstappen is on the dirty side of the track. A repeat of last year shoving Norris wide will be his tactic

So far this season Norris has started slower than a 1978 Austin Allegro in mid winter.

Let's hope tomorrow is different.

I wonder if RedBull are regretting resigning Sergio Perez.
it will be interesting because if Piastri wins & Perez finishes 8th or lower. or Piastri 2nd & Perez out of the points. as latter he cant fulfill his rumoured contractual requirements with a race to spare as he would a race win behind being in the top 5

being 149 - 122/120/119/118 or 142 - 118

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom