Grand Prix 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Following a week's break after the thrilling British GP, we're off to Hungary, which traditionally marked the final race before the summer holidays. However, with a reshuffle of the calendar, it's now the penultimate race of the first half, as Spa has been shifted from the first race of the second half to the last race of the first half, the Hungarian Grand Prix is often a captivating statistical event.
  • Hungary hosted a Grand Prix within 12 months of receiving the green light after securing the rights from Bernie. They selected Mogyoród for its natural bowl shape, which offers spectacular views. Construction began in October 1985, was completed by July 1986, & the race took place on the 10th of August, 1986.
  • The 1986, 1987, and 1988 races were the only F1 races to be held behind the Iron Curtain, a region Bernie Ecclestone was eager to include. & i believe only 1 of 4 major sporting events that took place behind the Iron Curtain. 1973 European Cup Final, 1980 Summer olympics & 1984 Winter Olympics
  • The inaugural event attracted 200,000 fans, setting the highest attendance record for nearly a decade. It wasn't until 2014 that another race took place in the former Eastern Bloc, with the event in Sochi.
  • The Hungaroring boasts the second-longest continuous streak of hosting F1, having been on the calendar since its inaugural race in 1986 & will continue to until 2032. The only circuit with a longer history is Monza.
  • The Hungaroring also has a weird Knack of bringing maiden Achievements for drivers more than anywhere on the calendar. 8 drivers have taken either their Maiden win or Maiden Pole Position at this track Damon Hill, Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button, Heikki Kovalainen, Esteban Ocon took their Maiden Victory & Thierry Boutsen, Max Verstappen, George Russell collected their 1st pole positions
  • Interestingly if You win in Hungary you don't win the title only 3 drivers since the turn of the millennium have won at the Hungarian & the F1 title in the same season. M Schumacher, Hamilton & Verstappen
On this weekend another race where we go in where 7 drivers & 4 teams all arrive thinking they have a great chance of a victory. after 5 different winners in last 7 races & 4 different polesitters in the last 5 races, who saw this coming even in shanghai. The forecast predicts quite a hot weekend, with temperatures in the 30s and no chance of rain. However, social media videos suggest that there was an almighty storm yesterday that caused disruptions during setup.

Last edited:
I wonder if RedBull are Horner is regretting resigning Sergio Perez.
Corrected for you

The answer is he should be because Helmut and Mintzlaff camp can argue he is costing us constructors championship probably

Horner's response 'I ll have to consider much more competitive drivers like Sainz then'

it will be interesting because if Piastri wins & Perez finishes 8th or lower. or Piastri 2nd & Perez out of the points. as latter he cant fulfill his rumoured contractual requirements with a race to spare as he would a race win behind being in the top 5

being 149 - 122/120/119/118 or 142 - 118
I am sure they are looking at he must be within 100pts of Verstappen so yeah good in asking Max to slow down and offer points

I was a bit disappointed in Lando. I ask myself whether Hamilton, Schumacher, Vettel, Verstappen, Senna or Prost would have given up the spot in that situation and the answer is absolutely not.

Given the way Red Bull is imploding, this could be the moment McLaren lost the driver's championship. Just like their failure to make the right calls cost Hamilton in 2007.

I was a bit disappointed in Lando. I ask myself whether Hamilton, Schumacher, Vettel, Verstappen, Senna or Prost would have given up the spot in that situation and the answer is absolutely not.

Given the way Red Bull is imploding, this could be the moment McLaren lost the driver's championship. Just like their failure to make the right calls cost Hamilton in 2007.
I agree that that was embarassing but Mclaren put themselves in that situation by allowing the under cut in tge first place

presume you mean obeying team orders?

Verstappen might crack next week depending how Mclaren handle things
Btw when was the last time Verstapoen has not won for more than 3 races

Verstappen really threw his toys out the pram today, that was a typical old Max lunge down the inside with no hope of getting past without a collision, even Horner told him shut up. Has he lost the team's support now the Red Bull isn't the all powerful car it was and he's resorted to the old childish Max ?
His post race interview on Sky with Naomi, he still believes he was right and Lewis crowded him out, Lewis even steered away from him, or at least straightened up, but again one of Lewis's front to rear collisions where Lewis wins.

Last edited:
Can we say Newey impact is evident?

Apparently Verstappen did late night sim racing and dud not get enough sleep

I tell you what Toto bettee get your phone ready because Ive never heard Verstappen blame his team for everything. His race engineer was very dilpomatic.

This behaviour could really derail Red Bull . Totally lacking any respect

Still no punishment BTW for Verstapoen

Last edited:
Fuck. Off. We all know Red Bull have some ‘special relationship’ with the FIA but do they think we don’t have eyes???
IMG_6527.webp

Last edited:
I haven't watched a race or highlights until today, I read all your race posts to keep up to date, but that was utter bullshit by McLaren, Piastri sounded ashamed on the cool down lap and if I were Lando I'd be smashing my helmet on the CEO's desk.

However, I get massive schadenfreude from Max whining like a spoilt child.

Verstappen's behaviour today just confirms what I have always maintained.

A good but not top tier driver in the best car who can't overtake and is unable to accept he is ever at fault.

TLDR; a ****
it is Newey who makes a difference

****. Off. We all know Red Bull have some ‘special relationship’ with the FIA but do they think we don’t have eyes???View attachment 17354
Given Hamilton was given a penalty in 2015 for hitting Ricciardo for failing to turn in the same corner at a slower speed this is a joke given Verstappen had enough room to brake and turn but was out of control

I haven't watched a race or highlights until today, I read all your race posts to keep up to date, but that was utter bullshit by McLaren, Piastri sounded ashamed on the cool down lap and if I were Lando I'd be smashing my helmet on the CEO's desk.

However, I get massive schadenfreude from Max whining like a spoilt child.
I hope GP has got his gloves ready if Jos starts coming for him

Hamilton i would say has given back a podium to bottas.

but i am disappointed in lando like multi 21, i feel like there are ways to win & i might have been useless as an F1 driver as i wouldve been to nice for my good. but F1 fans dont forget we all still joke about Multi 21 or austria 2002. weve seen what defying team orders does gilles/ Pironi. Vettel/Webber Alonso/Hamilton. Vettel/Leclerc then theres Prost/Senna Hamilton/Rosberg & Verstappen/Riccardio for other reasons

i know its likely inevitable because close teammates in winning cars always end up hating each other. (is there a set that have remained friends) do you really want to ruin your friendship & have an enemy across other side of the garage for 7 pts.

But Lando should given it back alot earlier lap 55 or earlier then asked the team am i free to race then he couldve won it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom