Grand Prix 2023 Singapore Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

realise the weekend starts tomorrow & this isnt up so here we go.

incredibly this is our 15th year at singapore, & 15 years of racing at night, which i still think of as a new thing. even though we've race in singapore more than we did at adelaide. i think its a great experiment thats went quite well, this going to sound weird but when GP2 used to go as support race singapore in the day looked pretty crap, whereas at night it looks brilliant, id like to talk you through the inaugural year but as massa proved, 2008 was very uneventful nothing happened & i fell asleep by lap 20
Singapore is the toughest race, its as close to a endurance race as we get, 2 hours between the walls, in 33c heat & near 80% humidity. the driver say its like putting on winter clothes & going to run on a treadmill in the sauna. every driver say if they are fit for singapore they are fit for anything. also in the 1st few years Tv crews, teams & drivers encounters other challenges due to staying on european time because the schedule was designed to be normal european weekend, so trying to find breakfast at 3pm & evening meal at 2am was a challenge. but now there are places that stay open especially for F1

but in F1 terms, dont worry Verstappen & Red Bull clinching both drivers & constructors championships, wont happen this week. thats next week in japan & will equal schumacher record as the earliest the championship has ever been won. & because of the renovation on the float. we have a revised circuit this week & until 2026. which they think could make laptimes 10 seconds a lap quicker. it will make what is now T16 chicane. a fascinating corner, reminiscent of wall of champions, if you take too much speed & the wall will be there. because last year it was a 2nd gear at 70mph after a 130m run. but now they are coming to the same corner coming off what is now the 2nd biggest straight on the circuit

1694707261577.png
1694707359530.png

if your interested in what the Singaporeans are renovating & what F1 will be going through in either 2026 or 2027.

pre 2022
temp 4.png

from 2026 onwards
temp 5.jpg

Last edited:
I think its plain obvious - no long straights with the DRS to kick in coupled with fast corners where Verstappen can throw the car into it ..you can't do that on a street circuit

I think its plain obvious - no long straights with the DRS to kick in coupled with fast corners where Verstappen can throw the car into it ..you can't do that on a street circuit
i dont know what wrong with the car until we get to suzuka. but it cant be technical directive you don't go from unbeatable to 11th in 2 weeks

You say that but Monaco has none of the above and yet Verstappen qualified on pole and won the race.

i dont know what wrong with the car until we get to suzuka. but it cant be technical directive you don't go from unbeatable to 11th in 2 weeks

You probably could if you had to suddenly redesign a part to meat a new test to prove legality.

We know all too well that the shape of the underside of the car and the way the air flow is controlled in relation to ground effect and one tiny change can have a huge effect on the amount of downforce thst can be generated.

You probably could if you had to suddenly redesign a part to meat a new test to prove legality.

We know all too well that the shape of the underside of the car and the way the air flow is controlled in relation to ground effect and one tiny change can have a huge effect on the amount of downforce thst can be generated.
we know why Adrian Newey is good, is because he pushes the limits on everything. most of the time it works, few times it doesn't. the back end seems all over the place, so have they taken something off that reduced rear downforce. i know the suspension mounting is a such a way to stop diving into corners & almost recreates active suspension of keeping it level

but there is still for me singapore 2015 hanging over me. mercedes won or took pole at every race bar singapore when they were 1 second off. if red bull struggle next week. well we will be asking questions. although verstappen will be turning into schumacher as this was supposed to be his 1st uncontroversial championship after masi gate & budget cap gate

Last edited:
well as much as he is panto villain & i love to see them fail. but there isnt anything at the time of writing. that verstappen or red bull are guilty of in 2023. unlike 2021 that was tainted with everything that happened in abu dhabi but everything that could be said about that has been said & 2022 it was tainted because they broke the budget cap

at the timing of writing red bull are innocent. but now if they are as bad at suzuka as they were in Singapore. well then people will start talking about if this 1 is tainted as well. bit like in 1994 schumacher didn't have an illegal car but it was in grey area & was punished

Nobody cares.

F1 is dead.

F1 isnt in desperate scenario its in a very healthy position when red bull finally stop dominating hopefully in 2024. weve got 5 drivers from 3 teams that could all win tomorrow. i think in a no red bull world we wouldve had 6 different winners of the last 8 races

Last edited:
At least this was a race. I know there was no change in the lead but the leader had to really think about what he was doing. The teams behind tried different things. There were different plans and different results. The last 10 laps were absorbing to watch which makes a change.

I can't think what it was that was different about this weekend but I hope it stays the same until the end of the season as the races may be worth watching then.

Back
Top Bottom