Grand Prix 2022 Miami (USA SouthEast?) Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Back in the day we used to have two races in the US, the USA Grand Prix West, at Long Beach, and the US Grand Prix East, at Watkins Glen. Now we have a second GP in America, and with the Austin race being South, I have christened this the USA South East Grand Prix. You may choose to follow suit, or just call it the Miami Grand Prix.

This is the first race held in Miami, but just three hours away (still in Florida) is the location of the first American Grand Prix, Sebring. There was a race held there in 1959, which was won by Bruce McLaren in a Cooper-Climax. The track is still in operation, but presumably the location is not as attractive as Miami.

The circuit is 3.363 miles long and the race will last for 57 laps, so a little short of 200 mile "standard". Here's the layout, courtesy of the lovely people at SKY.

1651610465439.png

Here's an animated lap of the circuit.

And for those in the UK here are the race times.

1651610835251.png

My apologies if this is all a bit "factual", I'm struggling to build a great deal of enthusiasm. Let's hope the race proves me wrong and it's an absolute stonker.

Last edited:
Saw a video on twitter (via the front page of here) of the safety car doing a lap, looks like another generic flat street circuit around a port.

Not sure I can be bothered to tune in.

It just makes him look like a stupid **** though.

He can't wear them in the car so it's a pointless gesture.

While it's mildly amusing I'd be more worried about the less than impressive performance of his car than staging a one man jewelry protest.

It would suggest he's worrying about the wrong issues.

I'm really confused... Why the **** does the Miami Grand Prix need an "opening ceremony"?
I saw it too, I didn’t want to
I can’t unsee or unhear it

Edit: not all of it I might add, it was at the end of the press conference (I’ve omitted ‘drivers’ as that doesn’t seem to be of relevance this weekend) and I was left in a horror state paralysis watching crofty and Naomi on stage being absolute sellouts. Then I cried and was sick in my mouth, which gave me the strength to switch off.

Last edited:
Looks like the drivers got the memo from Liberty, to say how amazing it is in Miami. If this keeps up all the races will be held in North America.

I'm concerned about the circuit in terms of the mickey-mouse elements of the circuit - the narrow, uphill (as much as you can get uphill here) chicane looks akin to Singapore's sling

From what im hearing it could be 1 of the hottest Races for a long time as the hot countries we go to are night races. its 34c feels like 38 currently. & we could see a modern texas 1984. when mansell collapsed trying to push the car to the finish

Screenshot_20220506-193104_Instagram.jpg

Seems there are two passing pints, the rest of the track can be driven at 30mph in safety. I’m on the edge of my seat, if I fall over please can you prop me up again

Having avoided all of this nonsense I was totally unaware of the hype surrounding this race. I'll just stick to the race (and qually if I'm in).

It sounds like it could set a new "puffing up commentary" record which as we all remember is currently held by the Indian Grand Prix which was fantastically held in India by Indian people who put on a magnificent Indian GP.

Team-declared upgrades for Miami:

Mercedes - front wing endplate, rear wing, and beam wing
Red Bull - Nothing
Ferrari - rear wing
McLaren - front suspension, floor edge
Alpine - rear brake drum flicks
Williams - cooling louvres
Alfa Romeo - calling louvres
Haas - rear wing

by Andrew Benson.

I hate to be a harbinger of doom, but there is going to be a major accident at this circuit and the people responsible are FOM. You cannot simply build a circuit and stick F1 cars on it, there needs to have been races with other car types and formulas to see where the track needed to be changed and improved.

This place is more dangerous the awful track they built in Saudi, and that was a potential killer before they modified it.

looking good for mercedes 1st & 4th. cars looks like its behaving & ironically the think mercedes had too much downforce

Back
Top Bottom