2021 Silly Season

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Wow Ferrari don't usually make a rush statement like this I guess they and Le Clerc's people really want to make it known

So that is pretty much Vettel out / Verstappen a no go then . This is where Mercedes got it wrong with Ocon, they should have announced him into their team.

There is still a chance they want Hamilton in the short term for maybe 1-2 seasons at least

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Well, that is pretty significant. There is no way that Leclerc and his management would agree to a five year contract without some clarity as to fair treatment. I suspect:

1. Vettel has to match or outperform Leclerc the first half of next season, or it is his last season at Ferrari.
2. Hamilton stays at Mercedes with Bottas.
3. Verstappen stays at Red Bull with #2 teammate.
4. If Vettel leaves Ferrari, the new Ferrari teammate will be a clear #2
5. Vettel may not have a major team to go to. Mclaren or retirement may be the only options.

Should we start a 2022 Silly Season thread now?

Vettel is pretty much out of Ferrari - it is only the manner of his exit which will define his legacy post Red Bull

Ruslan

Podium Finisher
Wow Ferrari don't usually make a rush statement like this I guess they and Le Clerc's people really want to make it known
That is pretty unusual. I wonder what drove it. Have they decided that Leclerc is their #1 driver going forward?

So that is pretty much Vettel out / Verstappen a no go then . This is where Mercedes got it wrong with Ocon, they should have announced him into their team.
Yep, yep and yep.

There is still a chance they want Hamilton in the short term for maybe 1-2 seasons at least
Might be. In the end I think he is staying with Mercedes. What top driver is going to want to go to Ferrarai now that they have sprinkled holy water on Leclerc?

Anyhow, Merry Christmas.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Well everything is falling into place as I expected. Suspect Hamilton will stay at Mercedes, making Vettel the only top driver without a secure drive.

We will get to see Verstappen vs LeClerc for years to come then.. its good for F1 that Honda are now fully committed for another 3 years

Hamilton - there is still a chance he wants the Ferrari drive but that depends on how competitive Mercedes and Ferrari are over the season. I think after the summer break look out for Monza if he wants to announce himself as a Ferrari driver

Top Bottom