Grand Prix 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Who will be Champion

• Verstappen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hamilton

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry I totally disagree with this. It needs to go through due process. It makes the fans/petitioners no better than the lobbying teams otherwise.
I imagine the guy is feeling pretty awful right now and is likely to be removed from position anyway.
He should be given instead if either could be described as deserved champion we are still rumbling on how he lost control of the situation.

There is an article in the Independent about his conduct in those final laps

When pressed by Horner he could have held his ground but bottled it and then his response to Toto sounded like a man who knew he could in serious trouble

Really it started from Baku where Red Bull keep pushing the let them race line and he seemed to let them off

I mean today Johnny Herbert was asked if Masi will no longer be race director which he dodged saying his decision making has been baffling

There is a new FIA president to be voted this week so that could be interesting what they say.

Ross Brawn has not come out to defend him he really did let Horner bully him its not just this race

Given us all something to talk about though ain't it?
Could have lived without it to be honest. It depresses me that a sport I've followed for over 35 years can become such a joke.

This wasn't some driver shenanigans that went unpunished such as Senna / Prost or Schumacher / Hill. This was a deliberate decision to invent a rule to create a dramatic finish. It renders the sporting code irrelevant since it only needs to be followed if the race director feels like it and arguably renders the season irrelevant.

I don't think I've ever hated this sport as much and I'm not even a Lewis Hamilton fan.

Could have lived without it to be honest. It depresses me that A sport I've followed for over 35 years can become such a joke.

This wasn't some driver shenanigans that went unpunished such as Senna / Prost or Schumacher / Hill. This was a deliberate decision to invent a rule to create a dramatic finish. It renders the sporting code irrelevant since it only needs to be followed if the race director feels like it and arguably renders the season irrelevant.

I don't think I've ever hated this sport as much and I'm not even a Lewis Hamilton fan.
Don't think I've ever seen such a decision overturned to stage a finish deliberately to favour one outcome

Given us all something to talk about though ain't it?
looking at the forum replies its become the 2nd most discussed race on this forum in the last 5 years.

yep the only more discussed race. was the original race in 2019 that you could argue led us on the long path to this moment
sebastian-vettel-ferrari-2nd-p.jpg

Red Bull and Verstappen were very lucky on Sunday, that is not in doubt. But this one race in itself did not result in the championship going to one driver or another. The whole season has to be looked at, if you are talkimg about stewards' decisions and other times when luck played its part. Like Adrian Newey mentioned in the post-race interview, I still have an issue about Copse. After that I felt that unless Lewis won the WDC by 25 points or more then there would have been a miscarriage of justice. Over the course of the season, when things have arisen between Lewis and Max, where Max came off worse he generally lost a lot (25 points, British GP and elsewhere) and when Lewis came off worse he lost 7 points or thereabouts (Abu Dhabi and elsewhere). Hence as unfair as it seems, Max is the rightful WDC this year. I believe this view is also the view of the (majority of the) paddock, whatever you think about Sunday's race.
I could accept that, except that I believe against any other driver Hamilton running slightly wide at Copse would not have ended in such a crash. Verstappen was partly to blame with his “try to pass me and we’ll crash” mentality.

Still really intrigued what was going on with Perez. Do they publish the starting weight of the cars?

I really wonder if as this was a stop gap season, ( postponed new regs) that it was decided that it would end with the end of Mercedes domination, small rule changes to favour high rake cars, allowing more agressive driving , iffy steward decisions to keep the gap between Mec and RB close.
The new regulations were designed to enable closer racing but due to Covid they weren't implicated, the season really has been a PR exercise to enhance a tighter competion where there was still a dominent team, this really doesn't suit an Ameican company where hype is the object not pure competition, I also suspect that the PTV companies were losing customers, answer lets introduce a close agressive hype with all the agro of WWF and its false showmanship.
So give the FTA companies a freeby to increase viewers so as to hopefully increase viewing next year then contrive the result, sport? who cares, Money, yep that's the god, was it good TV, yes for the uninitiated, was it for the real fans? no, who cares they don't bring in cash.
We used to criticise Bernie, he was an amatuer compared to Liberty Media.

Last edited:
We used to criticise Bernie, he was an amatuer compared to Liberty Media
It was the ultimate journey for F1. The whole pyramid scheme that Bernie set up needed more money pumping in.

It almost all collapsed with CVC because they simply didn't have the reach to increase the revenue.

Liberty have managed to.

after finally being able to bring myself to watch & listen to pundits chatting about this. as its horrible feeling waking up this morning. although i still annoyed that Mercedes were in pit lane with medium tyres & they didnt get them. Hamilton was told to drive past

i still cant have anger towards Michael masi his intentions were good however abstract but he cocked up massively. its clear now he had to chuck out the red flag. you wouldve had equal tyres. im sure given the chance again he would throw the red flag on lap 56. when i said on Thursday ill be interested how pressure affects people makes you do strange things. i meant the drivers not the race director

after finally being able to bring myself to watch & listen to pundits chatting about this. as its horrible feeling waking up this morning. although i still annoyed that Mercedes were in pit lane with medium tyres & they didnt get them. Hamilton was told to drive past

i still cant have anger towards Michael masi his intentions were good however abstract but he cocked up massively. its clear now he had to chuck out the red flag. you wouldve had equal tyres. im sure given the chance again he would throw the red flag on lap 56. when i said on Thursday ill be interested how pressure affects people makes you do strange things. i meant the drivers not the race director
I was thinking where were the Mercedes pit to the Red Bull pit - next to each other right so surely they should be looking at each other trying to see who blinks first. It's just their luck Latifi's accident was when Hamilton was completing a lap and approaching past the pit area

Once Masi made the call the cars could not overtake he should stuck to it. The last minute change really has got him flustered and he could not handle it.

Back
Top Bottom