Grand Prix 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The 2020 double headers continue. At least in Bahrain though they have decided to run the race round a different layout. This will be a line it up and floor it racetrack at its absolute finest.

1606769097445.png

There will be 87 laps of a this 3.5 mile circuit. I suspect it will make Monza of the 60's, or Silverstone of the 80's seem really demanding and a bit "pedestrian". Not sure if Grosjean will be back for this weekend, I suspect not. What money on Nico Hulkenberg turning expecting to have a go in the second Haas? Fingers crossed this will be a little more interesting than last week's effort, although expect a Hamilton pole and win in anyway.

cider_and_toast i think that it is the beginning of the end for Bottas at Mercedes. As I’ve mentioned before he looks a broken man now does the Finn. Being constantly beaten by Hamilton looks like it has taken its toll. Mercedes might start the succession plan with Russell replacing Bottas at the end of 2021. It will also give Russell a couple of years of experience with Lewis Hamilton before he probably retires and George Russell becomes the team leader at Merc.
He was ragged over the weekend and had no answer to Russell who shot off like grey hound at the start. Yes they fluffed his pit stop but he could get past the slower cars in front of him. He knew this weekend was massive I don t think having Hamilton back will help especially if he is soundly defeated again in Abu Dhabi

know Aitken managed to bring out the safety car.
Aitken managed to spin and hit the barrier sideways in such a way that he managed to smash the front wing clean off and not do any other damage to the front of the car.

It was quite impressive to watch.

But other than that, they both paddled around not getting in the way and doing little more.

Did anyone notice whether Fittipaldi and Aitken did anything worthwhile yesterday? I know Aitken managed to bring out the safety car.
Aitken had a better weekend than Fittipaldi as that was disappointing but about what i expected he hadnt raced for year & apparently the most high profile driver he's raced on his way up was Jamie Chadwick & even then she won the championship & he came 5th. 7 tenths off Magnussen is a big gulf & was trundling around at the back basically on his own

Aitken apparently had the pace to latifi in Q1 but made a mistake on his final timed lap. i think in the 1st stint was racing Kimi. Williams team seemed pleased at the short notice. but this was the perfect weekend for George as his reputation has skyrocketed in 2 different teams

cider_and_toast Johnny Carwash

brilliant point you make about 2021. because that is going to be a tough year. as toto cant lie to him. because bottas will knows unless he wins the world championship or mount a very strong challenge like Massa 2008, webber 2010, Alonso 2012 & Rosberg 2014/2016. he will be gone. being a dead man walking will have terrible effect on his morale he's only human. it made me wonder whether it would be best to pay him off now instead of sticking him through another 9 month of torture

for me what bottas needs to do, actually (sorry for tangent) this is the sort of problem i said in Belgium, it shows the depth of the issue. when Martin Brundle is cheering on the British drivers teammate & title rival "to give us a race" could you imagine that in
1986 "come on piquet"
1994 "come on Schumacher"
1996 "come on Villeneuve"
it just wouldn't happen but he far too nice. he's tame, doesnt have a killer instinct & nobody perceives him as a threat. he is the polar opposite of max verstappen.

Bottas needs to go into 2021 which is a :censored: or bust year. he just needs to shake things up because 90% its his final year. so what if he annoys a few people. he needs to start getting his elbows out, he's scared of wheel to wheel combat. Russia 2019?? was laughable. we were proud of him showing that fight only to find out it was completely accidental because a bee flew into his helmet. hes won 10 races in his mercedes career he needs to take another 9-10 next season

I think pay is a non issue. Hamilton's commercial value is so high that he pays for himself and then some.

Russell will drive alongside Hamilton in 2022. I suspect Hamilton will still win that title. Russell is a future world champion for sure, but there is no substitute for experience. I suspect Hamilton would have won on Sunday, because he wouldn't not have come in for that botched pitstop.

P1 - had he not come in for the stop (and Bottas had), he would have been a sitting duck at the restart. There was an easy gap behind the mercs, and there should have been no problem with pitting them both.

I suspect that there wouldn’t have been a problem with Hamilton, but more because the team are more focussed around him - for various reasons. (I.e. they are more focussed when Hamilton is there).

But when did he take it out? And was it ever there in the first place?

I suspect Bottas hasn't changed anything. Hamilton's Insta doesn't even reference being a driver!

Last edited:
Bottas appears to be suffering from second driver syndrome. Nico Rosberg spoke about this during a FP commentary this season but I can't seem to find it.

Bottas apart from race 1 has not looked like he can challenge Hamilton. He has had the worst of the bad luck but also some indifferent races. It is mentally wearing him down especially when Hamilton wins in any condition.

He has a short winter break to come back stronger but he has not got long to find it.

Rosberg to his credit got his elbows out more because he knew his wheel to wheel racing was weak and went back doing karting but also show he was not a pushover

Bottas is suppose to be the iceman but he is beginning to seriously melt.

The trouble he has got now is every race he is under scrutiny that he no longer deserves the seat so his worst races he will be picked apart

Bottas apart from race 1 has not looked like he can challenge Hamilton. He has had the worst of the bad luck but also some indifferent races. It is mentally wearing him down especially when Hamilton wins in any condition.

He has a short winter break to come back stronger but he has not got long to find it.

Rosberg to his credit got his elbows out more because he knew his wheel to wheel racing was weak and went back doing karting but also show he was not a pushover

Bottas is suppose to be the iceman but he is beginning to seriously melt.

The trouble he has got now is every race he is under scrutiny that he no longer deserves the seat so his worst races he will be picked apart

that would be the problem unless he leading the world championship. any repeat of this season & the question will be asked what could russell have done

that would be the problem unless he leading the world championship. any repeat of this season & the question will be asked what could russell have done
His position becomes untenable on a race by race case. If he leads the championship he has got to do it convincingly not just for a few rounds.

He probably needs to see a sports paychologist to help him get over his mental scar

Will Mercedes really want two British drivers in their "German" cars?
A while back it was clear they wanted German drivers to win in their cars only and the next best option is showcasing their young drivers that they invested in who represent the brand in one of the cars.

Currently there are no German drivers with potential on the grid ...someone clearly is desperate for Vettel to win in a Merc to create home interest. Mick Schumacher is not available now but might be in future if he does not burned by Ferrari.

I think you all underestimate the need of a proud German company like Daimler Benz to have a German winning in their machinery. Only one "German" has won the title in a Merc and he was only half German. The money men in Stuttgart will be desperate to have a full German in their car sooner rather than later or they will simply pull the plug.

Edited in case I have caused any offence

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom