Grand Prix 2019 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

*Engage grumpy mode*

With no deal in place for 2020 this could well be the last British Grand Prix to be held at Silverstone for the foreseeable future. News stories out today suggest Liberty is now actively pursuing a London Street race to replace Silverstone for next year. This is just criminal in my opinion, the removal of good race tracks in place of street tracks and all for the purpose of money is just driving F1 into oblivion. Lets see how this one develops. Hopefully it is just a negotiating tactic by Liberty.

Strange one for me this race, I have lots of happy memories of visits and I love watching the coverage of what I truly think is one of the best tracks on the calendar. Yet actually visiting Silverstone is a mixed bag, yes the race is good, great views over a large percentage of the track, but the facilities particuarly for campers have always been under invested and a poor experience. In someways I can see why Liberty want to give them a kick up the ass just as Bernie did several times over the years.

I've been to Silverstone 5 times over the years but after the mud baths in 2011 and 2012 I swore I wasn't going back unless they put proper roads in the camp sites. They still haven't. I guess it's all irrelevant now, if the F1 circus is heading to London in the future it really will be a sport only for the rich as you will not only have the ticket cost but London hotel prices to add in as well. For old time sake I have added a link to my 2012 post below, lots of nice photos and a diary. GL's Silverstone Diary

*grumpy mode cancel*

On a lighter note.

What can we expect from this weekend? Well free live race coverage YAY. It's the only CH4 race to be shown in full and live for every session this year. Also if you love seeing Mercedes win, and who doesn't, I suspect that Mercedes will be back on top as they have always done well here in recent years with the exception of last year as Lewis ended up at the back after a first lap collision. Indeed Mercedes have won 5 out of the last 6 races here and Lewis has won 4 out of the last 5. Ferrari may need a bit of luck as they had last year if they are to win again.

TV times

screenshot.86.jpg

So on with the show.

Last edited:
How did Grosjean manage to crash in the pit lane? Was this his comment on the Rich Energy situation? Or just Grosjean being Grosjean?

He had his foot too far down on the throttle when he took the pit lane cruise control off. Doesn't say much about his capabilities as a driver.

Heavy overnight rain here last night which I assume covered Silverstone too, so to all those camping in the fields around there, good luck. It will also have washed the track quite nicely. It's supposed to be dry from here on out though.

It may be their only real option to be competitive during qualifying, especially with Red Bull now looking more competitive.

I wonder if they trying to get the jump off the grid. or already anticipating the 2 stopper that horner has been talking about all weekend
------------------------------------------
but Vettel what a shocker last In the A qualifying & 6 tenths off his teammate, car really didn't work for him. we are coming now for season without a victory which would only be the 3rd time its happened & could be beaten by a teammate for 2nd time, we all know what happened the 1st time

If its raining then it will be Verstappen and Hamilton that will shine and usually Hulkenberg is very good in these conditions

don't what its like at Silverstone. as im at work & in sheffield. but does look like it could throw it down at any moment where i am. very grey

but should be expected. where that person got the stat its rains once every 3 days wasnt living in england. twice a week seemed very optimistic :D

Last edited:
I wonder if they trying to get the jump off the grid. or already anticipating the 2 stopper that horner has been talking about all weekend

That appears to be what they were trying to do....although it did not work out that way during the race.

Bottas had a marginal lead, was pulled in first put on the same tyres as his original session meaning that he would be on a two stopper. Hamilton did not look as he was going to get the undercut and was put on tyres which could result in a single stopper.

I presume that this was tactical tyre selection by Mercedes to cover Verstappen.:whistle:

Well, it almost looked like Verstappen braked early. Maybe he needed to because of the angle he was approaching the next corner.

I assume with a 10-second penalty that Vettel also got points on his license. How many points does he have now (9?)?

I only watch the first 20 minutes of the race today as I was glued to the Cricket.

Once again, the TV coverage director showed what a cluess spanner he or she is. Bottas and Hamilton have a right go at each other, initially Hamilton getting by. Do we see the whole move? Do we hell. Cut to the crowd for 3 or 4 seconds only to cut back to Hamilton just in time to see Bottas emerge ahead again.

Stop showing the crowd. No one gives a shit what is going on in the stands.

I only watch the first 20 minutes of the race today as I was glued to the Cricket.

Once again, the TV coverage director showed what a cluess spanner he or she is. Bottas and Hamilton have a right go at each other, initially Hamilton getting by. Do we see the whole move? Do we hell. Cut to the crowd for 3 or 4 seconds only to cut back to Hamilton just in time to see Bottas emerge ahead again.

The coverage was hopeless They showed that action again in slow motion replay and still cut away at almost the exact same point. It's a bit like showing a penalty in football but cutting to footage elsewhere just after the ball's been kicked.
Also Coulthard etc. seemed to be gassing on so much that they weren't even watching the action.

what a brilliant race, even if struggling to believe the turnaround from the turgid races at the start of the year climaxing with 1 of worse race in years at the French. to these 2 cracking grand prixs in a row. Bottas can consider himself unlucky as it is a team worst case scenario to a have a safety car in the pit window, hamilton has such luck at his home race. he is like the anti barrichello. because was it 2016? or 2017? when he just happened to be final sector as heavens opened to win the race & then today luckily in right place again as giovinattzi as something on rear snapped to brings out the safety car

what was vettel thinking, again letdown by his red mist never heard phrase "live to fight another day" he wants it straight away has no patience how narrow does he think his car is. max was always going to defend the inside under braking like anyone would. but its nice he apologised I just hope never say never again, although vettel does like giving things to Mercedes 2 world championships & a british 1-2. also give whoever made that suspension on maxs car a Payrise as i was astonished it was still in 1 piece

i know few might disagree, but can i say how delighted i am. that stewards are allowing more aggressive racing. letting drivers go to war toe to toe on track. as Leclerc v Verstappen / Hamilton v Bottas & some same aggressive battles down the grid. was fantastic to watch. even Leclerc was happy saying it was 1 of his most enjoyable races & has liberty media had a word because is coincidental F1 has improved since Canada fallout (bar France) now the gloves are off & we stop sanitizing any try of entertainment. most fans want it & so do drivers

to talk about on general sporting point as today was special its why major sporting events like Wimbledon, world cups cricket football etc, Olympics, F1 race, ashes, final day of ryder cup & open shouldn't be on exclusive pay tv & be protected on extended crown jewel list. as free to air is how you inspire next generation. because almost every sportsman would say they were inspired by a sporting event that happened on terrestrial tv. you can imagine young person out there watching today & wanting to be Djokovic, Ben Stokes, Hamilton, Leclerc or Verstappen

you sound like my dad, he was the same. he was fuming at the tv director then as well LOL

which is completely right director thought lewis had overtake done & prematurely cut to the crowd but we could all tell that bottas was coming back so we all blind for few secs that felt like mins

I was literally shouting at the TV (probably looking like a right moron to my family)!

I felt the same, the stupid person cut away from the main action, why? Worst bit is it wasn't just one mistake, it kept happening.

Nice touch to let Charlie Whiting's son push the button for the start of the race too. It was a pretty good race all in all, actually passing for position and all that.

Mind you it wasn't as tense as the end of the cricket, my word that super over was something else. I'm not even really a cricket fan but I was on the edge of my seat for that!

Back
Top Bottom