Grand Prix 2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Ruslan

Podium Finisher
Interesting race, and in some respects the first race of 2020. A few observations:

1. Race long McLaren-Renault duel. Suspect this will continue all next season. Lando ended up ahead of Sainz, Ricciardo ended up ahead of Hulkenberg. Hulkenberg leaves F1. Is that Sainz's future? Perez ended up ahead of all four of them and still gets no respect.

2. Leclerc ahead of an underperforming Vettel. I really hope to see a different Vettel at the start of next season. If not, 2020 will be his last season with Ferrari.

3. Another extremely competent Hamilton drive (when did he change from being a brash kid to a thoughtful driver?). Another "not quite good enough" drive from Bottas. You just kind of knew that no matter what, he was not going to grab 3rd.

4. Is Hamilton vs Verstappen going to be the duel of 2020? Or.....will we see a four-way contest between Hamilton, Verstappen, Leclerc and Vettel? I hope for the latter. Would love to see a McLaren or Renault stick their nose into it every now and then.

5. Gasly continues to show that he is fast but inconsistent. Albon continues to show he is consistent. I am not convinced he is as fast. Kvyat appears to be back in decline. I think he needed the right positive environment to succeed. I do not think that exists for any driver at Red Bull unless their name begins with a V.

6. Was the racing better with or without DRS?

Last edited:
Top Bottom