Grand Prix 2018 Canadian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Montreal is the world’s second largest majority French-speaking city, appropriately enough after Paris. It is also the second largest city in Canada, after Toronto. It is not the capital of Quebec nor of Canada. Is it always a bridesmaid?

Well, maybe in an F1 sense it is appropriate that this city’s circuit be named after Formula One’s ultimate bridesmaid, Gilles Villeneuve. And I’m sure many of us had Jarama on the mind as Ricciardo slowed in Monaco...

However, this circuit has spurned many a bridesmaid down the years in favour of Lewis Hamilton, who seeks to match Michael Schumacher’s remarkable seven wins at this circuit. Hamilton has always shown a great affinity for this circuit and will surely go well again.

It is still to be seen, however, if this is still a Mercedes circuit. While the silver arrows flowed beautifully through the fast curves of Catalonia, the fastest circuit yet encountered (Baku) saw Vettel on pole and Räikkönen putting all the sectors in if not on the same lap. Maybe Baku’s closest twin will deliver another fast day for Ferrari. Then again, Hamilton somehow won that race.

Max Verstappen, fresh from failing to win in Monaco when in the only healthy version of the fastest car, is suffering some reputational damage for the first time in his short career. Personally, I expect famine or feast in Montreal.

As for the others, well, it’d be nice if there was a chance for any of them. They’re all fighting for 7th though.

Who’ll be truly Montrealais this year, and finish 2nd? Time will tell!

Results:

Canadian Grand Prix Results - 10 June 2018 - 68 Laps
POS DRIVER NATIONALITY ENTRANT LAPS TIME/RETIRE
1. Sebastian Vettel Germany Ferrari 68 1h28m31.377
2. Valtteri Bottas Finland Mercedes GP 68 7.376
3. Max Verstappen Netherlands Red Bull-Tag Heurer 68 8.360
4. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Red Bull-Tag Heurer 68 20.892
5. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes GP 68 21.559
6. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Ferrari 68 27.184
7. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Renault 67 1 Lap
8. Carlos Sainz Spain Renault 67 1 Lap
9. Esteban Ocon France Force India-Mercedes 67 1 Lap
10. Charles Leclerc Monaco Sauber-Ferrari 67 1 Lap
11. Pierre Gasly France Toro Rosso-Honda 67 1 Lap
12. Romain Grosjean France Haas-Ferrari 67 1 Lap
13. Kevin Magnussen Denmark Haas-Ferrari 67 1 Lap
14. Sergio Perez Mexico Force India-Mercedes 67 1 Lap
15. Marcus Ericsson Sweden Sauber-Ferrari 66 2 Laps
16. Stoffel Vandoorne Belgium McLaren-Renault 66 2 Laps
17. Sergey Sirotkin/td> Russia Williams-Mercedes 66 2 Laps
R Fernando Alonso Spain McLaren-Renault Turbo
R Lance Stroll Canada Williams-Mercedes 0 Accident
R Brendon Hartley New Zealand Toro Rosso-Honda 0 Accident
FASTEST LAP:
Valtteri Bottas Finland Mercedes GP 51 1m13.992

I am not sure about the fastest lap that is listed here.....I though it went to Daniel Ricciardo...not wait....Max Verstappen......

A few observations:

1. This was a really boring race. It looked promising after qualifying, but in the end, it was boring. Only one lead change from qualifying among the top seven (Ricciardo got ahead of Hamilton and Raikkonen on the pit stops).
2. Perfectly competent jobs from Vettel, Bottas, Verstappen and Ricciardo....on what was a boring dive.
3. Mystified how Raikkonen ends up in sixth while his teammate is first.
4. Mystified how Raikkonen ends up behind a Mercedes that has cooling problems and pit stopped too early....while his teammate finished ahead a Mercedes.
5. Mystified why Raikkonen still has a job (I also have serious doubts about the other Finn).
6. Perfectly good runs by the Renaults. Hulkenberg continues to outperform Sainz.
7. Good runs by Ocon, Leclerc and Gasly. Leclerc put a Sauber in 10th, which is saying a lot.
8. Mystified by the completely unproductive performance by Vandoorne. People keep saying he is really good....yet, it doesn't show up that often on the track.

Anyhow, F1 needs to do something about the front wings and aerodynamics...because this is getting pretty boring. I gather they are making some changes next year. We shall see.

Just a word for the much maligned Valterri Bottas. But for a last lap puncture at Azkerban he would be 2 points behind Hamilton in the championship and 9 points off the championship lead. Yes I know it's all woulda shoulda coulda but it's still worth pointing out. It especially worth pointing out when he's still getting luke warm reviews after a race where he hung the great Verstappen out to dry on the first corner and served his team mate up on a platter at a circuit where he is supposed to be a god.

Personally I think the only difference between Bottas and Rosberg at this point is that Bottas is racing in an era where the Mercs can get beat by other cars. I'm sure Mercedes will tell him after the summer break it's his job to support Lewis as a number 2 and his head will go down opening up for more critics but I guess that's F1.

I suppose having the personality of a wet fish doesn't help his cause.

Last edited:
As much as N Rosberg Esq. is not the most engaging personality he had some interesting comments about how to beat Lewis in the same team during both the pre and post race chat on Sky. Remember how vexed everyone got when he developed his new cornering technique in Austria? I presume this was all part of the plan to destabilise Lewis emotionally and we know he can be fragile in that department so, perhaps, Valerie need to get his elbows out with both the other drivers and his team mate.

FB I don't think Merc would allow such games now. Back then they could fanny around as much as they liked and still get a one two. As we saw this weekend with Hamilton if you don't turn up for the races the you end up 5th.

I do think he showed his metal with Verstappen at first corner though. Even though David Croft had called it as a great overtake by Verstappen before they'd even gone through the corner.

Last edited:
I’ve just put money on Bottas in the You Bet thread for France. I really feel it’s time for me to seek help.

That crash for Hartley was awful, I mean Stroll had lost the car and didn't mean to shove him into the wall but that was a horrible crash. That two races running he's been taken out by someone else having a drama, the poor guy has no luck.

After going off track when he touched Sainz, how the hell did Perez either not collect anyone or not get hit when he came back onto the track? My heart was in my mouth at that point, I was just waiting for an impact!

Shame for Alonso that he had to retire the car again, especially on his 300th race. Another good point picked up by Leclerc, that boy is doing a great job in the Sauber. No points again for Grosjean, despite beating his team mate who started 9 places ahead of him and had no dramas that I saw, (I only had highlights).

Great win by Vettel for me, I know he was never really challenged but he kept it together did what he needed to and is now leading the championship again, that makes me feel :D:D:D

I'd forgotten all about Perez suddenly appearing in shot going the wrong direction to the rest of the pack! It was bizarre to say the least.

As much as N Rosberg Esq. is not the most engaging personality he had some interesting comments about how to beat Lewis in the same team during both the pre and post race chat on Sky. Remember how vexed everyone got when he developed his new cornering technique in Austria? I presume this was all part of the plan to destabilise Lewis emotionally and we know he can be fragile in that department so, perhaps, Valerie need to get his elbows out with both the other drivers and his team mate.

Anthony Davidson made a good point in 1 of the practise sessions that for some reason his reputation, is what needs changing because as he says when bottas beats its because lewis Hamilton has an off weekend. not because bottas beat him fair & square

The interview Kravitz did with Niki Lauda after the race was a bit of a slap in the face for Valtteri. He'd just finished in second place, behind a car and driver that no one else could have beaten and the question was about what a bad weekend it had been for "the team". Well, actually, Bottas had quite a good weekend Ted and Lewis having an off day doesn't mean that the whole Merc team will be crying in to their curry wurst that evening.

The interview Kravitz did with Niki Lauda after the race was a bit of a slap in the face for Valtteri. He'd just finished in second place, behind a car and driver that no one else could have beaten and the question was about what a bad weekend it had been for "the team". Well, actually, Bottas had quite a good weekend Ted and Lewis having an off day doesn't mean that the whole Merc team will be crying in to their curry wurst that evening.

Apart from that moment when Bottas was lapping Sainz and went off the track briefly.

Again a focus on a negative in a good performance.

It's an image thing most definitely.

True, apart from that one error he had a good weekend, however it is those unforced errors that can cost you dear in a championship run. It didn't in this case, and of course we're all human and we all make mistakes. I was just pointing out it could be said that he could have done better is all.

But it didn't cost him anything. There is an argument that to be world champion you need to make your mistakes and get away with them.

Time for our usual trip to cloud cuckoo land for the Sky driver ratings.

Canadian GP driver ratings

How they can score Hulkenberg a 9 and Sainz a 7 when they spent the entire weekend in team formation I really have no idea. How has one scored two higher than other!?!

I think we really need to see workings on these things.

Last edited:
Bottas is unlucky to be mercedes at this time. Like 98 Williams 03 ferrari 07 renault 14 red bull. Sort of miss the domination boat. Had rosberg had this competition in 2018. He might not have won in 2016, but he was right place right time & capitalised on his 1 opportunity.

Its certainly an image thing as it was bad weekend for the team but fantastic weekend for bottas. If i was harsh self inflicted because once he got into kimi territory post Austria last reason getting well beaten week after week. Could this be the 1st signs of bottas not being at merc in 2019. If they only feel confident that 1 driver can win the world championship

Back
Top Bottom