FIA 2017 Formula One Calendar

I long for a calendar of 16 high quality race tracks around the globe.

21 is far too many and the season just blurs into one lump.

This year is the first one where I have actively done other things on GP days. In the past I would watch F1 before anything else on a weekend (just ask the wife).

I actually think that Abu Dhabi and Australia are two of the few races I've watched at the time they we're actually on. TVO means I can fit F1 round my day rather than fitting my day round F1. As long as I remember to stay off the internet.

I do think the calender is a bit too long now days and we'd get more excitement from having a little less.

Wolff open to helping German GP rescue
2016-11-27
Nov.27 (GMM) Mercedes is not ruling out making a financial contribution to keep the German grand prix on track.

However, it appears that when the final 2017 calendar is published shortly by the FIA, it will be missing a Hockenheim date after talks with Bernie Ecclestone collapsed.

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff joins Bernie Ecclestone in not fully understanding why the German race is struggling for profitability.

"Maybe it is due to the fact that Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel won so many races and titles," he is quoted by Speed Week.

But would Mercedes step into the breach and help Hockenheim pay the fee to Ecclestone?

"The fact is, when the race was doubtful in the past we offered financial help, so we are open to lending a hand. But at that time nothing came of it," revealed Wolff.

GPGuide | News - Wolff open to helping German GP rescue

As long as they don't let Tilke near it and paint over those horrible stripes around the corners, go for it.

don't they have a special surface which slows the car down when they go off line? If so, that could be interesting!

This is a few years back but lay out is the same and you can see what cider_and_toast is saying about the blue lines.

The blue lines are supposed to be grained and therefore slow you down however it has never really made much difference in my view. Might do on F1 tyres that aren't designed to last though.

I suspect then a bigger effort from Renault then seeing there is a home race to be competitive in F1

I'm glad its Paul Ricard ..just a shame the mistral straight has now got a chicane in the middle of it

It's just occurred to me... the circuit when it last held the French GP is too short for current minimum length requirements by some distance.

Is there any chance at all they would revert it to its original configuration? I know they' ve added several bits of track here and there so there are now several possible layouts. It would great to see the return of the Verrerie esses though... that section wasn't for the faint-hearted but very spectacular.

There was an interesting article on the Autosport website arguing for a return to a 16 race calendar and which races should, and shouldn't be included.

I fully support its conclusion that the season is far, far too long as it stands.

Funny you should say that. On the eve of the final GP I found I felt nowhere near as excited as I'd been in previous seasons even though the title was still at stake. Definitely felt the season had gone on for too long to maintain the tension. Throughout the season the identity of the race winner had basically depended on whomever of the two Merc drivers gets the better start with Red Bull and Ferrari in the supporting cast and after 21 races of that it gets a bit samey...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom