Formula 1 fans, HELP!! research project

f12000

Browser
Hi all,

I am a university student and for my undergraduate dissertation I am exploring Formula 1 fans climate change attitudes and what that means for the future of the sport.

Any responses are greatly appreciated, and please feel free to share with any family or friends who watch Formula 1.

Thank you in advance!

Link to Questionnaire: The Race to Net Zero: Climate Change and Formula 1

Had a go at it but as a fan there is not much we can do about it, most watch on TV, eat and drink vegan at a GP it tended to demean the survey, perhaps they should look at football, the travel to matches worldwide exceeds that of F1, F1 is mainly the logistics, crowd travel is low as attendance is between 100.000 and about 150,000

Last edited:
Had a go at it but as a fan there is not much we can do about it, most watch on TV, eat and drink vegan at a GP it tended to demean the survey, perhaps they should look at football, the travel to matches worldwide exceeds that of F1, F1 is mainly the logistics, crowd travel is low as attendance is between 100.000 and about 150,000
Thank you for taking part in the survey!
I agree, there are many other sports that also need to take responsibility and are ultimately a bigger contributor to carbon emissions than Formula 1. However, it is very interesting to see what F1 fans think about climate change and where the responsibility lies, especially as F1 has been thought to be bad for the environment since many of the general public believe that cars are a problem for climate change. You are right though, logistics are the main issue with emissions from the cars being very low comparable to logistics. I just don't see how they will become net zero unless drastic measures are took with the logistics side of it. They can use sustainable fuel in their vehicles that transport round all the equipment, but I still do not see it happening within the 2030 target. But I doubt many will want to compromise on the global spectacle of it all (I certainly love that they race across the world). But sport has a massive carbon footprint and with politics continually being intertwined, it will be interesting to see what the future is for F1 as they move to being more environmentally friendly. Perhaps it will become more like FE which has been net zero from the get go. But I imagine that would not go down too well with fans...
Do you think they will become Net Zero by 2030 as planned?

FE is not carbon neutral or Net Zero all this offsetting is really a big marketing con, in the real world you either pollute or you don't, if you burn anything you pollute and produce CO2 except in the case of hydrogen, but generally hydrogen is produced from non-renewable CO2 producing sources, yes F1 will become Net Zero by 2030 using the same offsetting marketing propaganda as all Net Zero companies and organisations do today.
I was amused to see the demonstrations against fossil fuels and products using a GRP yacht, styrene the binding agent in GRP is a direct product of oil, when Greenpeace and their allies use wooden boats with oars and cotton sails instead of Hypalon dinghy's with outboard motors in their demonstrations I may have a slight respect for them.

Back
Top Bottom