Le Mans 2016 WEC

Feel so much for all the people involved in the Toyota programme, absolutely devastating. Goes to show it's never over 'til it's over

That must be 1 of the most cruellist heartbreaking things ive seen in sport nevermind. To run for 24hrs most of it in the lead & have victory in the bag. Then with 3mins to go halfway around the penultimate lap the car dies. but I guess that's why it's called the 24hrs of le mans & not the 23hrs 56mins of le mans

If Davidson didnt have bad luck they would've no luck at all. Im trying to think of crueler things off the top of head maybe hill in 97 & probably hilderbrand 2011 in indy 500

:o:bawl::censored:

Last edited:
Although this is 1 of strangest podiums.

:1st: Porsche #2 are dumbfounded & slightly embarrassed to celebrate after it was handed on a plate
:2nd:Toyota are understandably gutted because of the teammates such heartbreaking luck
:3rd: Audi are peed off because pace was nowhere & 12 laps down

Im trying to think of crueler things off the top of head maybe hill in 97 & probably hilderbrand 2011 in indy 500

:o:bawl::censored:

I thought of Mansell in Canada at 1991, just because of the way the car slowed and stopped, but even that doesn't really compare. Retiring from the lead at 99.74% of the race distance...

I guess that's why it's called the 24hrs of le mans & not the 23hrs 56mins of le mans

----------------------------------------

That's Le Mans for you though. These race-changing moments feel particularly intense to watch when you catch them live and even more so when you're actually witnessing them live. For those lucky to be attending this year the fact it happened in the last few minutes would have made the atmosphere feel absolutely electrifying.

The first motorsport event I ever spectated was actually the 1990 edition when Jaguar were ruling the roost and there was the little Brun team giving the leading Jag a hard time throughout, and making the Joest (at the time a Porsche factory team in all but name) look like amateurs.

Then with 15 mns to go the engine on the Brun 962C let go on the Mulsannes straight... Almost as hearbreaking as what happened yesterday, and even the Jag supporters let out a collective groan of commiseration. Cruel certainly, but that's wwhat makes Lee Mans special.

Last edited:
So true, when you're following a race for that length of time you end up with more invested in the outcome.

I was there in 2010, when Peugeot were fastest but Audi were so reliable and so consistent, one by one the French cars blew their engines with the pressure of keeping up the pace. They were down to the final private ORECA car, Loïc Duval setting lap records in pursuit, and the crowd were on their feet, naturally, until that one, too, blew up with an hour to go. And all the air went out of the place; mechanics, drivers, teams completely physically and mentally exhausted.

Rather poignantly, one of my abiding memories is of the ORECA team boss Hugues de Chaunac in tears on the big screen; Hugues is with Toyota now, and it was his tears that the cameras caught again on Sunday. A very cruel business.

Special mention should go to Frederic Sausset, the quadruple amputee driver who competed at the wheel of his specially-adapted Morgan-Nissan LMP2 in the New Technologies 56th car.

Staggeringly he not only successfully completed the distance but did so after putting in comparable lap times to his fully able-bodied team-mates.

lemans-24-hours-of-le-mans-2016-84-srt41-by-oak-racing-morgan-nissan-frederic-sausset-chri.jpg

7783744781_jean-bernard-bouvet-christophe-tinseau-et-frederic-sausset.jpg

Last edited:
Just to keep all you WEC fans up to date, the 1000kms of Nurburgring takes place on 24th July.

Thanks for the reminder Galahad. Audi, Porsche, Audi, Porsche on the grid but in 2-1 formation then the Toyotas. It's live on Motors TV if anyone wants to watch it Sky 447 or Virgin 545. It's not on Freeview anymore I'm afraid.

Stonking race going on at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez and there is still 4 hours of racing left.

Back
Top Bottom