Poll 2016 Monaco Grand Prix - Out of Ten

How did you rate the Monaco Grand Prix Out of Ten?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.1%

Votes: 4 8.5%

Votes: 19 40.4%

Votes: 12 25.5%

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Hamiltons complaint Bill Boddy is that he wanted two runs, one of which was compromised by the fuel pump issue and being delayed starting the first of the two. Psychologically it affected his final lap as he didn't have a banker. Which I can understand.

However Vettel used to get pole on one flyer frequently. For all we know Rosberg and Ricciardo would have beaten him anyway so it's a crappy and obsolete argument.

Surely Hamilton could have synchronised himself with the traffic, his car was in running condition, he could leave the garage when he wanted to. What was this traffic? The other drivers had put in their first lap, gone back to the garage where they had to go into the garage to get the fuel correct. It couldn't have been that he was going for his lap after the others had finished theirs as that would have meant starting it after the chequered flag had come out.

BIll the fact he had a fuel pump problem at the start of Q3 and had to be wheeled back to the garage missing his first run altogether and not knowing if he'd get out at all, at Monaco where qualifying is so important, was a compromise.

Beyond that, he wasn't sent out at the best of times. ( maybe just relieved to get the car going the team let him out as soon as it was fixed? I don't know I'm guessing here) he went out with about 5 or 6 minutes left so encountered traffic returning from their first flying lap. By the time he got a clear run his tyres weren't in best condition. He was well up on Ricciardo in sector two but lost out in sector three. He should have been sent out to head the cars going for their second run.
So maybe a bit of a strategic blunder there as well as the mechanical issues?

It's widely reported that his qualifying was compromised by the engine issue. And Hamilton has said pole was there for the taking.

When he did get out Hamilton has said he got traffic and his tyres weren't at their best when he did get a clear run. I'll see if I can find where he said it. ( about to go out so will be later)

This differs from a driver electing to do one run to save tyres, in that instance the whole q3 is geared to that end. The driver/team chooses when he goes out to optimise the one run. He isn't forced into it due to mechanical issues. And one wouldn't do that round Monaco when it's easy to do a one stop.
But let's just call it a 'crappy and obsolete arguement' . :rolleyes:

Last edited:
NJB13 ..... If Hamilton had slowed enough to make the chicane he would have stayed on the racing line which would have effectively and legally blocked any attempt by Ricciardo to make a pass. The only clean pass possible at the chicane, or any chicane, is to achieve an overlap as you approach the entry. Hamilton only disadvantaged himself which is probably why the stewards decided, 'no further action'.
Hi Kewee Thanks for responding. :chuffed: Being new here I tend to spend more time reading than posting, so I already know your a great contributor. That said, I can't agree with you on this on. There are two compelling reasons:-
1) We have the precedent set with Perez and Alonso ('13 I think) at exactly that spot with Alonso cutting exactly the same corner. It was so clear that even Alonso agreed he should have been penalized.
2) If Hamilton had stayed on track its clear there is more than enough room for two cars wide and Lewis would have been going so slow there that Dan would have easily carried more than enough speed to power past him.

Lewis absolutely dodged a bullet with this one, he should have been penalised. But you take the good with the bad and he didn't throw away that bit of good fortune so well done by him in that regard.

Lastly, it always make me smile when I read about "the" racing line. Personally I don't believe there is one such thing. Each driver determines their line based on all the circumstances at the time. It can change lap to lap depending on a myriad of different circumstances.

Hope I haven't gotten off on a bad foot with you mate by disagreeing. :cheers:

Hi NJB13. No we haven't gotten off on the wrong foot though we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this one. There is a fastest line through any corner which is why it's referred to as the racing line, the title of this forum states the same, "Clip the Apex".
The fastest line not only applies to circuit racing but also rallying and in fact all forms of racing, with the possible exception of oval track racing in the US where the track has huge width and drivers can set up a car to work best on either the pole line or the high line which is out near the wall. Normal rarely applies on American ovals. I do stand by my comment regarding chicanes. If Hamilton had stayed on line he wouldn't have lost speed and there's no way Ricciardo would have been able to go off line to make a pass, especially considering he would have been on the damp part of the circuit. Chicanes have mostly been inserted to slow speeds in the interests of safety, often at the beginning of a long straight, though also sometimes near the end of a straight. Monza has both.
As I said in the posting you replied to, gaining an overlap on entry enables the pass to be made before drivers enter a chicane, two cars at racing speed simply can't race through a chicane together without contact, the driver that's forced off line almost always pays the price. The only other option for the trailing driver is to try to gain better drive out of the chicane to enable him to carry more speed on the following straight to make a pass well after they've left the chicane, but even then he will probably need the help of DRS.
By the way NJB13, as your new here I should warn you, I'm on the other side of the world so if I stop replying please don't think I'm being rude, I've probably gone to bed. I always check in when I wake up so I will always reply. :friends: :yawn: :sleeping:

Last edited:
Did Hamilton complain that his lap was compromised?
Hi, heres one of Hamilton's comments after quali..........

“Didn't have any mistakes, I had traffic,” he said. “I did an out-lap, a warm-up lap, went to push, had traffic, people coming out to start their second run, and when I wanted to push, I just had to drive around because I was out of sync again I had to wait until I was on the same lap as everyone else, so I did three laps…

“Absolutely [I could have challenged]. I can't say it was going to be pole for sure, but definitely in contention.”
Read more at Hamilton convinced he had Monaco pole pace | F1 News

Could I remind everyone that if they have an issue with something posted on these pages, the report button is the only option for raising these issues. That way I can deal with the matter. Personal insults will not be tolerated. Thanks. C_A_T.

Back
Top Bottom