Grand Prix 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Just when you thought you knew what would happen next, Nico Rosberg decides to challenge that thought and win with style the Singapore Grand Prix, taking the championship lead in the process. Bernie Ecclestone should be rubbing his hands and laughing out loud, he'll go with a bang. If you have under a rock, you must know that Liberty Media corporation has purchase a controlling stake of Formula One (trademark) from CVC and already there have been sparks between Ecclestone and the new chairman Chase Carey, vice-president of 21st Century Fox (let's remember Fox News is one of its assets) who in turn is owned by no other that Rupert Murdoch. When you hear his name you usually see the word 'unethical' being thrown as well. This is true on both sides of the pond as he is a major holder of News International, well known by our British friends. So let us recap by saying F1 has changes owners and somehow we ended up with a more devious villain than Ecclestone himself who has already threaten to leave if he doesn't have his way.

Ok, but back to what really concern us, the Malaysian Gran Prix hosted at the Sepang Grand Prix for the 17th time this year. The first of the so-called Tilke motordromes could be the best one of the new circuits of late (with the exception of Austin probably). Long straights, very tight corners, wide track that favours overtaking, the possibility of a monsoon at any time during the race like famously happened in 2001 when both Ferraris went out only to finish 1-2 at the end of the day. The outcome of this race's race lies with Mercedes as no other team has been able to challenge it consistently. With six races to go, anything can happen and not even Lewis Hamilton knows (or prefer not to say) when will the tide turn on his favour. Only 8 points separate him from teammate Rosberg who has won the last 3. From early in the season many people (myself included) has forecast Rosberg will break at some point and so far that hasn't happened.

Best of the rest is still being disputed by Ferrari and Red Bull with the British based Austrian team still leading the Italians. Ferrari has made all that they can to sabotage themselves throughout the season and Malaysia is probably not going to be different. Vettel has grown frustrated and has voiced his concerns loudly. Raikkonen keeps his low profile and somehow has kept his rival close in the classification. Riccardo has now given us 4 o 5 memorable races and is quickly becoming the Driver of the Season whereas young Verstappen has picked a fight with whoever challenges his antics publicly. Both Jacques Villeneuve and Niki Lauda have dealt with the Dutch anger. The conversation about the need to go to shrink though has been truly a interesting one with Lauda having the upper hand in my view.

Will we see another animal on the road like we did in Singapore? Now that's what I call entertainment. Perhaps a bigger one each race to the end of the season so that by the team to get to Japan Godzilla makes an appearance? On with the race and the discussion, things will only get worse before they get better.

PS. Sadly Button is taking a sabbatical day next year. What will the outcome be? Will he return a-la Prost to win his last Championship or retire quietly like Hakkinen and go back to having fun racing? Only time can tell ...

Lewis' outburst at the end was a understandable but not fair to his mechanics who have been working hard to prepare the car

The luck seems to fall to Nico but that is F1 I am afraid. People say he is not deserving champion but no one said anything when he had engine failures a few seasons back

There are times when in past seasons when the faster driver that season has lost to their more reliable and steadier teammate so its a not a new phenomenon

Incidentally Vettel has another start where he is wiped out again... he never use to get these when he was at Red Bull?:whistle:

Bill Boddy I laid the kiss of death on Vettel and not Rosberg am afraid

Personally I thought that the penalty on Rosberg was very harsh and it was just as well that Rosberg was fast enough to annul it. To me it looked like an absolutely brilliant move and it was only a brush between the cars with no damage to slow down the Ferrari.

Bill Boddy he didn't really have a penalty did he. Nothing happened, stayed where he was.

On Lewis and his mechanics, I don't think his comments were in any way directed at his mechanics.i think he was equally upset on their behalf. Mercedes posted a picture of him in the garage with them afterwards. More a frustrated comment generally.

Had this happened to Hamilton racecub this thread would have been a hundred posts longer. Rosberg fooled Raikkonen on the line he was going to take, saw the gap appear and went for it just as any racing driver worth his salt would have done. I would like to see what Raikkonen says about it.

Personally I thought that the penalty on Rosberg was very harsh and it was just as well that Rosberg was fast enough to annul it. To me it looked like an absolutely brilliant move and it was only a brush between the cars with no damage to slow down the Ferrari.

It was certainly a bold move, but so bold that no-one could have seen it coming and it was inevitable to cause a collision. Lucky for both of them that Raikonnen's side-pod took the hit without more damage. It was an unnecessary move too because Rosberg was always gonna catch him, he woulda had loads of easy opportunities on the straights over that and the following laps.

Considering the circumstances I think the 10 second penalty was inspired, as it created a genuine race between Ros and Rai, giving Rai a chance at a podium, whilst penalising Rosberf but not too much.

Bill Boddy he didn't really have a penalty did he. Nothing happened, stayed where he was.

--------------------

Yes he did. The fact it didn't change the result is incidental.

I rarely get disgusted about penalties after incidents but this one was oe of the most disgraceful I remember seeing. It was an aggressive and ruthless move but well executed and his car was fully alongside Kimi' s. It wasn't even a race incident as there was no actual incident. I don't care whether the penalty changed the result or not, the message it sends is just ridiculous. There' s been a lot of grumbling among fans and competitors alike that the sport is becoming way over-regulated but this really taks the biscuit.

Well that' s it then. Aggressive risky moves all outlawed thereon, whether they result in incidents or not. Just follow the car in front and wait for DRS. >:(

Last edited:
Yes that's what I meant. They gave a penalty that changed nothing and was unlikely to change anything....so why give it? It was an aggressive chop, that Rosberg has done a few of this season, but they're racing. It was a racing incident. But again it shows stewards inconsistencies.

Remember that time Jean Alesi's engine blew up for the millionth time and he rushed straight to the media and cried conspiracy? No. Didn't happen back in the 80's and 90's did it? Engines blew up all the time. I'm sure Berger had a season in 1988 where he retired with engine failures 14 out of 16 races and got podiums for the other two. Seeing an engine blow whilst someone was dominating almost made me feel nostalgic.

You can understand Lewis frustration as he was on such top form but take a deep breath before going to the media pen kid!

Incubus I find it quite amusing Vettel is handed the penalty.. earlier in his F1 career he was a really poor starter and would lose positions

It just seems like he's been caught up in so many this season.. had he been a rookie then we might label him to be a nutcase ?

This is what pen kid wrote....
Mercedes retweeted it.

Lewis Hamilton on Twitter

Would't have had to write anything if he'd just been a bit calmer though. I get being angry and I'm not criticising but he does tend to dig holes in media sometimes. I'm more dissapointed he doesn't have someone there to give him some gentle advice before he gets put in that media pen. Hope it's not a case of to many yes men around him.

And this is the reason we have media zombies.

Personally, i like the heart on my sleeve lewis. Hee was angry, he hadnt had time to rationalise things in his head, so he cams out with ig. Fair enough. He has reflected anc come up with a balance, and hopefully put it away.

I mean, god forbid we should end up with a grid of Kimis.

#blessed.

Back
Top Bottom