Grand Prix 2015 Russian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

дравствуйте товарищи!

No longer the new kid on the block, the Russian GP is now an established race at the end of a championship that seems to go on and on. This year the highlight of the race is Aussi artist Natalie Imbruglia which along with Diskoteca Avariya and DJ Legran will try to bring some joy to the Motorsport aficionados. If 2014 was anything to go by, there is little to hope for the race that takes place is warm-for-russia Sochi. It really is a reflection of what’s been going on lately with the sport. We seem to have seamlessly gone from a Red Bull/Vettel domination in early 2000s to the rule of Mercedes/Hamilton, with the difference that Hamilton has really little opposition and it’s not a matter of if but when will he clinch the championship.

14 races into the championship and we are more or less at the same place we were a year ago with Lewis Hamilton in front and Nico Rosberg a little further back. This year Ferrari is playing catch up with Vettel breathing on Mercedes neck, the same way Riccardo did last year. It may be not everybody’s opinion but so far the season has been little more than boredom all the way, unless you are a Hamilton hard core fan that is.

Pirelli will bring the super-softs in an attempt to spice things up but probably that’s only going to make Mercedes life easier and you’ll know after the first lap what the final classification is going to be. FIA bosses have tried to change the sport to improve the TV audiences and interest in F1 in general, with little success. And while the real fans keep coming back for more, we all know it’s going to be little bit more than a Mercedes parade.

Drama seems to be unfolding actually outside the track; will Red Bull retire from the sport? Is Renault coming back with the works team? Are both Button and Alonso so disappointed by their “GP2” power units that they are ready to hang their helmets and head to greener pastures? Is Kvyat finally going to get his maiden win? Who’s Haas fielding for next year?

If you ask me, F1 can borrow a page or two from Indy Carts (sans the accidents); after all the race finale couldn't have been any more thrilling with 4 drivers still with option to win. If you take the incredible speed and bravado of Hamilton, Vettel’s car control, Button precision, Alonso’s intelligence, Riccardo’s smile and a bunch of kinds that are just old enough to have a drink fighting for the coveted spot of “the best new thing in town” and put them in those monstrosities that Indy officials call cars, people would tune in, for sure. But that’s topic for a different thread.

For the time being, let us relax, drink a little Vodka and continue to hope for the impossible; one interesting race …

I'm really sorry, but opinions about Russia, its government, its politics, its foreign policy, its history, its people or its natural beauty are irrelevant to the fact that this is a huge, great, stinking turd of a circuit.

I would assume that Moscow Raceway, since it is:
  1. Used by WSR and
  2. An actual race circuit as opposed to a circuit based upon a pre-existing structure.

I think I've mentioned before that if F1 were to look at the human rights record of any of the countries it races in we would have 19 races in Canada, so let's not get hung about the politics in Russia when there are races in Bahrain, China, the US, the UK etc, etc.. The simple fact is that this circuit, measured by last years race is crap. However, we did have indestructible tyres so let's see how this year goes and then I will make a decision.

given the track is 5.8km long and has none of the trademark Tilke double hairpins, there is only one good overtaking place and that needs DRS

If Max Verstappen can't pass anyone, nobody can

One of the F1 journalists I follow on twitter, Adam Cooper, did tweet that there's no mention of the 2016 race on Canadaian F1 website (whatever that is) and suggested the possibility of it being twinned with Baku as apparently there has been some rumours of that. Seeing as the FIA claim the calendar is now final, that seems unlikely. It certainly wouldn't be popular!

"With special permission from the circuit owners, Russian Drift Series racer Nikita Shikov brought his new 800bhp Toyota RocketBull86 to Sochi and proceeded to spread his tyres all over the circuit, filling the Olympic venue with black smoke.
In circuit racing, the average speed around turn three is 150kph (93mph), but Nikita passes through the turn at 170kph (105mph) with his wheels spinning at an incredible 260kph (161mph)."

the FIA and Formula One code is neutral partiality when it comes to politics. That has been their stance and remember they actually condemned the Turkish race organisers on their debut race that one of the people handing the trophy was introduced as the Head of Cyprus when the real Head of Cyprus is from the Greek part of Cyprus

That caused them embarrassment.

Going back to Russia ... yes Vladimir Putin stinks and is a dictator but reaching out to Russia is good business for Bernie and potentially the F1 teams looking for sponsors

Going back to Russia ... yes Vladimir Putin stinks and is a dictator but reaching out to Russia is good business for Bernie and potentially the F1 teams looking for sponsors

I cannot speak to your Prime Minister, but President Obama over here doesn't smell too good either, and I'm not coming from a Looney Tunes right wing perspective.

Obama isn't the most well liked, especially by the right wing, but I don't know how in the world you can compare his presidency to Putin's reign.

His accelerated use of waging attacks with drones in places like Afghanistan, Yemen and Pakistan have only added to the pool of groups like Isis, or support of Israel and giving them cover for their recent tearing apart of the Gaza Strip.

Back
Top Bottom