Grand Prix 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So here it is, the season finale and the two Mercedes drivers go in to it with the chance of taking the title. Hamilton leads Rosberg by 17 points so a repeat of the result in Brazil makes Lewis the Champion but double points means that the permutations are almost endless (boringly endless that is).

Two titles have already been sown up. Mercedes are constructors Champions and Nico Rosberg is the Pole Position Champion. Hands up all those who thought he would beat Lewis in qualifying? No one? Thought not. There will be a few other cars and drivers at the race but, frankly, all most of us will be interested in is which of the Merc drivers comes out on top. With 10 wins to 6 Lewis would have won on Bernie's Gold Medal system but then the Ring Master decided that simply winning races isn't enough and to keep things "interesting" decided making one race result worth twice that of any other was a good idea. I wonder what craziness will be visited on us fans next year. Perhaps something for a separate discussion.

Back to the race, this is the one which starts in the sunshine and then gets dark and it has the weird pit lane which makes the cars look like they are leaving a multi-storey car park. For anyone going, Ferrari World is just outside the circuit, somehow I don't think it will be Ferrari World inside.

Anyone got any other thoughts? Can Williams steal a win? Will McLaren carry on improving? Will this be Jenson Button's final race in F1? Sebastian Vettel will be saying goodbye to Red Bull, Sutil and Gutierrez will, most likely, be saying goodbye to F1 and we've already said goodbye to Caterham and Marussia.

Hope you are sitting comfortably, let the final race begin.

Last edited:
Let us hope, for Brogan 's sanity and site cohesiveness, that if Lewis gets a DNF for mechanical or accident reasons, that Mercedes do the decent thing and retire Nico's car as well (for whatever spurious reason) - that way the ludicrous and spiteful Abu Double never even comes into play, and the world can sit back in the rosy glow of a season where justice was well-served (apparently...);)

Brogan It's Mephistopheles, he has Rosberg in his "very nice young man" group, alongside Button.:ermmm: I'm sure in all seriousness Rosberg has many more fans, I've been impressed with him overall this season. Fortune has favoured him a little, but that's happened in many a season and is nothing new. I don't expect Merc to make any grand gesture of alleged fairness, the championship will be won on the track or, quite possibly, off it.

LH received more support from the crowd in Germany than NR - it might have been because he was coming through from the back of the grid although I also believe the German F1 fans recognise a superb racing driver.

My flabber would be well and truly gasted if it was anything other than a relatively comfortable win for Hamilton in both the race and the championship. Since Spa, he seems in my opinion to have found a more relaxed attitude to misfortune and seems a lot less moody and miserable when things don't go according to plan. It would seem the very public bollocking that Rosberg got from his own side was enough to knock him on to the back foot and give Hamilton the confidence that the team were behind him. That's something that I've always felt he needs from a team.

If Rosberg takes the title then hats off to him (providing he would have done it without the double points farce), and just like Keke, it would be a case of consistency rather that wins but you have to play the cards your dealt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom