Grand Prix 2013 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After a drawn-out summer break, where the drivers & their WAGs will have turned themselves orange, Adrian Newey et al will have flouted the factory shutdown rule, and Fernando Alonso will have groomed his frankly excellent beard/moustache combo, Formula 1 returns to the majestic, wonderful, brilliant, exciting, thrilling, fantastic Spa-Francorchamps circuit in Belgium for the Belgian Grand Prix. The longest circuit on the calendar (7.004 km, if you're interested) is packed full of character, from the tight La Source at the beginning of the lap, the (unfortunately) flat-out Eau Rouge, the double-apexed Pouhon corner and the terrifying Blachimont, all set in the middle of the forest with its own micro-climate. There was doubt a couple of years ago about the race's place on the calendar, but thankfully these have been resolved and the Belgian GP is guaranteed a spot on the calendar until at least 2015. We should hope that the teams pressure Bernie into keeping the race on the calendar, as this is a circuit that always produces a good/controversial/exciting race.
More than any other race, the Belgian Grand Prix has been hugely affected by the weather (the circuit can even be wet at one end and dry at the other), most memorably during the chaotic 1998 race where Jordan got their first (and only) 1-2, or the last-lap deluge in 2008 which featured the memorable battle between Hamilton and Raikkonen, and that stewards decision (but please try and refrain from arguing about it - the horse has been well and truly flogged).
Set-up wise, Spa is traditionally a lower-downforce circuit, although Red Bull have used a higher-downforce approach to be fast in sector 2; this has paid dividends - Vettel won here in 2011. Of course, with such a temperamental climate, any whiff of rain on race day will make the race a lottery. With the Lotii, Mercs and Red Bulls seemingly looking fast, they are the cars who you would bet your Brogans (courtesy of cider_and_toast ), for the race and with the Fewwwawi's (courtesy of Jonathan Ross) going backwards. But anything can happen in Formula 1, and it usually does.

In terms of the championship, Vettel is winning, but with the consistent Lotus Raikkonen and the seemingly tyre-issue free Mercedes, we could be in for an exciting race & exciting end to the season (well, apart from in Korea & India ;))

Spa and Monza are the last two legs of the European season, before a series of flyaway races that make up the final leg of the 2013 season and, as we saw last year, every point counts!!!

So.... Ready, Steady, Discuss!!

Last edited:
Sorry, but Kewee's views are as valid as the next man's!

It is the nature of F1 racing that some succeed in any given situation and others don't - how we can berate one forum member for being defensive and not another is, quite frankly, beyond me.

No need for you to feel tired GermanF1, your being selective when reading my postings. Yes I'm a Ferrari / Alonso fan but most on this site know I'm also a Button fan and have become a Hamilton fan this year. I've already stated I want to see this season become a title fight between Red Bull, Ferrari, and Mercedes. If McLaren came into the frame, even better, though thats unlikely. You must have missed that. :whistle:

Kewee
Obviously at the very moment when Q3 started, everybody had the opportunity to develop a tactic similar to the Red Bull/LH tactic. No one else did, so they didn't succeed.
I'm not meaning to aggravate you but are you seriously suggesting Red Bull/LH had some mystical knowledge that it was going to stop raining and leave them with a near dry track for one lap. ROFL You can't accurately forecast the weather at Spa. I live in a similar climate, leave home in the sunshine and drive into a rainstorm two k's down the road.

James Allen reporting that Vettel and Webber only have one new set of inters, Hamilton and Rosberg have two. Could be an interesting wild card.

Just to say that I am looking forward to the race and don't really care who wins - it will be the right guy on the right day; given all extraneous circumstance, and may well bugger my FF1 team (or not!).

For me, the essence is in the racing and the driver/team who make the best of a 'funny' situation. Yes, I have my favourites and have my fingers crossed for them, but am not about to 'go into meltdown' 'cos they was robbed!

That's one way to watch a sporting event. I don't begrudge anyone who becomes emotionally invested in a certain team or driver. Let's face it, sports are a way to escape from some of the monotony of everyday life. Fully supporting one team or driver will undoubtedly lead to some low times, but it makes the highs that much higher.

That's one way to watch a sporting event. I don't begrudge anyone who becomes emotionally invested in a certain team or driver. Let's face it, sports are a way to escape from some of the monotony of everyday life. Fully supporting one team or driver will undoubtedly lead to some low times, but it makes the highs that much higher.
See, even different attitudes garner different reactions!

Will they allow the start to go ahead? Greenpeace tend to be peaceful but high profile but still an issue, imagine the chaos if this was Bahrain

Back
Top Bottom