Grand Prix 2013 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After a drawn-out summer break, where the drivers & their WAGs will have turned themselves orange, Adrian Newey et al will have flouted the factory shutdown rule, and Fernando Alonso will have groomed his frankly excellent beard/moustache combo, Formula 1 returns to the majestic, wonderful, brilliant, exciting, thrilling, fantastic Spa-Francorchamps circuit in Belgium for the Belgian Grand Prix. The longest circuit on the calendar (7.004 km, if you're interested) is packed full of character, from the tight La Source at the beginning of the lap, the (unfortunately) flat-out Eau Rouge, the double-apexed Pouhon corner and the terrifying Blachimont, all set in the middle of the forest with its own micro-climate. There was doubt a couple of years ago about the race's place on the calendar, but thankfully these have been resolved and the Belgian GP is guaranteed a spot on the calendar until at least 2015. We should hope that the teams pressure Bernie into keeping the race on the calendar, as this is a circuit that always produces a good/controversial/exciting race.
More than any other race, the Belgian Grand Prix has been hugely affected by the weather (the circuit can even be wet at one end and dry at the other), most memorably during the chaotic 1998 race where Jordan got their first (and only) 1-2, or the last-lap deluge in 2008 which featured the memorable battle between Hamilton and Raikkonen, and that stewards decision (but please try and refrain from arguing about it - the horse has been well and truly flogged).
Set-up wise, Spa is traditionally a lower-downforce circuit, although Red Bull have used a higher-downforce approach to be fast in sector 2; this has paid dividends - Vettel won here in 2011. Of course, with such a temperamental climate, any whiff of rain on race day will make the race a lottery. With the Lotii, Mercs and Red Bulls seemingly looking fast, they are the cars who you would bet your Brogans (courtesy of cider_and_toast ), for the race and with the Fewwwawi's (courtesy of Jonathan Ross) going backwards. But anything can happen in Formula 1, and it usually does.

In terms of the championship, Vettel is winning, but with the consistent Lotus Raikkonen and the seemingly tyre-issue free Mercedes, we could be in for an exciting race & exciting end to the season (well, apart from in Korea & India ;))

Spa and Monza are the last two legs of the European season, before a series of flyaway races that make up the final leg of the 2013 season and, as we saw last year, every point counts!!!

So.... Ready, Steady, Discuss!!

Last edited:
Hamberg ..... Sadly for sure. Hard to say whether you can blame Ferrari for their result, I think they just got unlucky with track position when conditions improved. They deserved better I thought, but if conditions are unpredictable in the race anything can happen.

I just finished watching qualifying, and as to be imagined, just over the moon, after such an exciting session. Hamilton seems to handle variable conditions very well, and comletely suprised me by taking pole position, after being down in the first sector, during the last lap in his final run during Q3......:1st:

Hamilton's radio squeak at the end of the pole lap reminded me of Alonso in 2010. Great things await. Just hope they don't throw it away in Abu Dhabi.

Re-tomorrow. Lets hope Webber doesn't get a shit start and give Vettel some competition.

Last edited:
Great Qualifying session and to be honest a very lucky pole for Lewis, last to see the chequered flag and caught the track at it's best in Q3

Last edited:
One of the funniest things from Qually for me was trying to listen to Ben Edwards and David Couthard keep up with what was going on and who they thought was going to take the pole. As soon as they'd finish explaining why they thought so and so would be well placed and have a good lap, that person was knocked into the bottom 6 and they'd have to change tack. Very funny.

Also it sounded very much like Hamilton, his mechanic or both said the F word live on air from the team radio.

Great session though, Relied on some luck, some gambles and some good team work. Great to see the two Marussias and VDG do well.

That was the best qualy session in ages. A huge well done to Van De Garde, Bianchi & Chilton, and the last minute of the top 10 shoot out was awesome. A surefire pole for Di Resta, then it looked like Nico had it, but the track dried so quickly at the top of the hill that Lewis went from looking at 9th/10th on the grid to pole in the last few seconds.

Similar conditions tomorrow would be great.

Random and slightly off topic but if you saw Ted's qually notebook, you would have seen in the paddock, "l'arbre qui tue" or "the tree that kills." It used to be part of the circuit and it was where Richard (Dick) Seamen crashed his Mercedes during a wet race in 1939 while leading. On his death bed he told the Mercedes chief engineer, "I was going too fast for the conditions - it was entirely my own fault. I am sorry." He died age 26 on 25th June 1939, 73 years and two months ago to the day, of the burns he sustained as his car caught fire almost instantly with him trapped inside, unconscious. It was thought that he went through the corner using a line that was usually only used in the dry.
Despite being a Brit, he also won the 1938 German Grand Prix, he became a favourite driver of Hitler after doing the Nazi salute on the podium.
So there's a random early morning history lesson, slightly depressing start to the day.

Last edited:
Surprises me how many felt that was a great qualifying session. I thought it was terrible. It had nothing to do with form or effort being rewarded for working to develop the best set-up. Mercedes have been off the pace during all the practice sessions and also during Q1 and Q2 then got lucky with timing their run as the track was drying. Watch them go backwards during the race. :disappointed:

The Ferrari fan didn't like that one? shocker.

This session was about drivers testing conditions, adapting and planning it just right to be in the right place at the right time. Not to mention the fact that the cars don't run on rails so even with all those factors correct a driver was still going in to parts of the track with no knowledge or reference point as to how things were going to behave and having to produce times. It takes a lot of guts and skill. It would have been rudiculously easy to have had all the tactical stuff right and messed it up by missing braking points etc on unfamilar behaving parts of the track.....and quite a few did.

Pretend to yourself it was very little effort if you like but the reason people loved that session is that we saw 22 drivers have to be at the top of their game as well as teams having to adapt their set ups and tactics to whats going on around them.

RasputinLives ...... My comment had nothing to do with me being a Ferrari fan. You should know me better than that Rasputin. What you said in your reply was very true in every sense, but left out the largest contributing factor, luck. I would have been very happy to see Lewis on pole had Mercedes been performing as they did in Hungary. The session was about weather and timing, nothing more, it certainly had nothing to do with testing the conditions, unless of course you consider there were eight drivers in front of Alonso who have superior skills to him in difficult conditions. You can believe that if you wish, though many would consider that laughable.

Last edited:
I can remember in Q1 (I think it was?) when Hamilton posted a time a full 1.3 seconds ahead of the next driver. The BBC commentator said that the times will tumble now. They didn't actually - not for a few minutes or so. I remember thinking the time 'Lewis is in a class of his own in these conditions'. There was luck but I do think that given the conditions he really was the best driver.

Kewee
What's not laughable though, is that in yesterday's conditions, there were there were eight drivers in front of Alonso who have had superior skill to him. Skills in this context also include timing, adaptability, etc. Everyone (incl. Alonso) had the chance to do what the Red Bulls and Lewis have done. They didn't do it. So they got punished for it.

Back
Top Bottom