Pre-Season 2012 Testing: Barcelona

One of the themes I foresee in this season is extremely exciting qualifying sessions again. It looks like the gap between the midfield and the top teams is far closer, so that could mean that some of the top drivers get caught out, cough - Massa - cough.

Q2 will really be interesting this year.

I think the current order is

1 Red-Bull
2 McLaren

Closer than last year but Red-Bull still clearly ahead.

Then in 3rd, 4th and 5th Ferrari, Mercedes and Lotus but no idea what order. If I had to guess I would say at least initially

3rd Lotus
4th Ferrari
5th Mercedes

I'm talking about over a whole grand prix weekend here not just 1 lap pace, which is why Lotus make it to 3rd for me - better tyre management.

Lotus did start ahead of Mercedes last year too.

I wouldn't be shocked if Ferrari were behind 1 of those 2. I think they've done what Mclaren do most years. Trying to be too different, too aggressive.

Thanks for posting the full lap counts downforce. I'm delighted to see Mclaren have got so many laps in, particularly Lewis. Seems they have learnt from past mistakes. I think if Mclaren can give Lewis a car that is in touching distance of Red Bull, I reckon Lewis can do the rest. We're putting a pin in last year. It didn't count. It wasn't the real Lewis. This year we will see the return of the real Lewis.

Thanks for all the testing updates guys, I haven't had a lot of free time lately so I've been dipping in and out of the threads.

Now it's time to start working on my FF1 entry ;)

I think it has strangely gone unnoticed by the media today as I've heard very little on it, but I've now been shown pictures of a new exhaust / side pod layout that McLaren used today for the first time. It's strange because Button said yesterday that the car he drove was the AUS package apart from 1 or 2 "very small bits" - I think it was telling a bit of a fib lol. The new exhaust layout, whilst the same in philosophy sees the side pod look quite different and it looks like they've changed the sculpting of it significantly even towards the end of the engine cover.

http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2011/dms1204ma170.jpg

http://twitpic.com/8s0lov/full

http://twitpic.com/8s16bb

They're obviously trying to get a more influential effect from the "down wash" over the sidepods. Looks like it's also being redirected more strictly to the back of the car, rather than out towards the tyres. Maybe this is also a result of them burning the inside of their rear tyres a bit.

Thought I'd just uploaded the graph I made comparing Mclaren's race simulation today to Ferrari's on Friday. Though I think the 2 sets of data are hard to compare, I just used Ferrari's to add perspective. The thing I personally pick out is the high tyre degradation in the 2nd stint and the very low one in the 3rd stint. Lewis' laps were actually very consistent in this stint. Any idea what tyres he was on in each stint?

Stint Lengths:
13, 13, 11, 14

Attachments

• Day 4 Barcelona.png
    Day 4 Barcelona.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 107
If you look at the earlier version it seems that the exhaust exit might be a changeable part, which would allow them to try lots of different angles and fine tune to an optimum. Perhaps they have achieved this with what was a part constructed purely for a testing function and the new version we are seeing is the end product. This would be very encouraging because it would mean that they are perfectly happy with what they have developed and the performance they are extracting from it.

.... Any idea what tyres he was on in each stint?....

Anyone got any idea how old/new the tyres were before being used in the race simulation? I think that Autosport said that on one of their race simulations they started each stint with used ones.

Anyone got any idea how old/new the tyres were before being used in the race simulation? I think that Autosport said that on one of their race simulations they started each stint with used ones.

Hopefully that's the reason for the high drop off in stint 1 and 2, as 3 and 4 was extremely consistent. Never thought about the fact they might not have fresh tyres for their race simulation.

Each team only had 25 sets of tyres for the whole of testing, and I'm sure that has to last for the in season test as well and given how quickly the pirellis go off and how much mileage everyone was putting in I'm surprised they had enough to last.

HRT could have probably made a bit of cash selling their tyres to the other teams seeing as it was obvious they werent going to test.

25 sets can not be right surely? 1,000 laps on 25 sets is 40 laps a set and last time I checked Bridgestone were not back in F1.

Possibly 25 sets per tyre type?

Each team can use a maximum of 100 sets of tyres for testing throughout the year and they each choose how many of each compound they want. So we won't know how many sets they used in Barcelona as some teams would have used more than others.

question:
who honenstly believes that red bull without a doubt is not on top this year? i know its near impossible to tell but i do think mclaren have got them this year

In order to beat Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel a team would need to produce a significantly quicker car. They work better as a racing unit/team than any other, are focused on their lead driver and are exceedingly good at diverting attention away from their real innovations.

Q2 will really be interesting this year.
With the Caterhams properly in play, Q1 is going to be a lot better too! The HRTs, the Maroussias and three others... It might even force everyone to use option tyres but that might not be so good come Q3 :(

In order to beat Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel a team would need to produce a significantly quicker car. They work better as a racing unit/team than any other, are focused on their lead driver and are exceedingly good at diverting attention away from their real innovations.

I don't agree with this, but I guess it is down to the people on my side to prove this isn't true. Vettel and Red Bull had a significantly faster car in 2010, yet were beaten by Hamilton in the first half of the season and Alonso in the second half. Can we really base everything on one season, even if it was unbelievably dominant, and if we can base it on one season, are we allowed to pick the season? cos I'll take Hamilton in 2007, 08 , 09 or first half of 2010.

question:
who honenstly believes that red bull without a doubt is not on top this year? i know its near impossible to tell but i do think mclaren have got them this year

I think the drivers will be so important this year. If no one can win pole outright consistently, then we should be on for a classic season.

Back
Top Bottom