FIA 2012 Technical & Sporting Regulation Changes

I really don't understand the reasoning behind this. If you're out, your race is over. This is just stupid imo...

Well, given the current rules, where after a restart, the second part of the race is essentially a "New" race - a car that is, say 15 laps behind, is able to win the race! (Or have I misunderstood that rule?) - this rule just equalises things between teams that managed to get their car back in the race before the stoppage and those that don't!

Hmm, interesting points. I suspect some clarification may be necessary with regard to cars that are in the pits for running repairs (e.g. to replace a front wing, etc) but not in the garage. Unless the rules specifically state that the restart is "a new race" then "the position that they were in" would surely include the laps run and any deficit in that regard. I wonder if the FIA will take another look at this after consulting Clip, since it seems to be only here that really intelligent questions such as those in the preceding posts get asked!

I meant have them move over while they are all still stacked up behind the safety car, instead olf them overtaking the safety car and waiting while they catch the lap up. :)

They can all restart in race order and it would save all the time they spend cruising round to join the back of the pack.

Ah, my mistake, I thought you meant you preferred the current system.

I agree that would be a lot quicker and make more sense, hence why the FIA haven't implemented it; they're not exactly known for sensible rules.

I don't think this would be a better way of doing it as the lapped cars would have to drop back and slot in behind the leaders meaning they would have to know exactly where they are compared to other lapped cars even when there are leading cars between them, also the drivers would have to allow gaps for cars to slot in behind and in front of them and it would get extremely confusing for the drivers and the stewards.

No it is far easier to allow the cars to unlap themselves and join the back of the snake in race order...

Well, given the current rules, where after a restart, the second part of the race is essentially a "New" race - a car that is, say 15 laps behind, is able to win the race! (Or have I misunderstood that rule?) - this rule just equalises things between teams that managed to get their car back in the race before the stoppage and those that don't!

I would imagine that they would join in the order they are when the race is restarted and not where they were when they crashed out as that would be blatantly unfair for instance in the Hamilton canada thing, Hamilton's wouldn't have been recovered to the pits for the team to work on it if hadn't been for a 2 hour red flag.

Your right the rule is bloody stupid in the extreme, as was (in my opinion) allowing teams to change tyres and repair cars (Hamilton's) on the grid under a red flag at Monaco,,, It ruined the end of the race for me.....

These types of rules aren't put there for the purists they are introduced for the casual viewer to try to keep them interested...

I don't think this would be a better way of doing it as the lapped cars would have to drop back and slot in behind the leaders meaning they would have to know exactly where they are compared to other lapped cars even when there are leading cars between them, also the drivers would have to allow gaps for cars to slot in behind and in front of them and it would get extremely confusing for the drivers and the stewards.

No it is far easier to allow the cars to unlap themselves and join the back of the snake in race order...

I don't really see it as that complicated. For example, when they are coming onto a straight either the cars that are a lap down all move to the left while those on the lead lap go past, or the lapped cars go through the pitlane and wait at the exit until the train is past. Would you really rather wait 5 minutes and lose a couple of racing laps while everyone catches back up?

I don't really see it as that complicated. For example, when they are coming onto a straight either the cars that are a lap down all move to the left while those on the lead lap go past, or the lapped cars go through the pitlane and wait at the exit until the train is past. Would you really rather wait 5 minutes and lose a couple of racing laps while everyone catches back up?

I like the pit lane idea I didn't think of that that is very workable and preferable,, cheers

...unless I remember incorrectly Vettel only managed to overtake Hamilton because Kubica was unlapping himself on Hamilton, was incredibely slow about it and caused Hamilton to lose his much-needed 5th place. But there are positives to unlapping which Brogan and others have stated, so I guess I'm neither here nor there about it.

But that wasn't under safety car. Surely, if the race is stopped and you have been lapped multiple times, you do not get the opportunity to race on equal terms with your opponents who've done more laps than you. That can't be the rule, surely!

But that wasn't under safety car. Surely, if the race is stopped and you have been lapped multiple times, you do not get the opportunity to race on equal terms with your opponents who've done more laps than you. That can't be the rule, surely!

Does the rule still stand that you have to be on the lead lap to score points?

Unless they are bringing back the aggregate rule.

For the backmarkers unlapping themselves, will they be let free a lap before the restart or will we have to wait half the race for them to bunch up?

Does the rule still stand that you have to be on the lead lap to score points?

Was it ever a rule?

In true FIA style, the 'lapped cars unlapping themselves under the safety car' rule is a new triumph for clear wording.

My favourite bit, via Autoport:

This will only apply to cars that were lapped at the time they crossed the Line at the end of the lap during which they crossed the first Safety Car line for the second time after the safety car was deployed.

On this onboard lap of Maldonado at 0:23 he only has his left hand on the wheel yet somehow shifts up to 6th gear. It almost seems like he has an automatic gearbox, though as you can see from the comments it's believed that the Williams' shifter is just one long element so he pushes the left side to shift up.

Fantastic news that they are going allow lapped cars to unlap themselves during safety car periods. The amount of racing lost due to that rule over the last few years; i'm relieved the FIA were aware of fans disappointment of it and have reacted to that.

In true FIA style, the 'lapped cars unlapping themselves under the safety car' rule is a new triumph for clear wording.

My favourite bit, via Autoport:
This will only apply to cars that were lapped at the time they crossed the Line at the end of the lap during which they crossed the first Safety Car line for the second time after the safety car was deployed.

That is the stupidest thing i've ever read. It is like someone wrote it for a bet of some kind.

Back
Top Bottom