2012 Season Preview

If the Turkish GP is cancelled then they'll be a months break between the South Korean GP and the Spanish GP. But do you think the Calendar would be changed between the two races?

If the Turkish GP is cancelled then they'll be a months break between the South Korean GP and the Spanish GP. But do you think the Calendar would be changed between the two races?

The calender isn't confirmed I don't think, they usually confirm it by October to December, and I think they will probably make it a 3 week break due to the European season getting underway no?

I never understood why they call it the European season when Canada and now USA is in the middle of it.
They really need to sort the season out so it moves more organically across the globe. Starting in Austrailia, moving onto the far eastern countries, coming across to the Arabian GP's then to Turkey and the rest of Europe before finally finishing the season in the America's. Makes more sense logistically than the constant backwards and forward jet-hopping across the globe.

I never understood why they call it the European season when Canada and now USA is in the middle of it.
They really need to sort the season out so it moves more organically across the globe. Starting in Austrailia, moving onto the far eastern countries, coming across to the Arabian GP's then to Turkey and the rest of Europe before finally finishing the season in the America's. Makes more sense logistically than the constant backwards and forward jet-hopping across the globe.

Good luck with running a race at Montreal in November. If you think the front wings look like snowploughs now, you just wait...:D

Good luck with running a race at Montreal in November. If you think the front wings look like snowploughs now, you just wait...:D

That does make a lot of sense why they do it this way! Which is the new circuit that is been built with a heated surface?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92052 FIA president Jean Todt says there is "absolutely" no way the 2012 season will have 21 races, despite the provisional calendar published by the governing body.
"Absolutely not," Todt told Diario Sport in an interview when asked if there would be 21 races in 2012.
"There are 21 dates, but the championship will be 20 grands prix."
The ruling body's World Motor Sport Council revealed a calendar with 21 events last week, but the Turkish Grand Prix appeared with an asterisk and a "subject to confirmation" note.
Despite that, Todt admitted it was still not clear which event would be dropped from the calendar.
"We don't know which one will go, but the championship will be 20 races," he added.

whats the deal with germany? Are they every 2nd year changing between the nurburgring and hockenheimring?

why are a lot of people against smaller engines? As long as they sound like they do currently, no complaint.

Despite that, Todt admitted it was still not clear which event would be dropped from the calendar.
"We don't know which one will go, but the championship will be 20 races," he added.
Bahrain perhaps?

I wonder if they will bring back a South African Grand Prix again.......for me the more GP's the better, I am sure the drivers feel the same.

whats the deal with germany? Are they every 2nd year changing between the nurburgring and hockenheimring?

why are a lot of people against smaller engines? As long as they sound like they do currently, no complaint.

Yes, they alternate every year, since Nurburgring isn't the "European GP" no more, also Japan did this recently switching from Suzuka to Fuji, or where meant to do it.

Valencia and Catalunya should do this as I have already said :whistle:

Although I am in favour, I think the complaints are firstly, that in fact the engines will not sound like the currently do, and that the capacity of 1600cc is smaller than a lot of standard road car models, and that somehow this is not in keeping with the high-performance principle of F1.

Of course, it's not how many litres you've got, but what you do with them that counts.

21 is too many. I would eliminate Abu Dhabi and Bahrain (citing regional instability), and Turkey. I would alternate Malayasia and Singapore. I would cluster Korea, China and Japan together. I would replace Valencia with a race in France. I would group Canada with the U.S. and Australia with Brazil. That would take the number down to 17 and the groupings would make travel more logical and easier on the teams.

As it stands, imagine the stress on the teams with the new rules for 2013 requiring the total replacement of current equipment and still having to take part in 20+ races!

Although I am in favour, I think the complaints are firstly, that in fact the engines will not sound like the currently do, and that the capacity of 1600cc is smaller than a lot of standard road car models, and that somehow this is not in keeping with the high-performance principle of F1.

Of course, it's not how many litres you've got, but what you do with them that counts.
It does bother me that an F1 car will have fewer cc's than my motorcycle. Always thought a line should be drawn under that one.

It does bother me that an F1 car will have fewer cc's than my motorcycle. Always thought a line should be drawn under that one.

I really blame it on the 'green peace' people, it is a performance sport and really I doubt the odd race is really that damaging to the environment........there are other areas to fix the problem.....F1 is not really the "point finger" culprit.......seriously I shudder at the thought of 4 cylinder turbo's.............can you spell Machanical failures

The cars will still be fast, and in some situations maybe faster. Isn't that what it boils down to? Lots of features of racing engines have been discarded over the years as new technology has taken their place - F1 would still be running 1500cc turbos today if it wasn't for the artificial ban imposed in 1989.

The cars will still be fast, and in some situations maybe faster. Isn't that what it boils down to? Lots of features of racing engines have been discarded over the years as new technology has taken their place - F1 would still be running 1500cc turbos today if it wasn't for the artificial ban imposed in 1989.

I understand that, but to me Turbo's seem so anti formula 1. I think to many rule changes are happening.........perhaps racing will be on the agenda sometime soon.

Back
Top Bottom