Grand Prix 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Someone other than Vettel is leading the Championship!

It may be strange to see, but for the first time since Abu Dhabi 2010 someone other than Sebastian Vettel is top of the Championship after Jenson Button won the Australian Grand Prix in commanding fashion with Vettel second and a folorn Hamilton falling foul of a safety car which allowed the German through.

Going into Malaysia it seems apparent that Mclaren have the strongest car as they were far and away the strongest team in Australia and it was only after having to fuel save for 90% of the race that let Red Bull get within distance, when Button and Hamilton were at full throttle for the first 8 laps, they pulled away at over a second a lap which provided a comfortable cushion even though it was wiped out by a safety car due to Vitaly Petrov breaking down on the main straight.

But the Australian Grand Prix raised more questions than it did provide answers, the only thing that we learned was that the not quite so new teams are still as bad as they were last season and Mclaren and Red Bull are the two fastest teams. Ferrari had a shocking qualifying but Fernando Alonso managed to drag it kicking and screaming into 5th place which suggests a better race pace compared to qualifying pace while beleaguered Felipe Massa trundled around in midfield like he was on a Sunday drive in the Australian parks.

lotus are the only team where a question mark still remains about the general competitiveness. Roman Grosjean qualified a remarkable third but was taken out early on by Maldando while returning champion Kimi Raikkonnen failed to get out of first qualifying but managed to fight through the field to finish a very strong seventh which suggests that they do have a strong car but need to ally qualifying with race pace if they are to take the fight to the top teams.

In 2011 Malaysia was a race full of pit stops due to the high degradation of the Pirelli tyres, and while the tyres this year are more conservative and stable, high degradation is still to be expecting and several pit stops are going to be the norm with an unpredictable weekend to come. The only thing to expect is the likelihood of a massive shower at some point during the weekend which would no doubt spice things up.

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/sepang-international-circuit/

Sauber are only 10-20 points away from what they scored in the whole of last season and thats after 2 races. I think Sauber could be a team to watch, especially if young Perez continues with the team for the rest of the season.

Sauber are an independent team, albeit with technical links to Ferrari. I'm sure they are grateful for the support Ferrari gives them but to think Perez getting it wrong into a corner was some sort of "agreement" between the two teams is farcical. Perez made a mistake which cost him the win, simple as that. I think the message the team gave him was more of a "don't cock it up and lose 2nd you plank" rather than a "don't beat the Ferrari as we will lose our engine deal" instruction.

Sauber are an independent team, albeit with technical links to Ferrari. I'm sure they are grateful for the support Ferrari gives them but to think Perez getting it wrong into a corner was some sort of "agreement" between the two teams is farcical. Perez made a mistake which cost him the win, simple as that. I think the message the team gave him was more of a "don't cock it up and lose 2nd you plank" rather than a "don't beat the Ferrari as we will lose our engine deal" instruction.

Agree with this!

I didn't say anything about Perez's mistake. That was long after he was called off. Peter Sauber showed a bit of business nouse today which will benefit the team's future relationship with Ferrari (a very valuable relationship) and will also go a long way to helping Perez along with his career. Fernando would be pretty cheesed if the guy in the other Ferrari at the next race was the same guy that beat him to the win in the previous race in a Sauber. This, to me, makes a great deal of sense.

I would imagine there will be a lot of money coming Sauber's way when Ferrari poach thier driver along with all of his sponsorship, too.

Pérez was massively faster than Alonso and suddenly there's an odd team radio message and the next thing we know he's gone very wide at a part of the track where there is a huge run off.

Convenient to say the very least.

If Perez was told to hold back, why did he close in on Alonso after the mistake he made?

He fell back around 7/8 secs at that point and near the end he clawed his way back and got within 3 seconds of Alonso. He gave it hell to leather in the last few laps setting fastest sector times lap after lap. That doesn't look like a driver who was holding back, rather the opposite. I understand why some are suspicious but the way i see it is experience prevailed over inexperience.

DRS didn't look too effective when Perez was in the zone as Alonso's use of KERS negated that advantage. I'd say it was wise of Sauber to make that radio call but the timing of the message could have been better

Overall, a great drive from both drivers and to finish ahead both Mclaren's which were clearly the fastest cars out there made it even the more impressive.

In what way?

He got the best result he could.
He can hardly be blamed for the pit stop issues which dropped him behind a few drivers he had been beating, nor be expected to beat two cars which on the day were massively faster than anyone else.
He just doesn't look like he is driving with any enthusiasm almost like his spark has gone out. I hope that is not the case...

and to finish ahead both Mclaren's which were clearly the fastest cars out there made it even the more impressive.
Not in the conditions they weren't at that stage of the race, as we quite clearly saw.

The Sauber of Pérez was the fastest car, followed by Alonso's Ferrari.

I'll do a lap chart of the top three in a moment.

Click to zoom to full size.

2012-malaysian-gp-lap-times-alonso-perez-hamilton.png

Why wouldn't he? His natural speed was quicker than Alonso's. Nobody asked him to pootle.

I was keeping a close eye on live timing and Perez was flying near the end setting purple sectors nearly every lap. If he was told to maintain position he wouldn't be risking crashing out by setting fastest sector times time after time

Were they? Are you basing this on thier dry qualifying pace?

I believe they were pretty quick in the dry and wet. They were 1/2 for 8 laps in damp conditions after all

Back
Top Bottom