• Vitantonio Luizzi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Timo Glock

• Jerome d'Ambrosio

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just looking at the lap chart, I struggle to see at what point Vettel was 12th. And I believe he was behind Webber and Alonso after the Safety Car.

From my recollection Vettel came out in 12th after his first pitstopped which was a long time before everybody else's. IMO going to watch the race this evening as there is so much to take in trackside, but we were all very surprised when we saw him peel into the pits so early. It looked like his race was stuffed. The safety car got him right back up there. My recollection may fail me but this is how I remember it unfolding.

They pitted 1 lap apart at the end of the race.

Michael was consistently faster lap for lap.

I think it is no coincident that the two drivers of the top teams that made big progress up the field were the two that hadn't burnt a single set of slicks in qualli.

From my recollection Vettel came out in 12th after his first pitstopped which was a long time before everybody else's. IMO going to watch the race this evening as there is so much to take in trackside, but we were all very surprised when we saw him peel into the pits so early. It looked like his race was stuffed. The safety car got him right back up there.

Yes. You probably didn't see it or hear about it but those RB7s had blistered their tyres in Qually and Pirelli couldn't guarantee Red Bull how long those Q3 tyres would last on their cars in the race...

"Half a lap to 5 laps", Pirellis said !!! :o

That's why Webber came in on Lap 3 and Vettel on Lap 5...the earliest of any of the non-damaged runners.

That's why what Vettel did was so impressive.

The Safety Car actually didn't "get him right up there" from "12th"...He over-took a number of drivers after his Lap 5 stop - notably Rosberg for 2nd on the outside of Blanchimont! - and actually re-took the lead once Alonso had made his scheduled stop...built up a 6 second lead...and lost it due to the SC. He pitted without hesitation and re-joined in 3rd behind Webber and Alonso, both of whom he over-took to lead again!

Hope that helps, Rasputin! :)

Had Hamilton or Button did exactly what Vettel did under those circumstances, they'd be hailed to no tomorrow...But Vettel's German and when he wins it's only because of "the car"!

Extract your tongue from Vettel's derrier. Yes he drove well but Webber was on the hard tyres and Alonso had already endured a long stint on the softs, they were easy meat for a driver in the best car on fresh soft tyres. As for "pitting without hesitation" there was anything to lose by pitting at that moment and any other drivers that had the chance did so.

Vettel being German has nothing to do with how well he is percieved to have driven and clearly he can win when he isn't in the best car (Monza 2008) but with the performance advantage that RBR have had over other teams, Webber driving so poorly and rumours of preferental treatment are you surprised that some people may understate Vettel's drives.

Back
Top Bottom