Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
FB said:
Snowy said:
Brogan said:

My advice is never read other forums :)

Sound advice.

Seconded

I recently looked in on the chat rooms of a major national broadcasting corporation and now my eyes are bleeding...

Ah yes, the place that shall not be named. I'm surprised your retinas haven't been burned!

Don't agree with Hamilton getting chump myself, there was a cars width between the car and curb, he didn't throw it up the inside in a kamikaze move; it was just a completely blameless incident and the reality is that 9 times out of 10 you would go into that position and nothing would happen (and considering the whack Alonso got at Spa and kept going, it is bloody unlucky to get a tap at 50mph and be out of the race).

I voted Sutil, he had a good engine, a slippery car and the opportunity to score decent points and it never looked likely at any point all weekend.

I've gone for Hamilton on this as well, he could have finished 3rd/4th and still had the lead in the title race, especially as those who were ahead were quite a distance back in the WDC. A sensible finish could have consolidated top spot in the championship for him, however he has made it interesting for us all!!

Obviously there is no knowing now just how effective the McLaren was without the F-duct, but it would have been interesting to see. I think he had the chance to catch the Ferrari's if he'd not seen the red mist.

[at most people] Why are you voting for Lewis?

Get real. Making a mistake does not make you a chump. Ruining your own day does not make you a chump. He made one tiny mistake and took himself out. He didn't harm anyone else's race, and it was one misjudged move that was unfortunate for him. He may well feel stupid, and should, but he is not the chump.

There was one clear winner this weekend, and he spent a lot of the race in front of Webber, there's your top chump.

Those that Voted Lewis deserve a chump badge of their own. No wonder we ended up with a coalition government

Grizzly said:
[at most people] Why are you voting for Lewis?

Get real. Making a mistake does not make you a chump. Ruining your own day does not make you a chump. He made one tiny mistake and took himself out. He didn't harm anyone else's race, and it was one misjudged move that was unfortunate for him. He may well feel stupid, and should, but he is not the chump.

Sorry? Making a mistake does not make you a chump? Then can you please inform me what does make a chump? Because every chump thus far has been voted as such because he made a mistake.

What I don't believe should ever make a Chump is an infraction of the rules for which you are not punished half way through your best race of the season.

Grizzly said:
Those that Voted Lewis deserve a chump badge of their own. No wonder we ended up with a coalition government

I don't think we come to this forum to be derided as chumps.

Chump and Driver of the Weekend are very subjective and personal.
There is no right or wrong answer, as we have seen on the previous threads.

As such, everyone is entitled to their opinion and it is equally as valid, or not, as the case may be.

right TBY get'ere
fencing.gif

I just think what Lewis did was get himself in trouble via a little racing incident, everybody has them. If there were ever so slightly different circumstances we would have been praising his 'brave move' down the inside to take 3rd or 2nd place. As it happened he clipped the car in front with minimal force damaging a steering component. Well consider the (possibly) superior strength of the Ferrari... if that move were the other way round and it had not damaged the steering on the Ferrari of Massa allowing him to continue, would we be looking at a Ferrari chump of the weekend? I think not. The reason is because it ended his race.

The touch, as far as i could see was quite likely less violent than the shove Alonso gave Button to damage his diffuser and rear wing. Alonso carried on and is receiving votes for Driver of the Weekend?

Just for S&Gs lets also throw in Barrichello from last weekend? how many votes did he receive for his 300th GP effort on Alonso?

Barrichello was in the wet, so I feel that is a mitigation. And anyway, Barrichello's chumpery was buried underneath an even greater chump effort.

It is not always easy to compare because there are different situations and CotW is a first-past-the-post system.

Yes, it was a racing incident, and yes, all drivers get them; I feel it stemmed, however, from ill-placed frustration at being behind his team-mate that can be a weakness.

As Brogan said, it is totally subjective, but we all follow our own criteria and on the Teabag Yokel Criteria For Formula One Chumpery Scale, Lewis comes out on top this week. This is not to say I don't think he's the fastest driver on the grid.

Compared to some of the chumpery we have seen this season Hamiltons little error pales in comparison, he was unlucky enough to make this error during a race where there were so few others made by drivers.

I agree with TBY and F1yorkshire, In that Hamilton's crash was simply in a race where nothing else happened. The reason I voted for him was it seemed like it was A) a desperate lunge or B) a rookie error. Either way not good for a former world champ. Even worse for him, Vettel decided to keep his nose clean this time!

Hulkenberg simply couldnt keep his car on the road, a rookie feeling the pressure? Probably. Excusable, in my opinion definitely. Thats why I didn't vote him.

Alonso could arguably have been voted chump as he did 'ruin' Jenson's race. (The result may still have finished as is, but I'm sure Jenson could have won that race hence I say ruin.) I also voted for Jenson as Driver of the weekend for that reason. Jenson's race was affected and he only lost out on pit strategy. Alonso was clearly quicker, but damaged Button's car.

Simply put, it all comes down to personal perspective and opinion. Mine is that Mclaren drivers won both the Driver and Chump this weekend.

I agree with Grizzly and F1Yorkshire, in that Hamilton's error was relatively minor but had a disastrous result.
The contact with Massa was quite minimal compared to that between Alonso and Button in the same race, and between Barrichello and Alonso at Spa.
Which raises the question in my mind:

Are we to judge chumpery on the driver's actions, or on the outcome of those actions?
And should a driver avoid the tag of 'Chump' if he got away with it, like Alonso did and like Hulkenberg did?

It's a fine line isn't it?

Alonso took a chunk out of Button's car at the first corner, thereby affecting his race; could have taken him out completely, nearly took himself and his teammate out, and went on to win the race and many peoples' votes for DOTW.
Hulkenberg cut the same chicane three times, probably gaining an advantage on at least two of those occasions by not losing a place to Webber but escaping the attention of the stewards (compare that with Spa 2008 when a certain driver DID concede his place immediately but was still penalised), and went on to be applauded by some for having the best race of his F1 career.

Chad Stewarthill said:
and went on to be applauded by some for having the best race of his F1 career.

That is only half a compliment because he's not been much cop up to now. But he did OK, he had the pace most of the time and for once beat Barrichello.

teabagyokel said:
[quote:42en0fo2]Chad Stewarthill said:
and went on to be applauded by some for having the best race of his F1 career.
That is only half a compliment because he's not been much cop up to now. But he did OK, he had the pace most of the time and for once beat Barrichello[/quote:42en0fo2]
Don't get me wrong, I like Williams and I like Hulkenberg, and am glad that he and they are improving. In fact, in a post in that other place (which shall not be named), I suggested as part of my rather fanciful ideal team / driver line-up for next season, Hamilton and Hulkenberg both at Williams. And the Hulk did have a good race on Sunday, other than the incidents at the chicane.

I voted for Hulkenberg, reluctantly, because I felt that in a generally chump free race his driving was poorer than those around him. However, relative to the season he wouldn't have had a look-in for his chumpery this weekend.

I do have a lot of sympathy with him and all the rookie drivers this year... the testing ban means they have to learn on the run. The chumpery we see in the rookies would have been hidden during testing days in the past.

I also have to say that I actually thoroughly enjoyed watching him matching Webber in a car that shouldn't be close to the Red Bull (rash, broad statement alert!). I want him and Williams to do well.

The arguements for Lewis are very strong but Lewis just appeared in the wrong frame of mind all weekend. You could say his move was rash / immature / whatever; but it had every chance of sticking and then he'd have been hero of the day. It was a pure racing incident and I'm glad he tried it... anyway, the champiuonship remains open and this must be one of the most closely contested seasons in best part of 10 years. (I'll maybe check the stats later).

For me it has to be Lewis. even a fourth place finish wouldve been better than nothing, and i believe that the mistake may well cost him the championship.

A bit late, been busy.

My vote goes to Hamilton, he was a bit unlucky but was about the only thing that happened in the race.

Think a lot of people beeing a bit harsh though, Don't think he really tried a move up the inside. Everyone trying sort themselves out at the start of the race, Hamilton ended up on the inside Massa braked a bit earlier then him and Massa took the line just where hamilton was. Perhaps hamilton lacking spacial awareness a smidgin, but nothing more then that.

Also was really unlucky considering in the race before Barrichello piledrived into Alonso's backside and Alonso somehow still had all 4 wheels attached and pointing in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom