Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kamui Kobayashi

• Timo Glock

• Lucas di Grassi

• Total voters
Hurts me to say it but it has to be Hamilton.It wasn't a massive mistake but the results of it could be massive. Poor Lewis I bet he's feeling awful tonight.

Hulkenberg and Petrov were very tempting to go for following their lack of respect towards their fellow drivers, Nico for cutting chicanes numerous times and Vitaly for the block on Glock. The young russian was also very disappointing throughout the weekend but there were a few who also fall into this category.

My vote has to go to Hamilton, though, for the simple reason that this mistake - his first major mistake that I can think of this season - may have cost him the 2010 title. This was the one chance where he could have put breathing space between himself and the rest but he didn't take the opportunity and he knows it.

It's Red Bull's/Webber's championship to lose but let's face facts, it has been all season!

chreden said:
Here's a video of the Yamamoto incident. Lollipop was raised, so not Yamamoto's fault.

After seeing this I'm changing my vote. At least Hamilton has admitted his own fault and not blamed anyone else for the crash.

A surprising lack of chumpery on track this weekend. I wasn't tempted for one moment to fall in with the crowd and castigate Lewis for attempting to overtake Felipe and getting his steering arm broken. I won't do that, this is after all, motor racing and "shit happens".

I was tempted to castigate Lewis and the McLaren team for their choice of setup but their is only the evidence of a poor Q3 qualifying performance affected as it was by running in traffic.

Without a clear chump of the weekend, my award has to go to those who are displaying the kind of vitriol and irrational thinking that marked the start of the season in Bahrain. Where the whole world of F1 fell apart and began consuming its own arsehole on the evidence of one race that didn't provide any overtaking.

Oh how we jeered and oh how we cheered the next race when Lewis began carving through the field with precision and aplomb.

It is clear that all that talent and flare is a thing of the past for our poor Lewis. He should be taking it easy, holding back and staying out of trouble and doing all those other irritating but ultimately championship winning activities that we are more used to watching.

Roll on Bahrain 2011 when we can get back to normality and our wonderful procession! :goodday:

Hamilton, he had loads of space on the left to use as he would have known what was coming, it was also the 2nd impact that got him not the first tyre rub with Massa. Okay he may have had to have taken the raised kurb route but he'd only have dropped maybe 1 or 2 places, and with his car he'd of got them back eventually.

Patients

Felipe and Fernando bounced off each other once if not twice, Fernando drove into the back of Jenson and took part of his rear wing off. By your reasoning, surely these incidents should have been avoided also... and are worthy chumpness.

snowy said:
Felipe and Fernando bounced off each other once if not twice, Fernando drove into the back of Jenson and took part of his rear wing off. By your reasoning, surely these incidents should have been avoided also... and are worthy chumpness.

Remember 1 of the Massa Alonso incidents was in the first corner chicane, both going in the same direction the impact similar to Silverstone can be managed to a degree.

Just with Hamilton Massa was only going to go one way in a left hand corner, and Hamilton should have done the same rode the kerb....but we'll never know, think what doesn't help with Lewis is it was turn 3 of lap 1. If you remember last year in the Lesmo turns he went field ploughing with his nose cone but this was the last lap and you respected him going for 3rd in a crap car. Just it's lap 1............

Did anyone watch the F1 Forum afterwards? They were talking about how the Ferrari has always had stronger suspension since the Schumacher wheel to wheel racing days. This seasons Ferrari has taken plenty of impacts in that area and kept going.

F1Yorkshire said:
Did anyone watch the F1 Forum afterwards? They were talking about how the Ferrari has always had stronger suspension since the Schumacher wheel to wheel racing days. This seasons Ferrari has taken plenty of impacts in that area and kept going.
Well proof if it was needed was provided at Spa when Rubens rammed into Alonso's rear wheel and the car seemed to suffer no damage at all.
I was extremely surprised to see that Alonso could continue at all.

snowy said:
Without a clear chump of the weekend, my award has to go to those who are displaying the kind of vitriol and irrational thinking that marked the start of the season in Bahrain.
I don't see any members here being vitriolic :s
Just individual assessments of what was a race ending move, which could have much, much bigger implications.

What has been said about Lewis on this thread is no different to what has been said about other winners of the CotW.

Having just read snowy's comment, I am persuaded to change my vote. Ok, Lewis made a mistake; but it was a racing incident, and he was unfortunate to suffer such a drastic result compared to how Massa and Alonso both got away scot free from their own comings together. And I'm not convinced that Lewis' low downforce strategy was so wrong either; if he had got further in the race, I believe he would have got a podium place at least. So in the end I don't think he was quite as big a chump as he looked.

I am therefore changing my vote to Hulkenberg (along with the stewards - how did they see fit not to even investigate him for cutting the same chicane at least three times?) for persistent gaining of an advantage by making a mistake but not conceding his place to Webber (not that I'm complaining, being a Hamilton fan - and Mark got by in the end anyway).

Chad Stewarthill said:
I am therefore changing my vote to Hulkenberg (along with the stewards - how did they see fit not to even investigate him for cutting the same chicane at least three times?) for persistent gaining of an advantage by making a mistake but not conceding his place to Webber (not that I'm complaining, being a Hamilton fan - and Mark got by in the end anyway).
What's even odder about that is Jaime Alguersuari was given a drive through penalty for cutting the chicane.

Brogan said:
Chad Stewarthill said:
What's even odder about that is Jaime Alguersuari was given a drive through penalty for cutting the chicane.

Could it be because of the new sensors they added to the chicane? The stewards must of looked at the data and determined that Hulkenberg would not have lost his position on the occasions that he cut the chicane but Algersuari gained a significant advantage from it.

It is no longer a clear case of if you cut the chicane it means you have to give up the position. Another point in this is that Webber held back from Hulkenberg as Red Bull expected a penalty to be given, he should of carried on pressing and trying to overtake earlier than he did and then he may of finished higher.

F1Yorkshire said:
It is no longer a clear case of if you cut the chicane it means you have to give up the position.
Yet the rules are quite clear when it comes to the edge of the circuit, delineated by the white lines.

As usual though, inconsistency rules when it comes to stewarding.

Brogan said:
snowy said:
Without a clear chump of the weekend, my award has to go to those who are displaying the kind of vitriol and irrational thinking that marked the start of the season in Bahrain.
I don't see any members here being vitriolic :s
Just individual assessments of what was a race ending move, which could have much, much bigger implications.

What has been said about Lewis on this thread is no different to what has been said about other winners of the CotW.

Apologies to any one here who may have got the impression I was talking about this forum. I have been reading lots of other forums and comments on this incident and cumulatively it reminded me of Bahrain.

snowy said:
I have been reading lots of other forums and comments on this incident and cumulatively it reminded me of Bahrain.
Apologies snowy, I got the wrong end of the stick there.

My advice is never read other forums :D

Brogan said:
My advice is never read other forums :D

There are other motorsport forums? :o

The stewarding decisions did seem to be highly questionable regarding chicane cutting. However, I do believe Webber made a mistake in holding back with the expectation that Hulk would have to give back a place. There are no guarantees in F1, so he should have kept pushing, just not to the point of risking damage to his car.

I too was impressed with the lack of 'full-on' chumpery this weekend; a pleasant change from most races this year.

It's too easy to vote for Lewis when it was a pure racing incident. His honesty was good to hear but probably being overly harsh on himself under the circumstances. He'd made a great charging start and was flying; in that situation I imagine that you're in the mood to go for any opportunity you see... bearing in mind it was still the first lap.

No, unfortunately (as a Williams fan) I have to go for Hulkenberg although it wasn't strictly 'chumpery'. He pushed beyond what should be seen as robust defence / racing and should have been pulled up on it by the stewards. Webber was playing safe which made it look worse than it was but he still cut the chicane too many times... once is a verbal warning; after that and he should have had hgis wrists slapped.

Back
Top Bottom