Schumacher Injured

Since he owns a chalet and was on public land I can't see a liability issue. However the guy is wealthy and well connected, if there was any evidence that was not examined and an issue arose then you would then be the ex-police chief.

It's just due diligence, and, of course, the sodding media creating stories

I don't know how things work in the UK but in New Zealand every injury accident is investigated in detail and if there are any obvious areas safety clothing and equipment can be improved, recommendations are passed on to the manufacturers. In New Zealand cycling helmets are compulsory so hopefully my head is better protected due to thorough investigations by the police and other authorities whenever someone is hurt.

It's possible the off-piste section wasn't clearly marked. It doesn't look terribly obvious from the pictures I've seen. Also they can maybe use this to prevent someone else doing the same thing.

In an earlier post I included a link to a Daily Mail article. One of their images shows that the off-piste area is not restricted or marked in any way. It is clearly a dangerously rock strewn area but the resort's management seem to rely entirely on skiers being sensible. Any understanding of human nature tells you that some people are plainly stupid no matter how well off they may be. At the very least one would expect the inquiry to result in recommendations for resorts to take more responsibility. The photo is here:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/01/04/article-0-1A5E821500000578-615_634x423.jpg

Edit: I am in no way implying the Schumi was being stupid since he had gone into the area to assist a friend who maybe was. As suggested by another poster it may well be that his friend crashed into the area by accident anyway.

Edit 2: Footage from the helmet camera may at least answer the questions with regard to how and why Schumi entered that area.

Last edited:
There does seem to be an element of accusation, i.e he was going too fast, he was off piste etc. so he 'deserved it'. I think that's going a bit far. Frankly a lot of people who go skiiing do pretty silly things and don't always stick to the piste. I saw the Daily Mail pictures too and I can imagine a lot of people ski into that small-ish area accidentally and have a scrape on some of the shallow rocks just popping up from the surface. I'm not an avid skier but from my limited experience there's a lot of areas like this, and much worse, that people choose to ski in. The most we can hope for is that less people suffer accidents like this as a result of Schumi's high profile accident and there's every need to investigate what happened imho. It's very easy and very common to get hurt skiing, but it's so much fun that people are prepared to waive their safety worries!

Last edited:
It's a dangerous sport however accomplished you are and all who undertake it on a regular basis are acquainted with the risks.

All this angst is quite disturbing - I don't like the man but don't wish him ill - and he is only one of many who will be challenged this and every other skiing season.

It is their choice and if they choose to push the boundaries of safety, that is up to them.

It is only his 'celebrity' that is propelling the media storm and associated comment.

Since he owns a chalet and was on public land I can't see a liability issue. However the guy is wealthy and well connected, if there was any evidence that was not examined and an issue arose then you would then be the ex-police chief.

It may have taken place on public land but there is still someone who can be held responsible. It is public land on which the government permits and promotes skiing.
Therefore it is necessary to ensure the riders safety by taking safety measures such as marking the piste correctly and visibly. In certain cases even closing the site if it is deemed to jeopardize the riders safety to extent which is beyond their control.

I have read that the injury Schumacher sustained after a motorcycle accident has left his left part of the brain damaged due to a "weaker" blood supply to the brain. It is most likely to hamper his current recovery as well.

Last edited:
It's a dangerous sport however accomplished you are and all who undertake it on a regular basis are acquainted with the risks.

All this angst is quite disturbing - I don't like the man but don't wish him ill - and he is only one of many who will be challenged this and every other skiing season.

It is their choice and if they choose to push the boundaries of safety, that is up to them.

It is only his 'celebrity' that is propelling the media storm and associated comment.
I have one friend who was in a coma for a month and recovered unaffected, I have another business acquaintance who fell of a ladder and suffered a brain injury. He can no longer run his business or drive a car.
Of course people are feeling pain regarding Schumacher's dreadful accident. None of us can claim to know Schumacher, yet after following his career for such a long time we do feel we know him just a little. You may feel this angst is disturbing, I think it's perfectly normal to have your feelings disturbed whether you know him or not. We don't have to know someone personally to care and if we care we share their pain.

Angst, Noun:

A feeling of anxiety or apprehension often accompanied by depression.

I feel none of these things about the matter I simply wish him well....

In an earlier post I included a link to a Daily Mail article. One of their images shows that the off-piste area is not restricted or marked in any way. It is clearly a dangerously rock strewn area but the resort's management seem to rely entirely on skiers being sensible. Any understanding of human nature tells you that some people are plainly stupid no matter how well off they may be. At the very least one would expect the inquiry to result in recommendations for resorts to take more responsibility. The photo is here:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/01/04/article-0-1A5E821500000578-615_634x423.jpg

I'm considered to be an intermediate skier, and probably by European standards would only be allowed to ski on beginners or bunny rabbit trails.....that being said. I have skied in 4 different states here on the east coast, and not once have I ever seen observable rocks in the middle of a trail at all, or to be used as a seperation for 2 different trails is just unbelievable. On any trail that I have ever been on, all rocks are removed, so that people can't crash into them, because you always have some irresponsable fools around. I was really suprised and schocked to see those pictures of those rocks, and their close poximity to open trails. The Daily Mail's picture clearly show their hazards, and Schumacher's unfortunate fall is the proof.

If the rocks are there for all to see the simple answer is don't go near them sometimes an exposed danger is less dangerous simply because it beggars more caution, the powers that be cannot wrap people up in cotton wool and say don't do this don't do that, that's what parents say to their kids to protect them, when you are an adult you take responsibility for yourself I certainly don't want the state telling me what I can and can't do I'm a free person to do as I please as long it isn't hurting anybody or breaking the law..

Maybe it should be law that people can't do anything or go anywhere unless they are cocooned in a six foot thick lump of polystyrene foam.

Last edited:
Nonsense......circumstances can arise on a ski slope, whereas you can be placed in a difficult situation due to no fault of your own, and if you should fall, avoiding rocks is of little or no concern......remove them.

The injuries that Natasha Richardson had suffered, could hardly have been considered to be slight....if it killed her.

Nobody is talking about legislating anything, but the removal of identifiable hazards, to avoid possible injuries, which Schumacher unfortunately is now suffering.

I said it was the slightest of accidents not the slightest of injuries she herself thought nothing of it which is why she didn't seek medical attention, I wish people would read posts properly before commenting.

When I was a kid I fell off a six foot high wall straight onto my noggin I was knocked out cold for a few minutes woke up got up had a massive swelling on my head and carried on playing I told my mum later but apart from a headache I was fine, you can never tell when you bang your head what the damage will or will not be just like you can't go clearing mountains of lose rocks every day of the week in fact I have been knocked unconscious several times in my life with no ill affect or maybe there has been and I just don't realise it....

The size of those rocks that were shown in the Daily Mail, wouldn't be on or near any trail that I have visited, and where the average skier may venture, but removed.

I think normally the rocks would be covered Lewywo4 but it's early in the season and the snow is still quite shallow. Maybe they should have fenced that area off.

Ski resorts in France are run slightly differently to those in the US, a lot of them are private and not public land, and those that are public land are run as private businesses and rent the land from the owners (sometimes the government). As such all accidents that require medical attention need to be reported to the authorities for investigation, it is the same as someone turning up to your place of work and the hot water in the toilets scalding them to the point of requiring medical attention, someone will investigate and even if no liability is found to exist they may make recommendations for improved safety.

The police investigating the accident is nothing unusual, especially considering that there was hospital treatment required and would happen no matter who was injured.

Back
Top Bottom