Qualifying restructured

F1 qualifying: New format in place for start of 2016 season

So the timing software changes get rushed through. Half way through qually the computer timing system crashes and we have a 3 hour delay followed by 1 bloke with a stop watch standing at the side of the track.

Excellent :popcorn:
Especially if it's Bernie & he gets his officially sponsored Hublot watch out & starts timing.

Paddy - I'm sure the Mercs were faster than the Ferrari's Bernie....

Bernie - Sorry Paddy the watch says both Ferrari's are 4 seconds up.

Yes KekeTheKing I think I mentioned before that change. Thankfully they had thevsense to change it. Hopefully if this doesn't work they'll do the same.

I think for political reasons though the FIA will hold on to this format whatever the weather in order to not back down in front of the drivers.

I've already said today that the one lap 2005 format is really the best option. You herbage one lap one chance situation for the drivers, you get to see a full lap from every driver and all the small times are guaranteed TV time so can attract more sponsors.

Just picking up on a point in the Alonso thread from teabagyokel (which appears to be going badly off course) if we go back to one hour qualifying the lower order teams can send their cars out eraly on in the session to get some TV exposure whilst the big teams keep their powder dry waiting for the last 10/15 minutes.

I still think one hour, no knock out, with the average of 3 or 4 runs in the session would work well though. It would make everyone get out and drive.

While I agree, sadly the powers that be would assume the newbies that Brundle welcomes to F1 all season would find aggregate times too complex.

Williams deputy team principal Claire Williams believes those not in favour of Formula 1's new qualifying format should reserve judgement until after the Australian Grand Prix.

"Let's wait and see. It's too early to judge. I'd like to get to Melbourne and see how it plays out and then we will comment on it.

"If it doesn't work then fine. We tried. All we are trying to do is make this sport more exciting, which is what everyone wants."
It took two decades to get rid of refuelling... :ermmm:

Last edited:
Yes KekeTheKing
I've already said today that the one lap 2005 format is really the best option. You herbage one lap one chance situation for the drivers, you get to see a full lap from every driver and all the small times are guaranteed TV time so can attract more sponsors.

I think we could have had best of both worlds have Q1 & Q2 knockout qualification untouched with 7 to go in both & top 8 1 shot qualification/superpole where drivers go out in reverse q2 order 8th > 1st. & with q3 that way we would eliminate the problem of tv director missing majority of the pole lap

I'd be happy with a 1 hour open session to set the fastest time using whatever exotic fuel mixture & qualifying spec engine the teams can dream up.

Although I'd stop that Rene Arnoux from setting a promising early time, then on his 2nd session dumping a load of oil on the tight chicane......not that that ever happened

Problem with this format is that once the last car has been eliminated there is no incentive to go out to do a lap
in Q2 and Q3

Still not sure I understand but still thought I would share.

9156_10153306261140653_3880706700606264142_n.jpg

thanks for clearing it up

Still prefer q3 to be shoot out to the end

Let's see Mclaren make a mess of this qualifying format like they have done enough times with current format

I would have thought that Ferrari were likely to be the cock-up champions.

"No, no, Kimi, there's no need for you to go out again, you're safe".

Other drivers have also had the same experience.:snigger:

I am quite interested to see how Australian gp qualification goes in few hours because if the reaction is negative ie aggregate qualifying back somehow a decade ago. I can see it being tweaked or scrapped by European season spain or mid season around Canada ish. If we going down this route. which we didnt need to mess with qualifying, I wouldve had this new qualification in Q1 & Q2, then either kept Q3 ala 2015 or gone for a 8 man 1 lap shootout. Where a drivers go 1 at a time in reverse Q2 order

Well that was a joke, at least in the final part of Q3 qualifying, we did get to see Hamilton spice it up with us all guessing whether he'd step on the scales with his left foot first or even maybe his right foot first.

Can these great thinkers stop farting around with our sport, you're even making it now embarrassing for the fans to mention in public they love F1, without the fear of being ridiculed.

This was absolutely disgusting......I really felt sorry for those fans, who probably spent good money too watch such shiit, called qualifying at Australia. A racetrack that is one of my favorites.......>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom