Qualifying restructured

My fear is that all of the action will be in the first 7 minutes of the sessions - as there is an incentive for teams to under-fuel their cars (particularly if they are marginal between getting through or not). - which could lead to cars cruising round at relatively very slow speeds for the remainder of the session...

Maybe I should qualify that:

As things stand the guy directing the tv coverage almost without fail misses the cars on their quick laps. I can only imagine this getting worse, and we'll be watching cars meandering around willynilly for an hour. As things stand coming upon a car pootling round in the middle of the road is a major pain in the arse. Multiplying that eventuality is inevitable with this system and consequently shit is going happen. I could go on but I need to throw up:sick:...

Last edited:
"Qualifying will remain as a one-hour session, split into three segments, but drivers must be on track throughout each part until they get knocked out."

So they will have to be fuelled up to cover as far as they expect to get in each session with no chance to change tyres. Yes, I do suspect that this is not what they mean but it is what they say. But what does happen when a car runs out of petrol?

The final shoot out will be on worn tyres which are not super-soft and possibly not even the next softest.

Devil Take the Hindmost is a great spectacle in cycle racing but not F1.

The guys who have come up with this want to mix up the grid and make for better racing on a Sunday. However, since this particular generation of cars can't follow or overtake one another without the assistance of DRS, they are more likely to recreate a succession of Trully train wrecks.

Just be done with it and have a1 hour sprint race on the Saturday to decide the grid. Start the cars in reverse championship order and bosh, you get your 1 hour of cars on track, you get a mixed up grid and you get action.

All though my favourite option is to go back to the way it was before they messed around with it.

i know its not to do with qualifying restructure but recently there has been some of the discussions theyve had in stratergy group & according to adam cooper f1 on twitter "Another idea mooted by Ron Dennis was a 'Rookie Cup' with reserve drivers doing a sprint race in third cars. It didn't get support"

Adam Cooper on Twitter

despair at f1 teams sometimes. they vote thru 2 moronic stupid ideas & they finally propose a decent idea. its binned & ive got to stop reading the stuff that comes out of the strategy group because any more & i'll want to ring there :censored: necks for being a bunch of complete & absolute :censored: morons
:givemestrength::spank:

Well, good old F1 truly ****s up one of the few elements of the race weekend that was pretty close to spot-on.
Why meddle with something that takes 45 minutes (ignoring ****ing adverts) rather than the hour-and-a-half+ race?

Can't wait to see this work around Monaco with a driver needing to get a better lap AND get past a queue of those who don't.
What will the penalties be for blocking when there is nowhere to ****ing go, to get out of the way?

Can't wait to see it around Spa or ...... in fact, any tracks where the lap record is more than the 90 seconds.
Will the cut-off time be absolute, or will laps started be allowed to finish and even overlap (no pun intended) next cut-off?

Can't wait to see which order they leave the pit lane, as a Merc first can dictate whole session staying just out of reach.
Will this be a dictated order, or will be see drivers parking up around midnight and sleeping over like the ****ing January sales?

Total almighty screw-up .... in my most humble opinion! :givemestrength: :bawl: :bangfists: >:(
And the races will probably still be as boring as :tumbleweed:

Last edited:
Who thought this rubbish up? Bernie? It will be very easy to manipulate the outcome, that's for sure.

I can hear someone saying that they wouldn't dare do that, but this is F1 of course they would, and they will. I imagine each team has already formulated a "cheat your way through qualifying plan" already.

Finalised as of today.

I Don't think it was Bernie's idea. I think it was the 'working' group.

Titch I'm not sure how the new format lends itself to cheating more than any other format really but we all know cheating has gone in F1 since the days of the 50's so none of us will be shocked.

i think you will find around Monaco and Singapore there could be some serious mayhem especially if people get in each other's way
the only reason for doing this is because everyone is dreads once the Mercedes hit the track its like pointless viewing

Whilst I generally view this as a fix where none was required, I actually quite like the idea. I do think that it will actually change very little in real terms, unless the times are "reset" after each elimination, although I cannot see this being the case.

So in essence, what you will get in Q1 will be all the cars rushing to get a quick banker lap in, then pitting, and watching the timing screens to see if they think that they will need to go out again (Sound familiar?) The top teams will still go out towards the end of the allowable time, so there could be the opportunity for a cock up with timing, although it looks like McLaren will already be in the bottom end of the times so that would just leave Ferrari!!

Oh well, as with all things, I shall see how it all pans out.

In theory it could work, could be quite interesting. I'll be keen to see how it translates on track anyway. But what we had was good, so why meddle? We've had some pretty dire quali formats in the past.
There was the time when all the cars went out one at a time, It was dire and fans stopped buying tickets for quali. I always thought that was why they brought in the three day tickets for the same price as a race day ticket, to stop the stands being empty for quali. I remember one year deciding only to buy a race day ticket for this very reason ( at Silverstone) and to go and watch quali on the big screen in the Jordan factory. And then they introduced the three day ticket for the same price.
But I digress. The thing is quali has been pretty good recently, so this new format has to go some to top it.

Back
Top Bottom