Grand Prix 2023 Japanese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The fly away races are now in full swing, and after the blip in Singapore I think we can probably expect Max and Red Bull to reimpose themselves on the 2023 F1 season. You will know that the Japanese love motor racing. They produced engines which have changed the sport. Their huge motor industry has dabbled in making cars, with variable levels of success, and there have been a number of Japanese F1 drivers, none of which has ever won an F1 race.

For something a bit different, here's a story about a Japanese F1 team I suspect many of you will have not heard of, Kojima Engineering.

Matsuhisa Kojima was a motocross rider in Japan. As well as being involved with motor sport he also imported bananas, from which he amassed a sizeable fortune which he used to fund a small engineering business building single seater race cars. This was at the height of the garagiste era in F1, when you could buy a competitive engine from Cosworth, bolt it to a chassis, and go motor racing.

At the Japanses GP in 1976 Kojima unveiled the KE007 (interesting car Mr Bond), driven by Masahiro Hasemi. In the first qualifying session he was 4th fastest (they had two sessions on a Friday and Saturday back then) before he binned it in the second session and the car had to be rebuilt. Hasemi eventually started 10th. You will know that this was a very wet race, won by Mario Andretti. The Kojima car finished 11th and was initially credited with fastest lap. Ther were problems with the timing system and this was eventually awarded to Jacques Laffite in the Ligier.

1695299595344.png

At the Japanese race in 1977 two Kojima KE009's were entered, one by Kojima Engineering the other by Hero's racing. The Kojima car was retired after running over debris whilst the Hero car went on to finish 11th.

Kojima never entered another international race, concentrating on making F2 cars for the Japanese series. Can you imagine in modern F1 a team being allowed to build a car to only enter one round of the championship? Sadly I doubt this will ever happen again.

This is the timing for Sky's coverage in the UK. It's an early start if you want to watch it live. I'd wait and see what happens in practice myself, as another Red Bull walk over isn't really worth setting an early alarm for now is it?

1695299980243.png

Last edited:
due to my maths being hopefully right. i think verstappen needs 4th or better in a qatar sprint to become champion, i wonder when was the last time a champion was crowned on a saturday

Aston Martin last 7 races showing copying a car works short term but if you dont understand why your quick, then you'll go backwards quickly as everyone else updates & gets quicker. because aston martin would be upset at 4th constructors in saudi but now 5th looks very likely with mclaren resurgence
1695543964391.png

As much as the result was inevitable and predictable, it was too bad a watch with the racing down the field. Probably not worth the 5:30 am start though.

If Hamilton could overtake Perez and take second in the championship I think I'd laugh hard enough to crack a rib or two.

Perez's head has completely gone. I get the points about him being a second tier driver and the car being designed fully around Verstappen but Red Bull have also dumped on him from a great height as well.

Let's look at the start of the season until Miami. Perez had two wins and a sprint race win, 2 poles, 1 fastest lap, a second and a 5th. Verstappen had 3 wins, 2 poles, 2 fastest laps, 2 seconds and a sprint 3rd. So far so even. Verstappen leads the championship 119 points to 105.

Remember of course that Perez was leading in Miami until RBR decided to give Verstappen all of the strategy calls.

Perez goes on to crash out in Q1 of the Monaco GP and hasn't got anywhere near Verstappen either in qualifying or on track ever since. Even when he does lead races, the pit stop calls always go to his teammate.

When you add up the fact he's an average driver, in a car not suited to him and that his team couldn't give a fig about his race weekend performances, he's completely wasting his time at Red Bull.

When you’ve got one of the best F1 cars ever made, and you decide to send one up the inside of a hairpin, against the Haas of Kevin Magnussen, your asking for trouble. No patience or race awareness. A 2nd rate driver in a car far to good for his capabilities.

Like I said, he was good enough in it at the start of the season but his heads gone. He's looking worse now because of the circumstances within the team.

I almost feel sorry for him.

He was more consistent last season when he knew he was number 2. The start he had this year has given him a false hope.

Like I said, he was good enough in it at the start of the season but his heads gone. He's looking worse now because of the circumstances within the team.

I almost feel sorry for him.

He was more consistent last season when he knew he was number 2. The start he had this year has given him a false hope.
im surprise how much confidence, can play apart in this. i think in hindsight miami ruined him to be on pole & verstappen 9th he was breezed by & beaten so easily.

Given that Red Bull have in the past sacked drivers seemingly for shits and giggles, if Perez makes it on to the grid with RBR next season it shows they really don't give a fig about their second car.

The trouble is, if they accidentally replace Perez with a young driver who is actually good it may really upset the Great Orange One.

The arrival of Danny Ric forced Vettel to "reconsider his future", one would assume that even Max has a sell by date and Red Bull the "Brand" may well want a shiny, new face to help promote their fizzy filth at some time in the near future, especially now they are under new management. It's certainly not the best PR to have had the father of your Golden Child arrested for domestic abuse, or for his girlfriend's father to have been fined for racism and homophobia. Oddly, Kelly has been rather absent from the F1 paddock since the incident involving Nelson.

Given that Red Bull have in the past sacked drivers seemingly for shits and giggles, if Perez makes it on to the grid with RBR next season it shows they really don't give a fig about their second car.

The trouble is, if they accidentally replace Perez with a young driver who is actually good it may really upset the Great Orange One.
i may end up coming back to this or not but i think perez might go mid season & lawson makes a 2nd debut at zandvoort again

because its extremely lucky that for the 1st time i can remember, there was no one who was available. all the big drivers are under contract & more importantly happy where they are. because i said at the start of the year if mclaren dont improve back to there 2021 form. Norris would be at red bull signed by now for 2024. but if perez is as bad at the start of 2024 as he is now. i think Riccardo moves up & lawson slots back with tsunoda

Last edited:
How is this for a conspiracy theory?
When RB bonked in Singapore, my wife said they were faking it. She didn't know why, probably for gambling or smth, but you don't go from winning by a landslide to 11th overnight. I tried to explain the bumpy street track versus ride height and the plank and stuff... but what if she was right?
What if RB faked it in Singapore, to win the title in Suzuka, home of Honda?

Their loss of performance in Singapore is bizarre compared to how well Verstappen ran in Monaco as an example. Then, when you look at the race itself, Verstappen seemed to make his way back through the field relatively comfortably.

I doubt it was faked for Honda's benefit given the car isn't supposedly a proper Honda.

Who knows? :dunno:

Back
Top Bottom